Marantz PM-6010 OSE Integrated Amplifiers

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by Badger a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I´ve had this amp for about 4 months, i´m quite pleased with it. It works fine with my cd-player (denon dcd-635) and my speakers Infinity delta40) I used to have Yamaha rxv-396.This amp is a lot better than my old one. Marantz did not work wery well with my old cd-changer(yamaha cdc-585)bass was missing, when i bought denon, bass was much better. I recommend this amp to person who has limited money capasity and who prefers good soud quality

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Matt vanderLugt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a great amp for the price. It is probably not the most suitable amp for hard rock but for jazz/blues/classical/acoustic and just about anything else it is superb. It is detailed enough but won't bother with excessive amounts of information that so often detracts from the music. Be warned however, if you put this amp up against something like the Rotel RA02 or even the cheaper NAD320BEE in the shop, the latter two will sound more 'impressive' but I can guarantee that after extensive listening sessions (and perhaps breaking in) the Marantz wins on its very musical treatment of music. Of the three this one was the amp that drew me into the emotion of the music more. If you have the equivalent of AUD800 to spare, give it a try. I am using it with a Rega Planet CD player, ALR/Jordan Entry S speakers, Athena P2 sub and Kimber Kable 4VS spk cables and KK Hero interconnect. Love it!

Purchased At:   Myer Melbourne

Submitted by Will Williams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Iam well pleased with this amp, it has a nice relaxed sound with good control, transparency & is reasonably detailed.
Build quality is good & it looks a real beast! but dont let it's appearence fool you as it's actually a bit of a sheep in a woolfs clothing. What could be a problem to some people is it's lack of slam which is most noticeable in some types of music such as rock & dance, so clubers & headbangers should look elsewhere! Me I'm a laid back 51 yr old into more mellow sounds, even so there are times when I could do with a bit more attack to some tracks of music that I play.
I have heard it reccomended that it's best to partner Marantz equipment with smooth sounding speakers such as Tannoy, that is not the way for me, I had the 6010 partnered with a Marantz 6000ose CDP
& Tannoy M2 speakers, the sound had bass & scale aplenty but too laidback & muddy sonding. I now use Mission 771e's, not much bass but a much more clear, detailed & lively sound with excellent imaging.

All in all a very good amp from Marantz.

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence

Submitted by Daniel Tomovich a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
This was a great choice for me. I used this amp in a medium room and it had no problems making my speakers perform (B&W 602 S2). Unfortunately, I upgraded this to an amplifier I could not afford, and as a result I had to sell all my audio equipment to pay off a debt. Had I kept this amp I would have been better off.

I found out that to buy an amp from the same company with twice the power output (95 watts RMS 8ohms) did not result in double the sound pressure of 50 watts RMS (8ohms). I did not know at the time that the power required was exponential to sound pressure.

I would recommended this amp for those who are on a budget and are happy enough with the power output of 50 watts RMS (8ohms). In terms of quality there should be no problems. It was very good. It has a high Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) of 99dB. Some more expensive amps don't have a SNR this good. The rated total harmonic distortion is very low too 0.008 %. SNR ratio is a good guauge of the quality. Higher SNR means lower distortion (I had no idea about SNR before hand). Amps with a very high SNR usually have a correspondingly high price. This amp is an exception. The marantz PM17 has a SNR of 112dB, but at 3 times the price.

The marantz amp I upgraded to for double the price (PM8000) had a lower SNR ratio of 89dB. But in this case I was paying extra for the power. So, with amps with more power, you are probably paying for the extra wattage output and not the extra quality. Look at the SNR. This amp is worth considering before buying a more expensive amplifier.

It is up to you what you value the most. Take a listen and compare a few amps. I am probably not the person to give advice as I prefer the marantz brand and have less experience with other brands.

However, if you buy a good marantz product I think that there will be no need to upgrade to another amplifier, because they do make some of the best 2 channel amps in the price range.

When I can afford it I will strongly consider buying the PM6010OSE again. I would only buy the PM17 if I have the excess cash.

Purchased At:   AV Domain (discontin

Submitted by Andrew Keast a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great, samshin, super.....I am using the Marantz in a studio set up. I am running my Roland VM3100 Pro Mixing desk straight into the marantz, then into a pair of Soundcraft Absolute Zeros(speakers) The sound is clear,solid and is just what I need to produce and mix progressive dance tracks. I am using Cable talk, speaker cable and interconnects, which I have always used. I dont play CD's through the Marantz but I am convinced it will perform well.

I have returned to the Hi Fi route as my "studio" amp by Phonic caused me nothing but problems. Any studio users, try the 6010 it cuts the mustard.

Purchased At:   B+B Hi Fi Newbury