Marantz PM-16 Integrated Amplifiers

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by 11thacrdat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
One great amplifier

Submitted by Frank Siesling a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great sounding amplifier. Very detailed high en mid range and a very controled bass section. I've used it with a Marantz CD17 KI/CD6000ose, Scan Speak Reference Plus speakers/ B&W Nautilus. After tying a lot of different amps, I decided to stick to this one. What a great amplifier. Although it's a intergrated amplifier, you have to replace it with a heavy pre/end combi to get same results. I bought it very cheap at 750 Euro's. The PM16 is extremely well build, also the finsh is great. It's looks just like the recent PM14 model.

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Submitted by paul wong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
I brought this for almost one year and found that it is very suitable for jazz, instumental playing, it brings me to music heaven every evening. I enjoy it very much.

Submitted by Joël Asquier a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
This Amp doesn't lack anything: power, bass, detail, a perfect placing of instruments and voices, it never sounds stressed or sharp but utterly fantastic with any kind of music I tested (of course Opera, Symphony, Chamber Music, Jazz but also Zouk, Bossa Nova, Salsa …)

I really want to point out that this Amp doesn't lack any bass, and have to say that it is driving perfectly my diabolically good Jean Marie Reynaud Evolution 3 loudspeakers.

To conclude, I give it without hesitation a five star for the price I bought it ($980 by today's exchange rate with two years guarantee), and at this price it's definitively worth for the money however I'd given a four star for the suggested retail.

You can't go wrong with this one, believe it!

Submitted by Ben a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a very,very,good sounding amplifier. After reading several tests , in wich this amplifier always had the
highest possible ranking , i decided to check it out for myself. I could take one at home to try it in my own livingroom , with my own speakers (Magnepan 1.5). I really
was impressed by its performances. Indeed the bass-section is less powerfull then the PM17 , but this isn't a problem if one owns Magnepan speakers. The sound is so clear and detailed , its a lust for my ears. I payed a very acceptable price for it ($ 2500,- for the PM16 and a CD17).
For the lack of bass , special on the older recordings , i decided to buy a active subwoofer. Sound is now heavenly.

PANAMAX: