Marantz 1060 solid state integrated amp circa 1975 Integrated Amplifiers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

The $245 1975 dealers MSRP apx equals $1000.00 in 2007 prices.

Submitted by greg stant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
I got this Marantz 1060 at a thrift store for $1.95. It was dirty. It was like it had some sort of fertilizer on it. I was in the back with this guy looking for an IBM 'clicky' keyboard. I saw this under a load of trash. I asked the guy what he would want for it. Best deal I have ever made.

The balance pot was real scratchy. And the speaker button stuck. I wiped the unit down and sprayed a little contact cleaner on the button and the pot(s). Also, there is no on/off switch. thank god it is stuck on On. (I don't knowwhether I will even fix it.)

Next I had to get some speakers. So I settled on a pair of Klipsch KG-1.2's from another thrift store for $60+tax. I had a choice of the Klipsch's or - KEF Coda 7's or - B&W's. I thought the Klipsch's would be a better match.

What I like about this set up is how well it sounds at a low volume. The Klipsch's are so thrifty with the wattage.

Here is the funny thing. I have these upstairs in my bedroom. I replaced a BOSE Wave Radio I was pretty sick of. The funny thing is my girlfriend was lying on the bed and she says, "it sounds like it is coming from the middle." "That is imaging," I said. Well she doesn't know what imaging is but she knows what it sounds like. Very funny.

So, I thought about getting this unit cleaned. But right now it is working perfectly. Compared to my Mythos ST's with the Onkyo Integra M-504 amp, it is just great.

So, I have always wanted to get a Leica at a thrift store for 50 buck. I doubt I ever will. Two dollars for the 1060 was just great.

Submitted by JOHN TOONEN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2012

Bottom Line:
I HAVE HAD MY MARANTZ 1060 SINCE 1973. IHAD TO REPLACE THE POWER SWITCH WITH A TOGGLE SWITCH AFTER ABOUT 5 YAERS. RECENTLY CLEANED THE CONTROLS WITH ELECTRICAL CLEANER AND BLEW OUT THE DUST. CLEANED UP THE OPTIONAL WALNUT COVER. STILL LOOKS LIKE 1973.
IT IS STILL IN USE AND SOUNDS FANTASTIC. I WILL NEVER SELL IT.

Submitted by Mark D a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased my 1060 new when I was 23 years old and I am now 60. At the time, I also bought Altec Bolero speakers, which to this day, sound rich and almost 3D. I still have them both, but now, the 1060 drives a pair of Polk Audio speakers. Over the years I have had many amps and none of them can come close to the clarity and excellent reproduction of music. It is important to note that in the nearly 40 years I have had this beauty, it has only seen the repair shop once. It is difficult to describe the sound other than clear and precise. The highs are wonderful with no harshness, which allows the bass to "be there" without the overpowering mud that frequently happens.

I love this thing and will repair/replace it should it ever die. The way it has stood up, I will probably go first!

Submitted by Ian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've had this amp for about two years now, and it is simply beautiful. It produces a rich warm sound. Great phonograph stage. The only drawback is the power. It is fine for bookshelf or very efficient speakers. I recently got a pair of floor standing Vienna Acoustic Mozarts, and the power was a bit lacking. I added a pair of marantz ma500 mono blocks and use the 1060 as a preamplifier only. I'm in musical heaven now.

Submitted by Marcus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
I found this Marantz 1060 Amp to be a very remarkable amp. I use it mostly for my home recording studio. I am by no means anything to brag about, But this amp lets me hear everything. If you have something this nice, you NEED nice speakers. I use it also as a stereo amp when I'm not recording. Any thing musically you put threw this amp, makes it sound good. Many different components went threw this amp, and made every one sound awesome. The only problem that i had in the 12 years I've owned one, is that my on/off switch crapped out on me. I can use it, but it doesn't like to stay on. So i finally got it to stick. Now it stays on all the time. Every thing I have ever used this for, by far has been the very best in every way possible way.

SFLAT: