Marantz 1060 solid state integrated amp circa 1975 Integrated Amplifiers

4.92/5 (12 Reviews)

The $245 1975 dealers MSRP apx equals $1000.00 in 2007 prices.

Submitted by David Rapalyea a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2017

Bottom Line:
I now have the dream system of my youth in 1975! Back then I spent my money on speakers and bought a pair of used KEF 104s at $250 each. About half new price. I still have those speakers and only needed to replace the grills.

Fifteen years ago I bought a Marantz 1060s with new capacitors, a top of the line Sony SACD player and an ancient technics direct drive turn table and put a custom KAB cartridge on it. I have an extensive collection of half speed master recordings, both pre CD era and modern. The modern ones are even better! [Just last week I sold an unopened Sgt Peppers MFSL UHQR for more then $600 I bought as an investment back in 1982 for $50.]

Anyway, I have been one happy audiophile for a long time and the 1060 just makes my day. Weirdly, I now feed it mostly with an audiophile internet radio tuner on stations with 300 kbs such as Lynn. Call me one happy LAZY audiophile!

Submitted by Richard Handler a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2017

Bottom Line:
Bought new in 1972, when I was 25, and still enjoying 45 years later. Only problem is a noisy, scratchy balance pot which sometimes fails to read R channel input. Had not been used in months. However as I resume using regularly, this is clearing up. Reliability certains exceeds what I read in reviews of modern integrated amplifiers!

Submitted by Rx7man a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2016

Bottom Line:
Hardly anything I can add to the reviews already posted.. the 1060 is great, and has the trademark Marantz warmth. At 30 WPC, it will not be a party animal to be heard down the block... If you're reading this, it's probably not you intend to use it for anyhow..
It WILL however fill a a living room with crisp, warm sound. Couple it with a speaker that has a good 6-8" woofer.
It has some nice features as well, 3 tone controls, as well as a decent set of inputs for a small unit, Tape (Rear panel, RCA and DIN), Tuner, Phono, Mic (Front panel), Aux 1 (rear panel), Aux 2 (Front panel, shared with Mic), Headphones output, and Mono selection

I picked up my unit at the local landfill (SCORE!!!), wood cabinet has some scratches, the switches were sticky and the faceplate was very dirty.. A little bit of cleaning, some compressed air on the insides and some contact cleaner and it's good to go.

They were relatively common, and as such can be found without incredible 'collector' premiums, and I'd recommend one to anybody.

Submitted by Vidyut Jamwal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2015

Bottom Line:
My Father purchased this amplifier when he was a young man. I inherited it when I was born. I first used it in my young teens and didn't really know then that I had a gem. I first used it with a SEAS kit. This combo was a dream. In my youth I felt the need to replace it with my own amplifier. at the time multi channel was just about coming into the market. I went auditioning but nothing compared to the 1060. Later on I realised that it was a dream of an amplifier. The 30 wpc rating as most people here have said is indeed a bit too conservative. apart from that the amplifier is 1 ohm stable. In my youth I've done some silly things. One of them was connecting every single speaker I owned to the amplifier at the same time. it sounded incredible and is still alive and going strong. the amplifier has been placed on its side while operating and had all its grills covered. its never run hot or been damaged. at one point I used it to run 4 ohm subwoofers and it did just fine.

On a more serious note. this amplifier has a modular design so one can use the preamplifier. or power amplifier separately. its Preamplifier is easily the best vintage preamplifier I've ever owned. Its phono stage is out of this world. and the line inputs can take a fair amount of level abuse before there's noticeable saturation and distortion.

aesthetically this is a beautiful piece of kit. some might not like its form factor as it is slightly smaller than the standard 17 inch wide components of today. so if you had your heart set on placing a modern cd player on top of it you might be disappointed.

I now own three and use them in different rooms in my house. they work well with most speakers but try them with some high efficiency drivers (like fostexs or lowthers or audio nirvanas) and you will be blown away. Its usually described as a soft warm sound so the absolute best match would be a pair of overly bright detailed speakers. but that's all just a matter of opinion.

one can usually find these quite cheaply and usually working quite well. after 40 years there may be some mechanical switch issues but I have no problems on any of mine. its well worth the investment. probably the best vintage budget gear that's also pleasing to look at like most of the Marantz gear from that era.

Submitted by Richard Donohue a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
Well, well I said when offered a 1971 Marantz 1060 with a pair of original Bose 901's with working inline equalizer and a Philips 212 Electronic turntable all in SUPERB! condition. For a low end amp. at 30 watts per channel it sounds great. ( My last setup was Mark Levenson 380s series preamp w/ Levenson 39 cd transport DAC. through Sonus Faber Guinary Homage speakers and REL Storm sub Brits did good on this) smoken real sound and more depth image than a cave. For almost 30,000 it should. But this set up is in my living room and sounds great. Nothing close to the presence given buy the last setup. I'd give up fast food to get that one back.