Luxman LV-105u Integrated Amplifiers

4.11/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Stereo Integrated Amplifier - 80 Watts

Submitted by gadget1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
i dont agree with any of the other reveiws that i read
conpared to other tube amps the 105 is very nice pc. for the money
i paid 300.00 bucks for mine and running a pair of martin logans with it
and have money to buy what is very high end,but why sounds great at any level
maybe the other guys need new power tubes mine are brand new and makes big difference
the gadgetman,

Submitted by caitjens a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Lv_105u new about 15 years ago. I would have to agree with a couple of the other reviews. The bass performance is relatively poor, at higher listening levels, the mid range is muddled. On the positive side the sound is soft, and at lower volumes with the bass turned up it sounds great.

Submitted by Perj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
This amp just does it. I have had many different amps, Jolida tube, Audio Note,
Sugden, Musical fidelity etc. The sound is smooth with a great soundstage, I have no problems with the sound when i crank it up to higher volumes, it still have good crisp highs, mellow mids and a good bass. The best thing is that you can purchase it for about 250 USD in DK in mint condition. The tubes used is still made and not hard to get (type: 6CG7)

Submitted by Pontus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp has a smooth sound with comparably good soundstaging and detail. Low bass could be firmer and more powerful.
A lot more detail and soundstage can be found in my current 300B SE amp (8 watts), but the Lux definitely has got more overall punch and drive.

Contrary to what has been stated in a previous review the tubes DO affect the sound. I have A/B tested two diffrenet LV-105u with somewhat worn and really worn stock tubes. Then tried some EI tubes and they all sounded notably different, not surprisingly the newer the tubes the better the sound.

Overall verdict: This amp sounds sweet and relaxed, equally so for all kinds of music. However, really compressed material (typically pop/rock) played at high levels can sound a bit muddled.

Interestingly the original owner of the amp decided to upgrade to a 60´s RCA amp. Yes, we do have some vintage US gear in Sweden, although not too many (except for Dynaco which is quite common).

Purchased At:   private ad 6 yrs ago

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm actually writing here about the original LV-103, not the 105. But the design characteristics carry over to the 105. The U versions are an improvement, but these Luxman units are poorly designed with cheap parts and constricted output. The preamp stage I'm told is worse in design then the output stage, so just using this thing as a preamp is not worth bothering since better stuff can be had by other companies. The tubes I've also been told make NO effect on the sound quality, so there presense is superficial for looks only. Only one part of the tube is even used. Now for my review on the 103:

I have had 3 60 watt high current amps in my life so far. The Lux is in the middle of the 3. I have the original LV-103 from 1985, not the "U" version from 1986-on. I have always wanted one of these units because of its tubes in the design and the smooth sound these amps had. I found this one on Ebay for $175 US. I wish I had the U version since it allowed pre-outputs for an external amp. The reason for this is the current output of this Lux is rather weak. It only puts out 8 amps of power and anything above the sound is quite distorted and falls apart. I'm currently trying to get a pre-output connection wired into my Luxman. I will then go back to a Rotel amp for the output stage. My setup includes B&W 602 series 2 speakers. I have noticed on music transient peaks this amp just sounds weak. My Rotel used to scare me when the woofer kicks out a bass peak especially on classical music. The Lux seems rather tame. Given my Denon wasn't much better, it did handle peaks better though. The problem with the Denon was sound wasn't as clean and highs were gritty. The Rotels have excellent current capability. Now as for the sound from the 103, it is very smooth which I'm wonder if the tubes are responsible for- but told they aren't. At lower volumes the quality of sound is quite good and very open. The soundstage is excellent as I can hear where the location of voices and instruments at low volume. When the volume is cranked, the sound stage falls apart though and sounds conjested. It still has the smoothness to it, just not as lively. The highs are clean with the Lux. There is some hiss to be heard from the unit when there is no sound playing. I'm told the tubes add noise and distortion to the signal which gives it that tube sound quality. I have looked into getting this unit upgraded with a few better parts installed. I looked into substituting the MOSFET transistors (since the one in this unit are no longer made) for BJT or Darlington transistors. One guy did sub to Darlingtons and had success in doing so. He said he rebiased the amp and it gave slightly better power output. But he did warn this may not always work. Others I have talked to said you cannot switch from one type of transistor (MOSFET) to another type (BJT, Darlington) as it will simply not work and destroy the amp. I also looked into replacing the old capacitors to a slit foil type or polypropeline types. Apparently modding this unit according to quite a few is futile since its design is the limiting factor. Apparently the parts quality isn't the greatest and the design itself makes this unit very hard to improve it meaning stuck with a poor amp. Well anyway I have yet to work out what I will do to the Lux. It would be better to just get the Conrad Johnson tube preamp and a decent power amp like a Bryston or such. Of course they cost bucks though. Tubes aren't cheap and it seems the Lux LV-103 and 105 were the cheapest units to offer tubes as far as I've seen. Of course the tubes in the Lux are only in the preamp stage acting as a buffer. It's hard to know if this is true or not that the tubes effect the sound quality. By design in the circuit path they don't. Apparently the Luxman units from the mid 80s-on were poorly designed pieces. Apparently the 103 is in this group. The sound is still quite good for average listening and its probably better then the sound coming from todays receivers for the money I spent ($175 US). The list price for the 103 in Canadian when I saw these things out was $1000. The 105 listed for $1200. So these things weren't cheap by any standards. Technology has surpassed however the performance of these units and you can buy better stuff out there now for the same money the 103 cost when new. Make note the LV-103 U was not offered in North America in 1988-89 according to the brochure I have. So the U versions may never have been released in North America. I do know the 103 I have is rare to find, as the 105s are more common- though still hard to find used. People seem to be holding onto these hybrid amps. Don't get me wrong- I do like the 103 however limited it is. I will be keeping it partially out of nostalgia and collecting units like these. When I upgrade to a Conrad Johnson preamp I will probably keep my Lux for a spare unit.

To sum up- clear smooth sound and great soundstage. Sound falls apart at higher levels and lacks current in producing peaks in music that impress the listener. Bass in this unit also seems weak, but is still there. Tubes don't effect sound quality. Keep in mind parts for these things are becoming hard to find to fix these things without chaging the design all together. I keep the preheat on on this unit. If they are turned off it does take a minute for the relays to kick in to tell the amp is ready for sound output as it warms up.

In all getting decent tube sound isn't cheap. I would stick with Rotel units if you want decent power and sound. Buying this thing used wasn't such a bad deal. I'm just picky.

Purchased At:   Ebay auction