Luxman L-505u Integrated Amplifiers

2x100W (8O) Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by Ricardo Takao Oikawa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
My amp is currently with about 70 hours break in and is stil improving sonically. Highs are silker and with better resolution on the top end and mids are getting nicely warmer. Out of the box L-505u sounded great from the very beginning but for my tasting it lacked a bit of warmth. Anyway, it wasn't a kind of clinical overbright sound at all. I'd say it was more a neutral sound. Now I can define it as being on neutral to warm side.

As regards, dynamics and bass response for my ears are about the same. I couldn't detect huge differences. If there's a significant matter about dynamics is amp temperature. L-505u needs at least 30 min warm up to achieve its all potential. Cold it sounds with compressed dynamics.

I would like to add one more info to my personal review. Power is really underestimated at a very conservative standard. My former integrated amp Sansui AU-a707KX (23Kg) is rated 130wpc at 8 ohms but L-505u sounds much more powerful. At 9 o'clock position (1/4) my Monitor Audio Studio 6 speakers produce a similar sound pressure as Sansui's 12 o'clock. I reckon L-505u's real power is about 150W per channel at least.

Submitted by Ricardo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've read some reviews qualifying L-505U as being valvelike, but I disagree. It's a very natural and neutral amp which shows how the balance of your system is exactly as it is (not cold nor warm). Its mids resolution are not stelar as regards transparence, but it is good enough to be setteld among the best available at its price range. Luxman L-505u hasn't got any aparent weakness and is outstandingly balanced in all frequency range. It can handle the majority of speakers on the market. Power is never a issue at all. It looks like having much more power than rated. Actually Luxman is very conservative about specs of its products. Bass lines are impressively accurate and realistic (taut and fast) and outperform Accuphase E-213 by a good margin. Accuphase E-250 is much more expensive than L-505u but the former is not better. That's why I chose Lux without hesitation (E-250 costs twice as much outside Japan). I'm quite happy with my new integrated amp.

Submitted by paulyh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
This amplifier is really great. I bought it brand new and let it burn in for about 200 hours before I had a good listen. I just let it play for 8 days and nights. Wow this really makes a huge difference. In the first few days there was hardly any warmth and bass, but after 8 days it had a bass like I have never heard before. Don't get me wrong, this is not a boom kind of bass, but it is as tight as you can image. I am usually not very fond of a big bass sound, because this usually results in a boomy sound, but I really fell in love with this bass, what a super control. I also love this amp for the big sound stage and the superb detail with which it plays.
The power of this amp is rated on 100w per channel, but it sounds like a amp with twice or more power. It can handle probably most speaker with super ease.
This is really worth an audition.

Before this I have also listened for a few weeks to accuphases 405 and 408. These amplifiers have a little more open soundstage, but there bass control can not compete with the luxman.

Product model year:   2009