LINN Classik
MSRP  1950.00
Description: 75W x 2 into 4 ohms

Submitted by Steve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have owned Linn Classiks since their creation. I have loved each and every one of them, yet through the three different iterations I have experienced, they all had different streangths and weaknesses. My first Linn Classik Music integrated was a delightful bedroom system, yet somewhat thinner sounding than the newer K models. I would equate the difference as to comparing an LK100 to a LK85. The earlier model of Classik would have a similar sound to the LK100, and the newer K model a similar sound to the LK85. I do prefer the classics overall three dimensionality using its internal amp to using it with an LK100 or LK85, but the Classik soon runs out of steam that the other amps seem to have. The newer K series sounds especially open and three dimensional, even sweet, BUT it runs out of steam even more quickly than the original model. I am running four Energy bookshelf speakers off the Classik and the strain becomes too much about 3/4 volume and clips horribly. Below the clipping level I dearly love the Linn Classik K model. My original Linn integrated Classik does not clip as easily, but has a less three dimensional sound overall. It has that "older" Linn sound if you know what I mean. Of the three Classiks I have owned all have had terrible FM sections as far as long distance reception. In the city they may be fine, but where I live their FM reception is very poor and I am constantly struggling to rig up different antennas to try and get better reception. The sound of the FM is very good overall when the station is within range, but not great. I did experience great success with my Classiks as preamps for a pair of 140 watt tube amps. The remote is good, but not great. The buttons are often hard to find in the dark and it is merely ok once you get used to it. Everytime I sell my new stereo componants I dig out my old Linn Classik as it is hard to part with. I am always amazed at it organic sound and three dimensional openness not experienced through a series of multiple amplifiers, yet like I said before the K models clip rather easily, but are very musical. When attaching speakers you must play around with the polarity!!!!!! The Classik can sound very poor when not hooked up properly, and I have found that you need to experiment with different polarities to get the great sound I am talking about. Let me just finnish by saying that I have owned a lot of equipment over the last 30 years, from Conrad Johnson, to Krell, to Mark Levinson, and I always come back to the Linn equipment - as long as it is hooked up properly and the speakers are placed properly. Even the lowly Classik can provide excellent sound at medium to higher volumes provided you can keep it from clipping. I will probably die owning a Classik, even if it is not in my main system at that time. You just have to set a Linn up right to get the best sound. Once set up right, Linn's are hard to beat.

Submitted by JimmyBlues a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
The Linn Classik music system is the most clever piece of audio gear I have ever seen -- so much so that I have dubbed it the Swiss Army Knife of hi-end audio.

In essence, it does everything well, and with a preamplifier out stage, also functions credibly as a hi-end tuner/CD/ preamplifier. With 50 watts per channel on tap into 8 ohm speakers, it also mates up quite well to the Linn Kan V's which I purchased with my Classik.

This is a quality piece of gear which created an entirely new category in hi-end audio -- the CD/Receiver. Other companies such as NAD have attempted to cash in on this concept with much cheaper and lesser offerings like the L40 CD/Receiver and C 715 CD Receiver, which replaced the aging L40. However, the Classic is in a different league from the other two, offering far superior sonics as well as build quality; not mention double the amplifier power.

It is truly of the set and forget school of audio, which after eight years and several iterations, continues to be a popular seller for Linn Audio.

I use the Classik during the summer months, occasionally substituting it for my NAD 3130 integrated and 402 tuner, while saving my tube gear for the cooler months of the year.

After 5 years running, the Classik continues to impress me with its clever design and excellent sonics.

Submitted by keith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Very unhappy.

The disc player does not recognize about one in ten CD's. Remote is fiddly to use. The headphone jack seems pretty weak. Using AKG 501 headphones, I have to really turn up the volume to get much sound at all (They works fine with a $40 CD walkman). Occaisonally some vocal tracks play as if the man is singing from down the hall (again, playing the CD elsewhere does not yield up this problem).

Submitted by William a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
I own the classik-T. Have owned a bunch of mid-fi equipment (Creek, NAD, AMC, Arcam) and this is the most satisfying single piece of equipment I have owned. Used in an all Linn system. Pleasure to use (one remote!!), perfect reliability. Good value -- particularly if you can find a used one that has been well taken care of. When looking to replace Arcam 7, demo'd the usual suspects (NAD 350, Creek 4330R, Rega Brio, etc...) at home with the Linn, but could not find another combination of Integrated amp, CD player, Tuner and Interconnects (people forget to add the cost of a tuner and interconnects) from one brand operating on a single remote from that sounded as good for less money.

Sound -- Smooth treble, nice weight and drive in the bass, detailed and open midrange w/o being etched or fatiguing, doesn't sound overly airy or mid hall like most US high end products. Very "integrated" sound.

Summary - Touch of the high end for a modest price. Electronics equivalent to an entry level 3-series BMW.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by dlbritton42 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
A very over-rated piece of audio equipment; a 10 year old Meridian 206 cd player through any decent electronics smokes this. Very thin sounding overall; lacks weight. The tone controls really need to be used for the majority of cd's to sound even marginally acceptable. I think the original Classik sounded better. If you really require just one box, this is better than the mass market alternatives, but at many times the price.