Krell KAV-300iL Integrated Amplifiers

4.42/5 (24 Reviews)

150 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms and 300 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms

Submitted by ren9328 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable!!! I have tried many different separates and integrated amplifiers from many of the top rated brands. Creek, Naim, Consonance, YBA, Bryston, Etc., etc.

my current system consists of a Cambridge Audio Azur 840c CD Player, and Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE monitors. Alll that I can say when I first heard this combination is WOW! I am not a Krell guy, or an anything guy. I have just been looking for that special amplifier. I have found that magical amplifier that I have been looking for. I do not get the Krell detractors, if you like tubes you will not like Krell. If you like the truth presented smoothly, powerfully, dynamically, without fatigue and grain, you will absolutely love this astounding piece of equipment.

I am basing this review on my massive music collection, which consists of nearly 2,000 CDs and 800+ records. I listen to everything from Beethoven ,Diana Krall, Fleetwood Mack, The Beatles, to Metallica This is no one trick pony. It has incredible soundstaging abilities in both breadth and depth. I feel that this is in that 90th percentile. To gain better performance you are going to pay dearly, very dearly.

At the prices that these can be had for now to not buy one borders on insanity. Leave those new integrateds on the shelf where they belong. BUY ONE OF THESE ASAP, anfd enjoy your music anew all over again. Kudos to Krell For producing such a fantastic piece of audio engineering!

BTW: The power output is 200wpc 8ohm, 400wpc 4ohms. This website has the power output mistated. Also realize that the 300iL is the basic twin to the 400 xi except for the selector knob instead of pushbuttons. A definite step above the original KAV 300i. You will probably never need but a fraction of its imense power.

Submitted by Amir a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
All i should to say :
I love it.
Krell is a bragin in all respects. bass slam, open and natural mid with smooth high. sounds superb for how love solidstate design. for tube lovers it maybe alittle cold but not forward.
If you want listen to it you should use highend speakers and source. I recommend listen SACD with it because you can not recieve all of it's performance by 16 bit audio CD.
If you be a musician you will enjoy for it's exceptional timing and if you love pop/rock music you can turn up volume without breaking sweet and if you love vocal it's mid is pure krell.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer, Yarama

Submitted by Alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
If you bypass all the labels that you have heard about Krell being harsh and cold and just listen to the amp you will see what a fine product the company has produced. I have bypassed the pre-amp section and I am using a Audio Research LS15. This has proved to be a great combination! Nice sweet tube sound with lots of power and the famous Krell bass slam. The detail on these little units is amazing. Great soundstage and 3D detail. The only thiing that I would enjoy better is the Krell KSA 250.
I do have one gripe. The fringing remote does not work! Fortunately it is not an issue because of the pre-amp that I use. It goes directly through the theater bypass, which is also a great feature. I used to have a Linar Audio 250 amp (new Victor Sima). The Krell produced a more bigger soundstage and provided much more detail. So this one is a keeper until I can get my hands on the KSA250 or the 300FBP.

Submitted by Jone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a very detail amp, in term of musical presentation. It faithfully reproduce whatever is recorded on the CD.
Details, positioning of the instrument, you will be amazed by the details you hear.
Many people do not like the sound, some of my friend judged it as cold and non musical.
But isn't this what Hi-Fi supposed to be, to faithfully reproduce whatever is recorded?
This is a very good amp (if not great), but need good matching and good recorded source...
Highly recommended, but audit before you buy to see if it suit your taste...

Submitted by Art Burt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an absolutely amazing Integrated amp. Before it I had a Copland CSA 14 that was modified to the tune of $1500 and I had it for about 3 years. I really didn't think I would ever get rid of it because It sounded so incredibly good. But I bought a new pair of speakers that were harder to drive(Focus Audio FS78) and I knew the speakers were very good but I needed more power to get the most of them. I brought the Krell 300iL home and fell in love with music all over again.
I don't know how other reviewers can say that this is a bright sounding unit. It certainly is NOT bright and i like my music rather loud. Maybe their sources are weak. I have a Meridian 508-24 and with the Harmonic Tech balanced interconnects and Focus Audio speakers this Krell 300iL is all anyone would want providing your source and speakers and cables are all up to the quality of the Krell.

Purchased At:   Audio Two