Krell KAV-300i Integrated Amplifiers

4.21/5 (137 Reviews) MSRP : $2495.00

Integrated Amplifer - 150W at 8 ohms, 300W at 4 ohms - Class AB

Submitted by Mitar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
Exellent amp. Deep soundstage, stronb bass,natural mids and lots of detail. Partnered with KAV 300 CD and Spendor A6 speakers. Kimber Select IC and Kimber Mnocle XL speker cables.
Compared with ECI3, Moon i3, I5, Creek Destiny, Exposure 3010s2, NAD Masters, Naim Supernait, Snsui AU919, 917....
Strong built quality, looks like tank, real allrounder.

Submitted by uncletarget a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
In 2005, after years of tube-amplification, modifications, tube-roling and intensive psychotherapie (Audiopaths beware !) I "settled" for the Krell. It took some time before we got along. It wanted power conditioning, a real power cable, huge spikes and it expected the same for its partnering equipment. (yes, again psychosis lurked just behind the corner) I use a Meridian G07 cdp and Dynaudio Contour 1.3's in a medium sized room. The Dyns would do ok with tube-amps, they sounded "nice". At first the Krell turned them into a bright, highly polished window, there was almost to much attention to detail. After all its demands where met, the glass was removed from the window and music flowed into the room, turn up the volume and the music just "grows bigger". .With good material the Dyns just disapeare, there is no more "sound". I like it, I'm off my medication.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by ducchau a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
The only thing that I could say is WOW. I paired this amp with an old DVD player and the Proac SuperTower and everything came alive. I thought that I was going to have to upgrade the source and the speaker when I brounght this amp home. However, there was no need. I never new of dynamic, image, and tight bass before until I put in this amp. Of course, this isn't the most hi-end or most expensive amp out there. However, this is as close as to hi-end separates as you can get. And you also get the equivalent of preamp/amplifier with this KAV-300i. And no headache of trying to pair the right preamp with the right amp.

Purchased At:   Augiogon

Submitted by conker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
This really is an odd fellow.
No other audio components I ever used/tried was that picky at partnering.

I had some cash to spill on new audio equipment, therefore I wanted to upgrade the amp at first.
To me this is the heart of a system so it better be good.
Got a good deal on a used Krell 300i for 1200 bucks in good condition, which I could lend for a few weeks to decide.

Any amp I tried before I got the Krell performed well with my old KEF's and Marantz CD 6000KI, well at least it didn't sound worse than my old and faithfull Marantz PM7000.

The Krell sounded aggressive and I mean really AGRESSIVE, never did I hear such cold, harsh and abrasive sounds coming from my KEFs

So this must have been a matching issue I thought.
I tried a better source: Naim 5, Arcam cd 82, Rotel RCD 1072 etc.
Nothing changed or bettered

Having spent a few weeks, getting on the nerves of the salesmen I finally gave up.

I ended up with a Accuphase E212 amp.
My Marantz cd player is still running, no need to upgrade it.
(and after a few months I decided to replace my KEF's by some lovely B&W CM 6's, though there wasn't any need, but hey I got the money to spend!)

Any high-end component that needs months of searching and investigating for the proper musical companions sucks in my book.
Probably the Krell fairs better with some laid back British speakers and a cd player with less detail and definition than usual, which is not exactly the purpose of a Krell amp, slowing it down and decreasing the high resolution...what is supposed to be the Krell's main strength: pace and insight.

To me a high-end component must deliver all the detail, pace and insight but with grace and at ease.

My Marantz cd 6000 OSE KI isn't particularly bright or aggressive, the Accuphase E 212 doesn't think so, nor do the other amps by Primare, Exposure, Rega and Creek I tried, so I wonder if there's a cd player out there the Krell would like.

Submitted by Dolcemente a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
Si tratta di un ottimo amplificatore integrato, considerato a torto solo un amplificatore muscolare. Certamente in gamma alta ha dei rivali in possesso di grana finissima e più morbida, ma a costi certo superiori.
La potenza dello stadio finale permette di pilotare ogni tipo di diffusore anche i più ostici, evidenziando un basso profondo e ben modulato,esuberante ma preciso nel controllo dell'escursione della membrana del woofer.
Nel mio impianto è collegato a monte con un lettore universale Marantz DV8400 ed a valle con degli ottimi B&W 803s con cavi di segnale e di potenza NORDOST e posso affermare che il risultato finale è senza ombra di dubbio godibilissimo sia come dinamica, come pulizia e dettaglio ottenendo un sound ideale per l'ascolto di musica Jazz e classica.Strepitoso il risultato con il pop-rock.
Veramente ottimo.