Jolida SJ-801A Integrated Amplifiers

4.55/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1400.00

High gain line stage amplifier with passive Alps volume pot and passive input selector

Submitted by Genji a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had my JoLida 801A for 2-3 months now and I'm just thrilled by it. It's vastly superior to the solid state amp/preamp separates (Sonographe SC-1 by conrad-johnson and Adcom GFA 555)I used before, which cost nearly the same new as the JoLida does new.

I cannot compare this amp to other tube electronics. But I'm enormously impressed with the presence, richness, and humanity of the music that comes through it. I still can't believe I'm blessed with such an enjoyable music playback system. I could go on and on, but I'll just say that right now my upgrade craving has completely disappeared!

I've started some modest tube rolling. So far I like the Svetlana KT88s as output tubes; for the pre-amp tube there I two I like best and haven't chosen between yet (all four I've heard sound very good): the NOS JAN-Philips 12AX7WA may be my favorite but I also really like the Tungsram ECC83 I just started listening to today. I still have one 5751 to try out. I haven't yet switched the 6SN7 tubes, but the Sylvanias that came with the amp sound good.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by simon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for good,musicaly involving,powerfull amp,Jolida801 is the ticket.I compared this amp with much more expensive amps and it stands its ground.OUTSTANDING VALUE.

Purchased At:   audio/waves

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is more of an addendum then a review. I have since replaced my 6SN7 tubes in the 801. The biggest thing I noticed was a decrease in distortion a higher levels. That is a major Plus for the amp.

On the down side I am really pissed at Jolida's Customer Service Dept. I called them regarding replacement parts. NONE, NADA, they don't have nor do they sell them. I also wanted to get schematics for all of my Jolida amps, $10 a pop for a dinky 8.5 x 11. Kiss my ass. I've got 3 of their amps and I can't get a schematic?

Let me tell you a story of customer service. Hickok (makers of the finest tube testers years ago) and Dynaco (makers of the famed ST-70) had great customer service. You got REAL manuals (not photocopies of the same thing with the model changed) with schematics. In the back of those manuals was a parts list with every part, so you could order replacements. This does not exist anymore in America. We are board swappers. My problem is that the very nice gold covers on the transformers have hazed. I was willing to pay for replacements, but no. Now I have an amp that looks rather cheap. I hate looking at it because of that. Their CS rep told me to just remove the entire finish (leaving it bare aluminum), now to those who have seen this amp, how do you suppose that would look? Do you suppose I was talking to a ding-dong?

Lets get some better CS in this country....PLEASE!!!! I will not leave negative stars about this because it has nothing to the product itself. Future buyers beware. See Jolida should have sold me the covers and gave me some schematics. The Internet is powerful.

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I am currently using 3 Jolidas in a surround sound setting. I have a 801 running the front, a 102 for the center, and a 502A running the rear. When I got the 801 I was amazed, it is really a awesome looking amp. I set it up and biased it and played it for awhile to compare the sound to my other Jolida IA's. It does the a great sound, but it is not better than the 502. Those concidering an 801, I would get the 502 because the output is close to the same and the sound is more mellow. If you buy a 801 know that you spent the extra on the looks. I was hoping that the 6SN7's would give a different tone but it seems to bring out the brightness. I am still using the China 6SN7's so I will not get critical about it until I can get them replaced. To Jolida owners I will say that if you get nice input tubes (12AX7 12AT7) that will make the tone come out in these amps. I would not invest in NOS outputs because the Svetlana's already sound good, and NOS 6550 tubes are too pricey for the payback in tone. I have found that Sylvania's and RCA's work pretty good and can be obtained for a resonable price. Over all, out of all my Jolida's I would say the 102 is the sweetest sounding amp of them all. I think it's because of the EL84's. The 6550 is a ridged tube design with low distortion. They were designed for high power applications but IMO not as sweet as a EL34 or EL84. The only problem with the 102 is the power rating, it's too weak for Manepans but so is the 801 (if you like it REAL loud). I am giving the 801 5 stars in the value department because the value of all thier amps is unbeatable, and and 4 stars because the sound is very nice but was not "blown away" like 5 stars says. Still very, very good amps. TUBES RULE.....THEY ALWAYS HAVE.

Purchased At:   Uptown Audio (used)

Submitted by JEFF MCCLELLAND a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
To start off, this is the first tube amp I have ever owned.
However, after owning the SJ-801A for one year I must say it would take a lot to turn back and go to SS because I am still very pleased with its performance.

Now after a year I have found that using NOS or fresh pulls work wonders on the tube layout of the SJ-801A. With the tube set up as such: 4x6550, 2x6SN7, and 1x12AX7 this really gives the owner a lot to choose from. Furthermore, the two 6SN7 give a big performance and there are still a lot out there at affordable prices. As for the 6550 I got lucky with a GOOD used set of Tung-Sol (RCA labeled) and this set the stage for a great combination. I thought I was "There" with the amp not thinking much to improve on except compactors and such.

Well the metamorphous continued. Upon taking my amp in to be properly biased the technician suggested the Sylvan 8417 tube instead of the 6550 and that I should give it a shot. The changes would be minimal and reversible if I didn't like it. So I did. The sound stage was stunning and the detail was incredible. The highs are more open and the lows are very controlled. As for the midrange it is everything I could want. Yes, the 8417 can be expensive but no more than new quad set of KT-88 and sometimes much less. As for KT-88 I have not tried them but I'm sure sound really good.

So what does all this rambling mean well it says the SJ-801A is an excellent amp. It offers an excellent platform to improve on which can rival many of the "Big Guys". BTW, the transformers are really really good. Not so much to my experiences, being new but valid none the less, but according to my friend whose been in the tube business many years says that the transformers are what makes the SJ-801A so sweet. He ought to know his HK Citation II is beautiful and sounds just the same. The transformers on the HK Cit II are legendary.

System:
*Jolida SJ-801A-integrated amp (Sylvania 4X8417, 2X6sn7 Sylvania VT-231, 1X5751 Sylvania Gold Brand triple spaced.
*Alpha Core Micro Purl, AG silver -Interconnects
*Alpha Core MI-2 Veracity, OFC-Speaker cables, single run.
*Jolida SJ-603 with (5751 "Command" instead of 12ax7's)-CD Player, soon to upgrade.
*Coincident Speaker Technology 'Conquest'-Speakers @ 92% efficient.
*Topaz 'Super Isolator'- Isolation transformer