Jolida SJ-502A Integrated Amplifiers

4.89/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by benhatcher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I chose the Jolida 502a last year after my 10-year-old solid state amp bit the dust. Having listened to this amp for a year, I won't be going back to solid state. No matter if it's Stravinsky, Vivaldi, The Magnetic Fields, or Dire Straits, the sound is WONDERFUL. By now, we all seem to know that, so here's what I've done:
Everyone says dump the cheap valves. They are right. After some rolling, I've wound-up with Sovtek 6550's, Mullard 12au7's and Telefunken 12ax7's. The first difference I noticed after adding the Mullards to these power tubes was a fuller, broader, much less compressed sound through my 89db Viva's. As my fiancee noted, it didn't sound like it was playing in a bathroom anymore (I didn't agree with her before...) When I added the Tele's, I instantly noticed much nicer imaging from the front of the room. The separation of vocals from guitar from Where the Streets have no Name extended far wider than they ever did with the old solid state. Living in a condo, I don't often push the bottom end (this amp is MUCH sweeter at low listening levels than solid state listeners are accustomed to) but when I crank the subwoofer, bass percussion knocks plaster off the walls, with help from good Telarc classical recordings. I have been so impressed that well-recorded music can sound so good. For a balance of tonal clarity, uncolored sound, and wonderful imaging-- along with strong, precise bass-- especially for this price, the Jolida matched with good tubes is sweet music.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by samplermike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first tube amp and it is definitely a winner. Let me first say that if you are a true audiophile, you may not like this amp. It is not overly detailed or analytical like most solid state amps and it lacks true "slam". It is not made with premium parts and is not much to look at, unless you turn the lights off. However, if you find yourself becoming fatigued from your solid state amp, then this amp is for you. I have never been so addicted to music as I am right now. I run my Music Hall MMF-7 and Creek phono pre-amp through this amp and it really sounds amazing. The background is deadly silent and music just erupts from my speakers with texture and detail. The amp drives my Dynaudio Audience 72's and does not need to pass the 12 o'clock mark on the dial. I sit in a 6 foot triangle with my speakers, so I am listening in the nearfield. Vinyl is also much more involving and consistent than cd will ever be. If you are looking for analog-like sound from a cd player, then I recommend the new Jolida JD100 tube player.

People seem to complain about the stock tubes in this amp. Let me tell you what I have found in this regard. I immediately changed the stock tubes to Svetlana KT88s and Phillips 12AX7s and Phillips 12AT7s. This setup gave the amp a faster, tighter sound, and I only recommend it if you keep the amp stock and listen to audiophile recordings. It was too detailed for my classic rock tastes and only worked with jazz or classical. However, I had Jolida modify my amp for about $400 with premium parts. The capacitors were upgraded to Hovland MusiCaps, diodes were now fast-recovery, resistors were now wire-wound, volume pot was changed to Alps Blue Velvet, and internal wiring to Cardas 22 gauge. I also upgraded the control knobs and speaker posts. The sound was now overly analytical and forward with the upgraded tubes - good enough for an audiophile, but not "right" for me. However, when I went back to the stock tubes, I was shocked at how "thick and creamy" the sound became. It was like I added a subwoofer. Voices sound like they are in the room. The only other 12AX7 I would recommend with this amp besides the Chinese tubes, would be the Phillips. I really like a warm and lush sound because I listen to mostly classic rock and roll. Svetlanas, Sovteks, and EIs all sounded too bright for my taste.

If you are not addicted to your solid state amp, then I would recommend trying this tube amp. It is not for everyone and it needs to be mated to other musical equipment to sound just right. However, it really can make the equipment just disappear and you can get back down to the music. Isn't that what it's all about? Please email me with any questions...

My "musical" budget system:

SALAMANDER EQUIPMENT RACK & SPIKES-$199

Purchased At:   Response Audio

Submitted by charles shamash a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am somebody who takes my audio equipment seriously. The Jolida is probably the best amp I have ever had. It is built well, the tubes are very cool to look at when lit up, and the sound is silky smooth and full.

It really looks like a quality piece and yet it is not flashy or gaudy but rather more classic looking. I am very happy I bought it.

I bought from Bill at Response Audio- I probably paid a little more then I had to. Usually I traipse around the internet looking for the best deal. In this case I am glad I didn't for at least 5 good reasons-
1) Bill replaced the stock tubes for free to a better sounding tube
2) He upgraded my amp from the 302 to a returned 502 for free.
3)He gave me a lot of advice which I wouldnt have got from an internet chop shop.
4) He replied to emails after about 5 mins at 10pm at night
5) I feel comfortable that he stand by his product.

I am still a miser but in this case I am glad I didn't shop around.

Purchased At:   Response Audio

Submitted by ducati0000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This extremely musical intergrated tube amp is a amazing value,if value=quality is your sorte this unit is a must hear.Sonic wise the signature is more lay back and somewhat soft,pace is more similar to the older Quads II amps and Dynacos.depth is very good for an intergrated amp and edges are a little narrow but firm.Where it really shines is the midrange "flesh out" qualities of good recordings,voices are inspiring,strings comes alive,brass instruments non agressive,and non metallic feel is very impressive.There is a lack of of deep inner detailed on some large essembled recordings but this amp really shines with small assembles especially jazz and small quartet players.The connectors are somewhat cheap and the stock chinese 12AX7A driver tubes must be changed.Somewhat bright on most recordings.I experimented with the british 12AX7A and that seems to clear out that problem.Overall if you need a tube amp on a tight budget this unit is it.HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Robert a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I recently picked up this amp for the insanely low price of $280. No costmetic defects of any important sort (one scratch on the side and a little bit of filth under the transformers, easily taken care of with car wax and cotton swabs). Insane price, I know -- but this little Jolida is worth it at five times the price!

I had recently listened to some Conrad-Johnson equipment at a different local shop. I had always knew that tubes, despite their inherent distortion, sound much better than solid state equipment. I had always wanted to try tubes but the prices were always so high! Then, one evening while goofing off at a local hi-fi haunt, I saw this little tube amp in the used area. I took it home for a demo.

To make a boring story more lively, I hooked it up and was impressed. I ended up replacing the Chinese 12AT7 and 12AX7 tubes (these are the stock tubes that come from the factory) with JAN-Philips 12AT7 and Ei ECC83's in replace of the 12AX7 (these are the same parts, just different names for different countries). The Ei ECC83 tube is frequently referred to as the best thing since the Telefunken 12AX7 (and it's much, much cheaper than finding a 40 year old Telefunken). I kept the Svetlana 6550 power tubes since they are, apparently, the 6550 to have because of their neutrality (they don't color the sound and are very natural sounding).

With the new tubes, this little Jolida absolutely astounded me. Clarity, detail is all present without any harshness or brightness. Bass is tight, deep, and has impact. In fact, I find myself listening with my subwoofer turned OFF with this amp. Listening to 24/96 recordings is simply breathtaking. The texture of every guitar string, the depth of the percussion, all there in smooth, beautiful, rich cleanliness. Beautifully transparent! This amp, in 1996 if I recall, was a Stereophile recommeded component.

I called JoLida to get a schematic for the amp, just for my reference. No problem! I even got to talk to one of the people that designs their amps.

I only wish that this little amp had a remote control. Simply out of convenience. Clever electronics gurus will find a way to add their own with relative ease.

This amp is worth every penny JoLida charged! It has been replaced with the 502B which is identical in every way internally but with gold trim. Myself, I prefer this jet black beauty with the shiny metallic paint and no gold trim. It's a gorgeous thing to listen to and to look at.

Purchased At:   Local hi-fi