Jolida JD-302B Integrated Amplifiers

4.97/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $925.00

50 Watt Integrated Amplifier

Submitted by Steve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2014

Bottom Line:
Just got this amp (Joilda JD-302CRC black) on Christmas Eve......my first foray into the tube world. I started my sales career in the audio business......left it in 1988 for the I/T business which is where I have been ever since.

Never lost my love of audio (and video, too). I upgraded the amp becuase my NAD 7000 was getting a little long in the tooth, plus a recent divorce left me wanting some new gear. So I got the Jolida, an NAD C546BEE, Morrow Audio speaker cables and interconnects (Mike Morrow is a great guy to do business with).

My speakers are my old faithfull Snell Type E/IV, and I needed to replace the surrounds, but the good folks at Snell basically glued the damn drivers into the cablinet with some sort of mastic, and in the process of getting the speakers out, I ruined the cones. Fortunately, I found replacements for all of the drivers on Ebay, and then I purchsed some replacements from Madisound....not the originals but the closest driver I could find.

I hooked it all up (with Snell replacement drviers...Vifa M23-WN) and have been knocked out.....and the Morrow cables are not fully broken in yet.

The Jolida sounds wonderfull.....siky, smooth, great soundstage and imaging. The Snells sound wonderful with this gear. I know that there are plenty of good speakers on the market, but I have been hooked on Snells since I sold them in the '80s. The NAD sounds wonderfull too......and I am looking forward to hearing an improvement as all of this gear breaks in.

Submitted by Joe Fuller a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased this amp about a year and a half ago. I am sitting here doing my bills and had to stop to write a review of this amp. I have the 302 BRC - remote control option. I have owned some pretty decent equipment PSE Studio IV, B@K ST 140 and 202, Audible Ilusions 2D. This amp sounds amazing. I'm listening to Yes first album and it sounds great. The problem is once I turn on the system I can't get anything done. I have to sit and listen. A major player in addition to the amp is my speakers and cables. I have a pair of Vandersteen 1c speakers and Kimber 12TC and hero. This is my exit system, I'll own it for the rest of my life. I am or was a chaser. Always buying and selling reading books more books buying selling more, not anymore this system got me and doesn't cost anywhere near what I thought I would have to spend. The rest of the system NAD cd player Pro-ject AT 440 ML cartridge, AT phone pre-amp. If you want to jump off this system will do it.

Submitted by Yogisi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp used about a year ago. It was my first experience with tubes. I chose the Jolida based on reviews here and elsewhere and on the apparent value it represented. I have never regretted the choice.

I'm using Von Schwiekert VR-2 speakers. Not the most efficient out there but the Jolida drives them very well.The amp also responds well to tube rolling and with the EL34, 12AX7, 12AT7 compliment, tube rolling does not require a second mortgage.

It is a very musical, powerful and satisfying amp to listen to. Some have commented that the bass is lacking. I don't find that to be the case. With my speakers, (which can go down to 25Hz), and in my room, the bass is more than sufficient. On the Dave Matthews CD, "Some Devil", track 6, "Grey Blue Eyes", there is a bass note that comes across so low, strong and clean that it seems to liquify the floor. I've heard tighter bass but I've never felt that I'm missing much with this amp.

The value for this product is absolutely off the charts. Well built. Quality parts. Great performance. And from what I've read it responds VERY well to upgrades/modifications. I truly believe that I will not need another amplifier during my lifetime. Buy with confidence and enjoy!

Submitted by stratman672001 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is actually the 302A. The only real differences are cometics and a capacitor change. I was running an Adcom system but I could no longer stand the steely, fatiguing sound, so I went on Audigon and found this beauty for $450. Now this is a hefty unit. Very good weight to it. The tubes in it were the stock Chinese which were rolled out. The 12AX7s and the 12AT7s were replaced by NOS Mullards, while the power section recieved a set of JJ E34Ls. While it now sounded fantastic, the unit kept popping fuses every month. I later found out that the JJs had a piece of fillament floating around in one of the tubes. I replaced those with EH 6CA7s (big bottle variant of the EL34). The sound was a touch more open but within 9 months one of them red plated. The unit is now using the new Tung Sol EL34Bs. These are the best tubes I've used so far and the sound is absolutely gorgeous. I have this coupled with a set of Paradigm Atoms and it sounds very full. As has been mentioned, the EL34 is not the bassiest of tubes but the Atoms gently roll off at 55hz so they are actually well matched. The highs are non fatiguing and the mids are full and warm. Where I felt like I had to get away from the Adcoms, the JoLida pulls you into the music. I listen to a wide variety of music and it plays them all with equal aplomb. I have Faces "A Nod is as Good as a Wink..." playing right now and Rod's voice is at its soulful best. Listening to Elvis the first thing I notice is the roundness of his voice. Same with Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. Try to find a vinyl copy of "Dream With Dean... The Intimate Dean Martin" and you'll hear what I mean. It's like he's in the room. If you decide to get one of these, don't be afraid to tube roll (NOS preamp tubes are the only way to fly. NOS power tubes are way too expensive), it's alot of fun too.

Submitted by MathewM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
The 302b is probably Jolida's most popular tube amp and for good reason. At 50 watts of sweet El34 juice it's by far the best dollar for power in the tube amp market. I've listened to other EL34 tube amps on my speakers (VMPS 626R) and the Jolida is the second best. It's a fairly neutral amp by nature but with a tube roll you can go either warm (SED) or cool (Electro Harmonix). So part of the beauty of the 302 besides it's value is that it can match a large variety of speakers. El34's are not known for their bass and the 302 is lacking here. I do find that good bass is also recording dependent. Older CD's can sound small and dynamically lacking compared to most stuff mastered in the past ten years. The nice thing about the Jolida when coupled by a good transport (or better yet the lack of a transport such as a Squeezebox which streams the music via wi-fi from your home computer) is that just about everything is listenable. Tubes tend to distort at loud volumes but the difference is that it's good distortion--even with the raunchiest of rock recordings I experience very little listener fatigue.

Most people buying the Jolida 302b will be first time tube amp buyers. With that said it's an excellent introduction especially if you buy used. Like I said earlier, it's the 2nd best tube amp I've heard on my speakers. The best being a $2K pair of VTL monoblocks. Same EL34 tube component but with 125 watts--big difference in macro dynamics and bass. Also VTL tends to have a warmer tone and there's more 'inner' detail. The better more expensive tube amps like the VTL give you a more enriching sonic experience overall.

Tubes are addictive once you start listening to music through them. I know the Jolida has it's difficiencies but I'm always drawn back to it. It's musical (yes that means you tap your toes and play air guitar) and has enough of that beguiling tube character that lulls you to listen to hours of music every night.

Purchased At:   Audiogon