Jeff Rowland Design Group Concentra Integrated Amplifiers

4.56/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $5600.00

Integrated Amp

Submitted by Maprik a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing integrated amplifier. PURITY is how I would describe it's sound and an uncanny balance between tube and solid state sound (but it's 100% solid state)! If you want to get off the tube vs. solid state merry go round, or if you just want to get an integrated that is truly high end then find one of these used. I have tried so many combinations of preamps, amps, integrateds, and with the Concentra I know that I won't ever need to make a change for as long as it keeps working!

Submitted by SL Wang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Spent six months to search and finally got this used concentra I. Philips+silverlink+concentra+power source MK II+Jmlab Mini Utopia
Warmth, transparent and details.

Purchased At:   Canada through audio

Submitted by Sengkyu Han a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased this a couple of months ago and I've listened to it's sound. After all I came to fall into not a sound but a real music! I've never heard a sound as good as ever made by integrated amps.
The strongest merit of Concentra is the smoothness. but there's no loss of resolution & power with wide frequency range. And The Jeff's silver front penal and in-cutted side plates show and an art of cutting skills. That's greart!

Equipment
Speaker : Dynaudio Craft
Source : FMJ23 & marantz cd17d
cable : Kimber KCAG(source), belden w/ WBT

Submitted by Joe English a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Best Integrated on the market period. Would have to spend 7000.00 and more to beat this sound. This unit just sounds right. This will be the last unit u buy until u are ready to spend more than 7000.00 and more.

Submitted by Steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wanted to "downgrade" my McIntosh separates mainly for size; I move a lot and did not want them to get damaged. Wanted to replace them with something smaller and possibly better built (succeeded here). Initially I set my eyes on the Sim Audio Moon I-5 but found the Rowland used for a good price at a reputable dealer, so I bought it (interestingly enough, I called the manufacturer asking them to tell me who owned it, using the serial number (it's very low, in the 100's). They said they had originally sent it to a reviewer for Stereophile who never reviewed it. They said they never saw it again...I actually contacted Stereophile and asked them to put me in touch with the reviewer (who resides in Hawaii), which they did. All he would say is that "it's a sweet piece of gear"....sounds like these reviewers have something funny going on...) Anyway....
I loved my Mac gear (C-15 & MC-300) but I must say this unit is superior in sound reproduction overall. Its sound is very neutral (read as, unfatiguing, pleasant at high frequencies and high volumes, and CLEAN/grain free ALWAYS). It is more revealing, has better imaging and soundstaging, and overall has a more refined presentation. I have heard the Levinson 383 with the same speakers, and believe the Rowland to be superior in terms of musicality, depth of presentation, and "bloom." While beautiful in many ways, the 383 seemed slightly more analytical. In addition to the Rowland I use Aerial model 6's and an SCD-777ES SACD player. The amp is wonderful at loud and soft volume levels, and never loses its temper (refined!).
I honestly feel like this is the 1st piece of gear I have ever owned that I could not best; if in the future I wanted to exchange it I would only do so for more power (don't need it now) or for a different sound altogether based on new preferences, or a system matching component that I felt I had to have (you know the disease). I have great respect for my speakers and CD player, but feel that now they are the weaker links in the chain. This is definitely a two-in-one box product that easily bests many separates. Should you find one used and want an integrated, buy it. For one thing, it will last forever the way it is built. I have not been happier overall with an audio purchase than this one.
By the way, I talked with the manufacturer about cables (I use Transparent) - - they would not endorse Cardas over the phone and stated the below mention is untrue. If anyone thinks they have found a great match please let me know!

TARA LABS: