Holfi Integra 8 Integrated Amplifiers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Dag Harald Bergtun a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought the Holfi Integra after listening to several other amplifiers, both cheaper and more expensive than the Integra 8, including the "little brother", the Audis, but none of them matched the pure and natural sound of the Integra 8. It was a perfect start to a "enthusiast" system at a price of about 10000 NOK. It has lots of power, no loss of breath even though it has only 2x70 watts in 8 Ohm (2x130 in 4 Ohm). My speakers, Eltek's Dynabel Euforia (Norwegian Enthuiast Company), linked with Goertz MI2 cables, has never any lack of power with this amplifier, and it seems to get a perfect partner.
The Holfi guys in Denmark has done things their way, and very well so! The amplifiers are buildt with simplicity and with the "keep it simple and short" attitude. When opening the cabinet, (cherry wood in front!), it reveals craftmanship and sturdy copper rails, no flimsy wires here!
If You are looking for dynamic, powerful and natural sound, with lots of power (more than it seems), You could do worse than have a listen to these. That is, if You don't need any balance, tone controls and so on. This is just pure sound for the money!
For those of You who have heard the Electrocompaniet amplifiers (ECI1, ECI2), the sound isn't so very different I think.
Now, I'm just wondering what would happen if I tried Holfi's Pre8 together with 2 x Power8 to get biamp driving on the speakers! I sure would like to try!

Submitted by Anders Jensen a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 1998

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing product from Denmark. A "small" ingegrated amp that is sure to blow you away. Holfi is a rather small company and their main and only office is in Hillerød only about 15 km away from where I'm sitting right now. What is unbelivable is how competetive this product really is, personally I have never heard anything within it's pricerange that sounded better!!
Design:
Normally I would not include this in a review, but with this product it is impossible not to! It has WOODEN casing and you can get it in oak and cherry, this looks really nice with real wood speakers.. Yum Yum! I myself have cherrywood speakers and toogether with the Holfi it looks extremly beautiful!
The amp is simplicity itself, don't think that you will find a remote or for that matter bass treble and balance controls becaurse Holfi is pure MUSIC and nothing else! You can only do 2 things with this amp choose source and volume, this is done with 2 wooden dials on the front of the wooden casing!

Sound:
This is the best thing about the amp! It has a very unic warm sound, not like anything you have ever heard before I promise you that! the amp has 2 X 70 W's in 8 ohm but don't let this fool you. I compared it to my old Denon with 2 x 115 W's and it sounded like the Holfi had 2 X 200 w's comparing it to the Denon! It is very dynamic and forward in sound much like live music is, so if you like that live sound Holfi is the amp to buy! Wonderful resolution in midrange and treble and the warm sound makes it VERY plessant to listen too! Some amp's have trouble with being versatile, not this amp it can play anything from classical too Jazz and hardcore rock. The bass is very impressive and tight!

If you buy a Holfi you can allways upgrade it just like a PC! My integra 8 can be upgraded to an Ingegra 88 which is not out yet but it's going to have 2 X100 w's and with totally new technology. The Ingtegra 8 can becaruse of the limited space "only" be upgraded to a 2 x 100 w amp, but apart form the size of the powersupply all sound processing technology can be upgraded on and on and on. Not that you upgraded a 100 times, but it is nice to know that when you buy expencive hifi such as the Integra 8 (1250 us $ here in Denmark), you don't lose all you money when you want something bigger, and you allways want something bigger! If you want to take a look at the Holfi products here is where to go "www.hifiklubben.dk" clic on "produkter" (that's products in danish).

ENJOY

Integra 7.8 as a preamp

I am in the process of building my HT. I have compiled a decent set of Def Tech speakers BP 2002 fronts, CLR 2002 center, BP 1.2x surround and Studiomonitor 350 rears. I just finished building an infinite baffel sub (side note: totally worthwhile. I never knew...I never even saw it coming...) and ... Read More »

Classe -vs- Integra DTC 9.8

I currently have a Classe ssp-30, I don't know enough to determine if i should buy an Integra DTC - 9.8. i know classe is a fine piece of equipment. would going w/ the Integra be a lateral move? the only benefit I'm sure i would realize is the HDMI 1.3 and the switching capability that would come wi ... Read More »

Elite Dv-59avi Or Integra Dpc 8.5

Friday march 4th. I have to decide on weather to buy a Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI or an Integra DPC-8.5. I will be using the unit for DVD video-Audio and SACD and and regular CD'S . Any thoughts would be very much appriciated. Thanks.Read More »

Advice on Denon 3805 vs Integra DTR-8.3

Hey guys, I'm a newb to this hifi stuff and i wanted to get some imput regarding what you all think I should do. I am purchasing new Dali Suite 1.7 speakers along with Dali's 0.7 Surround set and a TruAudio CS-10 Sub. I'm stuck between getting a Denon 3805, maybe a Denon 2805 and a Integra DTR-8.3. ... Read More »

Award-Winning Axiom: