Harman Kardon HK-690 Integrated Amplifiers

4.53/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Submitted by jkedz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
I am an Audio designer (MKPArchitecture.com). I have designed systems ranging in the $250,000 to a few thousand. I have a client that has $50,000 two channel system. I recently changed to SLS S8R speakers (pro Monitor mix speakers) with ribbon HF. I now realize how good my old HK 655 is. It rivals and in some ways beats out his high end tube system with avalon speakers. I boght the amp because of its phase linear design. It turns out it is a clean, fast, linear and most importantly, musical amp. Can't beleive that after all of these years and systems this has been right under my nose. It just needed speakers fast enough to show it off. I can't wait to reconnect my turntable. It even has a phono input stage for MC cartridges, including a cap trim adjustment.

Purchased At:   Rabeson's

Submitted by setock a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I can't believe AR has only three HK integrated amps listed for review. The HK PM series of integrated amps deserves to have mention here, they are built like tanks and sound incredible. Several models have a button on the front panel that disconnects the preamp from the main amp, eliminating the use of U-links. This can be of great benefit when connecting an
HT receiver. The unit can be used as an integrated amp on it's own, or as a separate amp for an HT receiver at a push of a button. This review is for the PM665vxi and the PM655vxi models. Both units sound incredible as an integrated or separate amp, the 665 has 100wpc and separate transformers for both channels. Both units appear often for auction on ebay, check them out, they are well worth what most are asking for them. They are well built, extremely solid, and the sound is warm yet detailed. They can easily power difficult loads. I bought a NAD C320BEE because I had heard and read good things about them, but returned it because it could not match the PM655 or 665. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Submitted by Andreas Holmberg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
If dark speaker ok, atherwise buy NAD !

Purchased At:   lokal dealer

Submitted by GePe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Sounds and looks great. Very detailed and yet with lots off all frequent capability (especially in low frequencies - my subwoofer trembles).

I couldn’t find any competitor in this price range (even if I bought this hight quality amp unbelievable cheap).

I listen to different kind of music. From Bach to Beck. Together with my HK CD player HD-760 (with HDCD-capacity) Mark Knopfler never sounded better… He moves out off my speakers into my living room.

HK-690 is an integrated amplifier witch I recommend for everyone with serious music interest. No extra knobs, a source selector and a direct out function helps you concentrate on the actually impossible mission to stay in your seat when Marc strikes your ears…

Yeahhhh!

Purchased At:   Bluemarx

Submitted by Boggi Svensson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love this amp. It produces a sound that is dynamic and clear. It's got a capability which is enormous. Also, I love the design.

Purchased At:   Klintons Hifi & Hemmabio