Harman Kardon HK 630 Integrated Amplifiers

4.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $360.00

40 W integrated, (+/- 40 amps, low negative feedback, wide bandwidth)

Submitted by Jezzer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Partnered with:

Marantz CD6000 KI
Dynaudio Audience 42

For a 40 watt integrated, it has enough power and punch to drive my Dynaudio's to a pretty loud level in my bedroom system (much better than a mini-system)! In fact, I tried out a HK 670 recently and while that amp might have more headroom than the HK630, it lacks the little Harman's clarity and timing. The HK 630 offers a fantastic sense of rhythm and bounce, giving dance and rock added propulsion. In fact, compared with the HK670, the HK630 has greater clarity, bounce and timing. The HK670 sounds muffled and lacking in detail. Only problem I've encountered with the HK630 is the slightly constricted midrange, which seems to be overwhelmed by the sometimes over bright treble and powerful bass.

Still, all in all, this is a great little amp and deserves a strong recommendation if only because of it's ability to bring music to life through its sense of vitality and rythmic bounce!

Submitted by Chris69 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am using this amplifier already 2 years.
I like it's design and it's sound. The power is enough for one big room (30m).
It's bass is solid and dynamic, the highs are good too. I was using before Technics equipment and now can understand the difference, when have this amplifier.
It has musicality and energy for any style of music. It's sound is natural and spatious. The incredible energy, with which it presents the music is so good that you can feel yourself like at the concert hall. For it's price this amplifier is really perfect. Now i am planning to buy HK670, which must be better.

Purchased At:   ATLANTA

Submitted by Robin Oakley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I saw this amp as an end of line bargain in a local Hi fi shop. After an auditon I paid £149 for it. Which is around half the original price.
I do like this amp a lot I am in the process of rediscovering my CD collection. Such is the presence and depth that this amp lends to the music. Instruments are well defined and imaged strongly within the stereo mix. It is a pacey amp I have yet to find it caught with it's trousers (pants) down when it comes to compex pieces of music. It seems to succeed in picking up details that I had never even heard before on some tracks.
It does, however, require a little warming up and it does get warm before it starts to deliver the good stuff. On the first listening of the day you can hear each subsequent track becoming richer and broader.
Build quality is good and I really like the styling especially the source selector switches and large motorised volume knob.
It's loud, louder than it claims and the sound seems to fill the room even at low volumes.
Turn it up (if you dare)and it's like a loud rock concert you feel the music more than you hear it and I mean that it a good way.
This amp is fun in a way that cheaper amps can't acheive and more expensive amps shun.

Purchased At:   Spatial HiFi (London)

Submitted by Chris Riep a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
Remarkable little amp. Can´t do everything but performs even complex material with stunnishing coolness. Especially recommended for usage as good quality preamplifier (splitable!).

Submitted by bassman a

Date Reviewed: June 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
Everithing that Ludvig said is correct. I am using this amp as preamp for HK signature 2.1. Because of that I got no problems with"noises" so :

HK 630, OK NR900, Yamaha 2400, etc.. ???

Hey all. Looking to purchase a reciever here shortly. I have been looking at the HK AVR 630 and others around the same price for comparison. I have found a good deal on the Onkyo NR900 (last year's model). I am wondering if it is far superior to the HK 630. I have also been looking at the Yamaha 140 ... Read More »

60.0 WA BLACK: