Denon PMA-880R Integrated Amplifiers

4.29/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

75 Watt Integrated Amplifier With Remote (1992-1994)

Submitted by Helder Cruz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought the Denon PMA-880R as my first integrated amplifier in 1995 and I am still enjoying it. I have recently moved to a larger home and I have changed from a Pioneer PD S503 CD player into a Marantz CD5003 and kept the KEF Q50. Now I have a greater space and I realised the sound has improved. I will keep the system for years to come!

Submitted by Jaeman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
I got this PMA 880 R off ebay for a good price which make this Vgood amp to me . it is match up with a pare of AAD c400 speakers( bi wire ), a yamaha cdx 397 cd player and a gera planar 3 ( with motor upgrade kit & platter kit too ). the PMA 880 R on this system delivers a good will rounded sound , smooth accurate mid & high tones , deep rich bass. Yes their are better amps out there but not at the price or for my system .

Submitted by Silveray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I think majority of the reviewers were right to say that this amp sounded muddy. That's why one has to be careful in selecting what speakers and equipment to match with it. I feel that my Monitor Audio Monitor 2 is too bright sounding and its bass sounded lean. Hence, I decided to match them with the Denon PMA-880R after reading some of the reviews on it. I can say I'm pretty satisfied with the sound now. My Monitor Audio speakers do not sound so bright anymore. It has become more warm sounding and the lumpy bass from the amp has actually added some body to the vocals like never before!

Purchased At:   2nd hand store

Submitted by music224422 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have noticed the extreme polarization on some of the reviews; I often attribute it to "individual tastes"; subjective qualities that are justifiably different.

However, I feeled compelled ,after reading several very beneficial articles and reviews ( one of which appears above: Stanley Johnson. Well-done!!!)

It is my hope to help as many music lovers as possible come closer to enjoyimg their music , and not getting caught in the neurosis of equipment chasing.
While it is certainly expected to desire a new product; with all the new "bells & whistles"; It is also reasonable to expect a small hiatus from the purchase arena and time to relax, enjoy the product!!!!

For many of us......This period of reflection, relaxation, and enjoyment is far too brief, it at ALL!!!!! We listen for only a period ( 2 weeks---3 months--long for MOST!!!). After this period we either:
(1) Validate our choice as being extremely wise(Usually happens on VERY expensive purchases
or
(2) We list it FOR SALE, and start looking for something "new" all over.

Unfortunately this cycle has little to do with the quality of the equipment, even less to do with music, and almost ALL to do with ego.......It has to costs more, or be bigger, or have more "fab" reviews than the one your friend "just bought".

This treatise could continue; However, the point here is about my e3xperience with the Denon....EXACTLY the same as the previous reviewer.
> Use the brightest,(preferably very neutral & transparent i/c's that you can find)NO expensive brands need apply!!!
> Really does need adequate warm up time(approx. 1.5-2 hrs)

Is it a "world beater" ? Be serious!!!!
I said I wanted to help, not make you delusional!!!! (My later rating is "giant-killer; for lack of any other alternative responses)
It's not going to trounce your $6K pre/power separates; However, when PROPER attention is taken for set-up and ancillary equipment, you will be a LOT closer than you think!!!!!

And from a musically coherent (ie. balance) perspectiv, it will actually outperform many of your friends high end systems.

Sure, the'll have their soaring highs, liquid midrange, thundering bass, etc..---------but ; You'll have your music!!!!!!!

ISN"T THAT WHAT IT"S REALLY ABOUT ??????

Submitted by Burak BAYRAM a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp used from a second hand store for $250.I auditioned it thru a Marantz CD-4000, Van Den Hul Thunderline Interconnect and ClearWater speaker cables plugged to KEF Cresta III's.Actually the sound seemed OK in the store but it did not at home.
I am not an audiophile and did not listened to real expensive HI-FI or HI-END ( I mean the stuff that you can buy a car instead )so my comments can be a kind of rookie's.
The amp has quite good built quality with all the controls supplied like the similars of the era-even a DENON compatible remote... It has a mid sized toroidal transformer ( the reason of lightweight-9kg. )also quality transistors and capacitors. ( I am working in a satellite receiver manufactoring factory as purchasing manager so I know how good components look like ) nearly all controls have relays and i like that... Well though it writes on the front panel I don't belive it's real Class A by the way.Maybe something similar to Technics' Class AA... And also it does not get hot easily.
About the sound; first of all it's not bad! But it's not perfect either... If you're looking for "clear as water" highs and soft and slow bass ( like vintage receivers' ) do not buy this amp.Bass is too tight and highs are placed behind...Vocal is a bit muddy and undetailed.It feels like you have "something" between you and the singer.Also it feels like all the musicians are put in a small room and playing so close to each other.otherwords you cannot picture the stage... But for electronic music this amp is very good.The treble never gets harsh and fast bass sounds like you are listening PA equipment.I like clear highs and soft lows so I think I will change this amp and go for a high level Pioneer or a ONKYO A-9911 maybe... I listened to 9711 and it was really exciting but does not have input for phono so I am looking for the upper model 9911... Maybe a Yamaha AX-892 would be a good choice as it was something between DENON and ONKYO ( natural sound ).
Anyway, if you're into Classic Rock, Jazz or Blues it's not what you like I guess but if you like techno or electronic music kind of thing go and get one you won't be disappointed... You may find my system below

DENON PMA880R Integrated Amplifier
SONY CDPX555ES CD Player
Pioneer F-T445 Tuner
Technics 1210 MkII Turntable ( Shure M70BX cartridge/styli)
Audio Event 8.1 Speakers ( handmade for ONKYO in Germany )
Bandridge Bi-Wire speaker cables