Dared VP-845 Integrated Amplifiers

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Model: VP-845 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER (SINGLE-END CLASS A) TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS: MAX OUTPUT POWER: 18Wx2 FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 20-20KHz (±1.5dB) DISTORTION: =1% SIGNAL TO NOISE RATIO: =84dB INPUT SENSITIVITY: 250mV INPUT IMPEDANCE: 100K ohm OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 4 ohm/8 ohm SIZE: L500 x W260 x H330 MM WEIGHT: 34.0Kgs THE TUBE USED: 845x2,6SN7x2,12AX7x2

Submitted by keith devane a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
I had a gut feeling about this amplifier and decided to take a risk and make a purchase.With the stock tubes the sound is very good, if a little edgy at the top end in my system.I replaced the output tubes with the top Psvane 845's, input and rectifier tubes with Rca and Sylvania brown base. This is now a beautiful sounding amp with very good bass control, superb mid and upper frequencies, great detail and most importantly conveys the emotion in the music.
The two speakers I have tried are the WLM La Scala and the Klipsch klf 20.
The sound is a bit more refined with the WLM ,although a bit reticent at times, I'm pretty sure this speaker prefers pushpull amplification. On to the Klipsch, and all I can say is the music came alive, conveying an effortless sweep of glorious sound, the volume rarely needing to go past 9.00.All in all, a great amp but boy is it heavy!

Submitted by Gabe C. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
I actually own the amp that received poor reviews from "Gab" on here. We happen to have the same first name. I purchased it on Ebay directly from him for a whopping $470.00 + $200 shipping from Montreal to Phoenix. I don't think I'll ever sell it, since it's the BEST deal in audio I've ever scored. He expressed the same issues regarding power/bass to me. But I already knew I wanted one of these after auditioning some back-loaded horn (Fostex/Audax drivers) on the first version of the VP-845 (only 22 watts), which I purchased. So, I lied in wait and for once, was patient...for 2 years. I love the combination of a SET amplifier with highly efficient speakers. No disrespect to the other Gabe, but if you are a potential buyer, I think you must discount his opinion because I think he was mating the wrong speakers to this amplifier. My system achieves bass frequencies down into the 30s. With any lower-power SET amplifier, I think you will find that you'll get the best results with efficient speakers, such as full-range single driver configurations, or even speakers like those in the Klipsch Heritage line. I've tried a pair of Klipsch and achieved amazing results, but I reverted back to my back-loaded horns. The VP-845 typically sells at a used price of $1200 - $1500, and at a price in that range, I'd go for it. Mine is the centerpiece of my system... all other pieces revolve around it.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by audiogonnut a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
It has a sound very similiar to a top notch tube preamp/solid state amp combo. The bass is surprisingly taught not boomy. The mid bass is full and satisfying. The midrange is lush and clear. Treble is sweet. Sound staging is wide and deep.
Very quiet from the speakers. There is no hum from the big transformers. It is very reliable. There is no issue whatsoever. Make sure you hook up to the best sounding output tab for your speaker. I had a Jolida integrated amp and there is no comparison. This one is sound much more warmer and clearer.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Gab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is my second review, after midifying the circuit...

Sound is no longer cardboard sounding
Sound is no longer pipe sounding

Details of the music are more present, but not the micro.

Bass is good down to 100 hertz compaired to 200 hertz before...

Speaker control is 'soft', this amp is very easy on drivers, they are very controled , they never boom but at the same time its very punchy sounding, no problem for techno / electronic music :)

Submitted by Gab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
First, this is a brief review, and my first. I tested on these settings , please note that ill do more testing and moding the amp or sell it to someone who doenst want bass...
- Saba 12inches (for bass) in oppen baffles 3 m high and 1.5 meter wide,
-Whd, medium - small.
-telefunken (best telefunken ever).

I used sony cd players, blu ray, mps players, and the legendary x707esd

no equalization was made.

PANAMAX: