Creek Audio 4330 Integrated Amplifiers

4.63/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $495.00

45 Watt Integrated Amp

Submitted by stereonut 22 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
This amp is really a gem for a budget system. My system comprised of Advent 1 speakers, which I bought them 1978 and they were refoamed this year, Sony CD/SACD changer (which I bought last year at $150). The system produce sound which is unbelievably detailed, warm, and most of all, such a wide sound stage. With the same system, I listened via Marantz 18 receiver, Fisher 500T receiver, Dynaco 70, and Cary SF-35. Each one has its own chartacteristic sound which are very good, but Creek out performed them with a big margin. The Cary amp which is one of the best EL84 amps is very close to Creek yet, it is somewhat soft at the top and vague in bass compared to Creek. Once in a while, I switch to one of this receivers or amps, only to appreciate the sound of Creek. Of course, if you spend many grands, you might be able to improve the sound, but the difference may be very minimal compared to what you spent. If you are pursuiing for pure perfect sound, if there is, you can spend as much as you can, if you can afford, but if you like to enjoy music, you can achieve it without exhorbitant spending. The Advent 1 speakers, you can get them with less than $100 in Ebay and if you are lucky you can get the original Advent speakers with classic look. Just make sure the cones are refoamed (you can buy a kit at ebay at around $20 and it is not difficult at all). The CD player is amazing. Wonder how they can make such good sound with such low price. I do not use fancy cables. I use Radio Shack speaker cables and audio cables. You can enjoy all kinds of music hours without any fatigue.

Submitted by hagenation a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
After my 100w Rotel RA 985 integrated went down with a bad relay (after eight solid years of use) I was totally depressed. I live for music. While I waited for my Rotel to come back from the shop I found a good deal on a Creek 4330r. I have B&W DM601s in my small apartment, so I don't go too loud. The Creek is a perfect fit. What a glorious sweet sound -- just pure music. It's not as powerful as my Rotel. Nor as quick on transients or as deep in the bass -- even the soundfield width is smaller. But there is something so right about the music. It's delicious. It's totally smooth and warm, every note inviting you in. And so I'm off to enjoy hours of listening nirvana.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by aroostookme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I like this amp as much as any other reviewer here. I would add that it outdoes the Cambridge Audio integrate amps easily.

It also approaches, in sound, the substantially heavier and better built Music Hall Mambo. My Mambo is just a joy to look at and lift. Heavy and even the power cord is audiophile grade. But the Creek feels like an empty box and seems impossibly underweight and small to do what it does.

That may have something to do with why everyone finds this amp amazing. The sound and the lack of mass and audiophile feel to the product.

Here's what it it won't do for you. It won't power a set of Snell Type A's or a set of Kef Reference 3's, or the Dahlquist 10's, or AR 3A's, or similar low efficiency speakers that do sound fantastic with larger amps. Even with less perfect, but more powerful amps.

However, this Creek makes both my Proac 1sc's and my Proac 2.5's sing. If you consider the musicality and value in a Proac - Creek - Rega Planet system it boggles the mind you could have sound at this level for so little.

As for the Music Hall, it makes the larger speakers I listed here sing where the Creek falls down. But, if you are looking to add more power to the Creek all you have to do is choose the more recent model which has more than twice the 4330's output.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by BradNad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
After using a Mike Creek designed Cambridge Audio A3i for around three years, when the time came to upgrade amplification, my choice was always going to be slightly biased.

I had always enjoyed listening to Creek amps. It has been their ability to sound balanced across the entire frequency range, but at the same time allowing the listener get right to the heart of the music which orientated me towards the brand. They never fatigue and offer superb levels of detail and insight.

When I first started using the 4330R Mk2, it drove a pair of B&W 303's. The front end was an Arcam CD72. It simply made the 303's sing. Listening was a pleasure. the 4330 just got on with it's job: making great music.

When i eventually upgraded the 303's to the more costly B&W CDM 1 NT's, I found the 4330 a little out of steam. There was a lack of bass, drive and presence. It became quite obvious that this little amplifier prefered easier loads.

Not giving up on this gem of an amp, I purchased the Creek A43 Mk2 Power Amplifier. This is a 50W/channel power amp with identical gain to the 4330. It is perfect for biamping with the 4330.

I connected the 4330 to the Nautilus tweeters and the A43 to the bass drivers.

I turned on and the drive, speed and bass was back! At the same time the trebble became sweeter and the midrange so, so clear! I was stunned.

The passive front end in this amp allows your source to tell the complete story. It is important therefore to use low capcitance, short interconnects between CD player and amp for best results. It is also a good idea to buy the best CD player you can afford! (I am now using an Arcam FMJ CD23T).

In short this little amplifier offers a transparent and balanced sound quality that few can match (at any price!).

If you expect foundation breaking bass then you may well have come to the wrong place. This amp is all about balance and pure musicality. Very much a product for purists who crave for purity, clarity and refinement. However, do not get me wrong, this amp can party as well. Infact, it's dynamics are one of it's strong points.

A great amp, from a designer who knows how to make great sounding products at affordable prices.

Purchased At:   Creek Audio

Submitted by aBe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought this little performer about year ago. The 4330R MKII has to be the best amplifier for so little money that I've bought or used. Transparent, detail and possess such a oh-so-right timing. Compared to the same price bracket gears - say Audiolab 8000, Arcam DiVA65 etc, the Creek beats em hands down...it even beat the Naim Nait 3. I could safely say that the 4330 has got 90% music and excitement of my other Naim Pre/Power.

jolida 1301 vs. cambridge 640 vs creek 4330

Still trying to pick an integrated for my paradigm studio 20s and hopefully someday tyler reference monitors. Have it down to these three but don't live close to authourized dealers for any, looking for any picks. Thanks for any tips!Read More »

Wood Technology: