Cary Audio Design SLI-80 Signature Integrated Amplifiers

• Vacuum tube rectified
  • All point-to-point wiring

Submitted by Jake a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
just bought my first class a stereo best i have listen to look at a couple Musical Paradise tube amps sounded good but always broke after a month. this has great american built and has the most bass of all I have heard in a tube amp. Still looking for speakers using my dads "12" year old areo's which sound like new and tried the staffs too. I strongly recommend to tome acoustic for there build and quality and price, and looks especially for any low powered amps ilk cary audio! trust me if you haven't listen to a totem. you haven't never heard a real good speaker! Some totem speakers may be a two way but will beat out any three way! and towers have a good definite bass response. But remember the closer to the wall the more bass response will come out of it! I can even hear great detail like the hum from a fender 65 twin reverb amp. Or a person coughing in the background at a Diana Krall live concert. Also live saxophone that sends shivers up your spine and Norah Jones live voice like she was acutely there! Price

paid $2200 canadian on sale at Audio 5.1

This is a great amp i listen to all types of music to Diana Krall, Norah Jones, to Earth wind and Fire to the Doobie Brothers, kenny Loggins, journey,Chicago and other classic rock, to Stevie Ray Vaughan,David Sanborn, other blues, and Whitney Houston

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Arthur G. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
What a fantastic amplifier this box is....I have been in the industry for 15 years and heard it all. I purchased the fully upgraded version SLI80 Signature F1 Edition with Jensen oil and copper capacitors, WBT speaker terminals, CD input wired with Kimber Kable, Hexfreds in the power supply, and the Grayhill Selector switch. I have a small audio only dedicated room where Arcam FMJ36 is used as a source and Reference 3A Veena speakers. For the interconnect I use the Purist Audio Elementa Advance Presato Revision and the speaker cabling is achieved by a pair of Cardas Quadlink 5c in bi-wiring configuration. The cardas cross power cord is used with Cary amp and Cardas Twinlink is used with CD player.
I listen to variety of music material including Miles Davis, Jan Garbarek, Bill Evans, Diana Krall, Madeleine Peyroux, Cassandra Willson, Dino Saluzzi, as well as Genessis, Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin and much,much more...
After years of experimentation with different equipment I finally found perfect combination that let me listen to the music for hours, days sometimes without the fatigue...SLI80 is simply amazing on so many levels - first, it is very well priced and you can get used one if you decide to , and its sound.....wow!!! What a soundstage!!! I have never heard anything like that from any Solid state gear including Mark Levinson 33H that drove B&W silver signatures.....Yes, the imaging could be a tad better but one cannot expect perfection in every aspect from the piece that cost $3K....there are always compromises. I have been using this amp for two years now with Electro-harmonix set of KT88 tubes and pair of Electro-harmonix 6922s.....I played with various tubes including NOS and I have to tell you that it was a waste of time and money.....SLI80 sounds great with current production tubes that I usually get from Upscale Audio when needed. The most important issue is to chose the right speakers to work with Cary. Remember, tube amps have huge input impedance (100KOhms) so they will accent any imperfection with speakers frequency response. In other words if you chose speakers that treble characteristic is accented, the amp might sound bright!!! Not many speakers are suitable enough to be used effectively with Tube amps. That is why I hardly recommend the Reference 3A products.....I can guaranty you will be amazed....The mid-range sweetness is simply unlivable...I used to own Creek Destiny amp that hurt my ears so badly that I sold it right away...

You can't go wrong with this amp.....choose your speakers wisely and you have system for life!!!!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Joe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love this amplifier. Rich exciting musical presentation. Fabulous midrange. Bass is very good for an all-tube integrated. Highs are good. Depth and sondstage are first-rate as well. I compared it directly to many others, and it clobbers them musically. More involving than other integrateds. A great product.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Jack Su a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
It is a very musical amp. It fit my taste better than ARC LS2 and ARC CL60 combo. The ARC combo has lots of good traits that you can describe by using the high-fi term. But, the equipments is still between you and music. For Cary SLI 80 Signature, The first though come to my mind is beautiful music, not how the high sounds or how deep the bass is. I do believe ARC combo will sound musical in different setting and environement.

The sound of SLI 80 Signature is very smooth and sweet. The sound stage is big. Bass is decent for a tube amp. Mid range is trasparent and beautiful. The high range is adquate but may be not the best. However, the low, mid, and hi are integrated perfectly and I think that is why it sounds so musical.

Some other strong points:

Endless functionality: Remote, phone amp, switch between utralinear and triode...

Very easy to bias and take lots of different power tubes:

KT88/6550/KT90/EL34...

I have exchange few e-mail with Dennis and Greg of Cary Audio. They are extremely helpful and let me feel they do care about me. That is a big plus.

In my opinion, this is a must audition amp if you plan to spent more than $2800. BTW, did I mention it is musical?

Associate equipment:

Jack

Purchased At:   Used from Audiogon

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow. What an amp. For starters The Cary is aesthetically very pleasing. Well built, solid and oozing with class, right down to the solid chunky switches and connectors. The all-metal remote can only be described as a ‘mans’ remote. Makes competitor products look second rate. At the first glance, you can see this is an amp of substance …
From the bat, it was obvious that the amp has a lot of oomph and had no problem playing rock accurately without distorting even at very high volume levels. (My neighbors can vouch for the high volumes) Even in triode mode it was threatening to blast my walls down without any hint of running out of power.
Unlike some other tube amps I have heard, this beast is not slow and one is made aware that the Cary is absolutely and mercilessly in control of the speakers. Base is well controlled and extended. The claimed frequency response 19Hz to 23KHz at +-.5db at full power is very believable as the extension at both lower and high frequencies is better than what I have heard from many high-end SS amps.
The Cary throws a huge soundstage, extending far past the walls in my room. Given the right material, it projects a very deep soundstage to. On more than a few occasions I have spun round on the couch to see what was making the sound behind me.
But the best is the natural and delicate way the Cary portrays music. It seems especially good on strings. Hard and fast guitar work is now remarkably detailed and delicate. Cymbals aren’t smeared anymore, and even the most soft and ‘hidden’ sounds in the material are displayed with high, yet delicate detail. It makes music, all types and genres, absolute joy to listen to.
Since taken receipt of the Cary a number of weeks ago, I have become decidedly anti-social. I find myself listening to music till the early hours of the morning, listening to tracks on my CD’s that I never previously bothered to listen to. I’d recommend this amp for both audiophiles and non-audiophiles – if you were not an audiophile before you buy the Cary, you’ll be one shortly afterwards.
Thanks to Kevin Deal of Upscale for selling me the Cary. It the best investment I’ve made in hifi ever …

Purchased At:   Upscale