Cary Audio Design CAI 1 Integrated Amplifiers

The Cary Concept Series CAI 1 solid state integrated amplifier is rated at 125 watts per channel at 8 ohms. It is a Class A/B design with four RCA inputs, Cinema bypass, tape monitor loop and one balanced XLR input. It has remote volume and input selection. The front panel display has read outs of functions and settings. Three remote turn on triggers, IR repeaters, RS 232 port control.

Submitted by Stliong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2009

Bottom Line:
I compared this with a lot other integrated before making the purchase: Exposure 3010, Onkyo A9755, Bryston B100SST, Roksan Kandy K2, CEC 5300, Pioneer SX-A9-J, Arcam FMJ A38, and others that I've forgotten the model #. The Cary is by far better than any of those amps. Listening to it, I felt that I'm hearing what the recording is supposed to sound like. It amplifies the source just as it is without adding any coloration or warmth or sounding bright. The ICE module is just awesome and at the price the dealer offered me, it's the obvious choice against PS Audio Trio C100 amp that's also ICE based. It also has balanced input should the need to use it arise in the future. The amp will probably last me more than 10 years.

During the audition, I also tested a few CD players and no surprise the one that sounded the best is the matching Cary player. But I'm not ready to break my rule of spending more than $1K on a moving mechanical item like a CD player or transport.

Product model year:   2008