Carver Audio CM-1090 Integrated Amplifiers

4.87/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

100 Watts Integrated Amp - Magnetic Field Power Amp Sonic Holography (1990-1996)

Submitted by Szymon0887 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2014

Submitted by Kevin Rubin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought my CM-1090 new in 1992 after my previous integrated amp died... My key requirement was that it had to sound good, with rich bass, at low volume, since I don't like loud noise at all. The CM-1090 excels at that, nothing I'd ever heard before or after sounded so good, clear and full at lower volume.

I used it to listen to a variety of music, from psychedelic rock to death metal to classic rock to Indian classical music to hardcore punk and a bit of western classical and lots of things, and everything sounds good on this.

I like that it has an analog knob, rather than digital increments, since at the volume I listen to music, the difference between one notch on digital increments can be the difference between "can't hear it" and "painfully loud". So this is perfect there.

Submitted by zipcode100 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
Got this integrated amp from an auction on ebay. This is one of many Carver "vintage" pieces I got from different sources. I must say it is my favorite so far. It is very well built. The design and layout of the various functions and buttons is simple but very adequate. The sound is impecable without any coloration or distortion. Absolutely no hum or hiss at any volume levels. Motorized volume knob and "direct CD" input that bybass the triple tone controls are a couple interesting features. There is also a B speaker setting that makes the second pair of speaker act as ambience sound. As far as looks are concerned, it is very elegant. With it's two analogue "old fashion" power meters combined to an overall modern look, the result is stunning. Rated conservatively at 100 watts per chanel into 8 ohms it should be more than enough power for most home applications.

Submitted by lenhoffcpa@yahoo.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was looking for an amp with umph but with a clear colorless sound. My limited budget steered me to an integrated amp design and therefore the field started to narrow. When I found this Carver, I remembered that the Carver name often means something.
I got my wish. The amp has now been with me through 3 pairs of speakers (presently Pinnacle Classic Gold Towers) and 2 CD players. It is a flat but sweet sound reproducer.
It has a CD direct pre-amp to amp stage or it allows you to go thrrough the preamp and adjust bass-midranfe-and treble controls. THrough both types of transport it allows the famous Carver holography imagining to be switched on or off. There are times I choose the image staging and times I don't, largely depending on the stage of the actual recording.
Put another way, this amp is loads of fun to enjoy with its sweetness, smoothness and serious POWER. For the money, you better know how to build your own.

Purchased At:   Loca store

Submitted by Alex Agui Sanc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this integrated amplifier in 1993, in a Hi-Fi store brand new, I used it with a pair of big,s JBL 11 series. For some reasons I change those speakers and the CM1090 in 1995 for a QUAD amp+pre and CArver,s ALIII, sounds very well but different. Now 8 years later in the month of May, my fiend is returning the CM1090 to me, for the same price i sold it. This amp was very well received and the first thing i made was connect it to my Carver,s and after 8 years a smile returns to my face, Nothing sound like this couple, I never had the opportunuity to heard them together before, and it,s really amazing. I spend large amounts of time hearing music, the best i can, and it,s really impressive. The price is a bargain for the quality of sound. Should be a classic like the bulbs Mac of the 70,s

Purchased At:   26-05-2003