Cambridge Audio Azur 640A Integrated Amplifiers

3.36/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $529.00

65W/channel into 8 Ohms, 100W/channel into 4 Ohms, protection system with no sound quality degrading active circuitry added into the signal path, THD <0.005% @ 1kHz, upgraded power supply, SNR 96dB ‘A’ weighted, Class ‘A’ follower driver stage, polypropylene bypass capacitors, second set of speaker outputs, optional MM phono, headphone output, standby function, bypassable tone controls, low-resonance and acoustically damped chassis, all-metal casework with a solid aluminium front panel, slim-line Azur remote control with aluminium top panel

Submitted by Dougie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2017

Bottom Line:
Purchased new with CD player listened to the amplifier for over a week then packed it back up in the original carton's..where they remain...!
I suspect people who play with audio gear have a reasonable sense of power rating's.
The amplifier rating is deceitful and has created the problem with the unit and user's, who know there not..! getting the rated power when dialing the volume at 12 o'clock....!
Once you understand.... the amplifier is really only 32.5 watts per channel..! you become more satisfied with the performance and tend not push the Cambridge at the threshold of a protection trip...!

Submitted by Stephen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2016

Bottom Line:
Had this amp for years. Had the cutout problems. But this was due to not running quality speakers. Not enough sensitivity in my opinion. So heat built up in the amp. Now running a set of tannoys, speakers cost circa £1000, no problems at all. Thumping clear bass. Very clear through out the spectrum. Have not had any heat issues. Truly a pleasure to listen to the setup.

Submitted by nomis3613 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
This review is based on pairing the amp with DB Dynamics Polaris 488F floorstanding loudspeakers and a Yamaha CDC-575 CD player. The 640A is a potential replacement for a NAD 712 integrated amp, so there will be many comparisons with the NAD. Musical styles included rock, funk and acoustic guitar with vocals.

The 640A was purchased second hand, upon unboxing the first thing I checked was that the amp does not go into Protection Mode when the volume is cranked (a problem mentioned in a few reviews here). Phew!

Now for the subjective comparison with the NAD. Keep in mind these observations are based on the DB Dynamics loudspeakers and my living area's (untreated) room acoustics. The 640A is significantly brighter in the vocals. There is also more punch to the mid-bass, the low frequency range doesn't go as deep as the NAD.

The observations about bass were confirmed by some measurements of playing pink noise through the system. The 640A dropped more than 8dB at 25 Hz (compared to 32 Hz), while the NAD only dropped 2dB. The measurements were less conclusive regarding the bright vocals- I was expecting to see more response around 2kHz for the 640A, but this was not the case. However, there was a 4dB dip for the 640A from 800-1600 Hz, perhaps this makes the vocals sound brighter than the NAD (which was pretty flat from 800 to 4k).

Stereo imaging is less clear on the 640A. Extremes of left and right are well defined, but the centred sounds seem to be smeared between the speakers without any definite location.

Although the NAD is the "winner" here, of course it depends on the rest of the system. I suspect that my speakers are quite bright, therefore the darker sound of the NAD works well to "tame" them. The brighter 640A took things too far in this case.

But with different speakers, the brightness of the 640A could be an asset. For the price they're available for second-hand these days, it's a good amp.

Submitted by Doug a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2013

Bottom Line:
I don’t even remember when I both mine together with Azure CD. Never managed to push it up over the half. Protection kicks in and sound is OFF. If you have a party assume you will be kneeling trying to unplug and plug the amp while holding the power button. So if you need excuse to say Sorry for looking under you skirt but I was only trying to bring the music back on, this amp is for you . For me I am tired of unplugging and plugging it back on. The problem got worse I can not even go above say 1/3 and it will shut off for no reason.
I thought this protection is good it will protect my amp. I did have to repair it once by replacing the . Power transistors at the certified repair shop which BTW did not look much better than any other store. They charged me arm and leg and amp is still doing the same protection cut off.
If you think that is the only problem you are wrong. After a year remote stopped controlling the volume. One needs to get up press the remote and ‘help the value button a bit till it starts working again. Very fancy British design.. Pity I did not go for some consumer level cheapo piece of equipment. It would work today. Anything to declare? Yes, don’t buy it.. It is garbage.

Submitted by manolo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
This amplifier is shockingly bad, when I bought it I did not like the sound, gave it a good break in, and nothing happened. I eventually lent it to my cousin, and got it back a few days ago. I clearly understand why I lent it, it is veiled to a great degree, no detail in the music, something is wrong with the volume as it starts clipping just over half power. I decided to open it up, and no wonder it is full of cheap chinese parts, cheap Xunda caps, the power supply is worthy of a phono stage, not an amplifier, it should be beefy and up to the requirements of a decently powered (on specs) amplifier, but it´s very substandard. It is dull, it sounds as if there was a curtain covering the speakers. I have a pair of sonus faber grand piano, which I run using a unison research s6 30W tube amp, and use an accupahse CD player, the combination is superb. When I connect the CA Azur, everything just degrades completely, admittedly it is a cheap amplifier, but it also sounds very cheap too. I have a very old Marantz SR-2385 which simply wipes the floor with the CA, there is no comparison whatsoever. It is much better to buy an old, higher quality amplifier than one of these cheap new amps. Do not buy, there are better options out there. I am very disappointed by CA, I also bought a 640P Phono Stage and it is equally bad. I will never buy CA equipment again.