Cambridge Audio 840a Integrated Amplifiers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $1599.00

Cambridge Audio's flagship integrated amplifier utilizes proprietary "Class XD" technology to reduce distortion as the amp shifts out of Class A. In effect a pre and power amp on the same chassis, with separate toroidal transformers for each. Includes a host of features, including balanced inputs, unique computerized control, and multi-room functions that are unusual for the price point. Rated at 120W per channel into 8 ohms.

Submitted by chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2014

Bottom Line:
Best bang-for-buck integrated amplifier My ears tend to be very sensitive to harsh sounds, so smooth, clear, and warm is .... Without getting into too much detail,. I love the sound. dynamic sound ., tight..and was amazed at its neutrality,at 120W per channel

Submitted by Gie.thijs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
It was with great expectancy that I could unpack this Cambridge 840C - luckily I could borrow it from the shop and hand it in when it didn't meet my expectancies. I was looking for a good match for my Focal JMLab 918 Profile loudspeakers - the sound of my old Aura Evolution was too thin so I needed more juice to the sound.
All in all my listening experience was not so positive. The Cambridge is very analytical, yes, but also harsh sounding and it had a tendency to get the bass booming (although I removed my speakers away from the wall). Pop and Jazz cd's were acceptable, though ithe bass was too prominent to be comfortable, but some classical music didn't stand the test, especially when a full bodied orchestral sound was needed (Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique with Dutoit on Decca for example) or operatic voices, especially female, didn't sparkle, they only irritated (e.g. Joyce DiDonato's Handel arias). Older recordings sounded dull.
I'm aware that itt is always difficult to match different audio components, but the line up with my Marantz CDII63 and my JMLab Profile 918 loudspeakers was not a happy one. The Cambridge is way too analytical and unforgiven - the warmth of the music is drowned in too much blaring pyrotechnics in the high and too prominent a bass. There was also a lack of presence and warmth in the midrange.
All in all no real success, though it might turn out to be a winner with other gear.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by sbul2020 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
I'll start off with the main reason for this review: problem with the volume control. I am writing this because I have read on several forums that people have had varying issues with the volume on version 1, from losing one channel to not being able to turn it down to having it ramp up on it's own. This pertains to the dial only, and the remote operates as intended.
Well I purchased the version 2 being of the belief that the problem was addressed in the second version. My amp has a problem that I noticed the other day- when increasing volume manually from -32db to -31db there is a loud static-like sound in the left speaker and the volume jumps DRAMATICALLY in that speaker. Made ME jump when it happened. It happens more often than not and is repeatable at the same spot.
Although I'm disappointed with this issue, I don't want to throw the amp under the bus with a one-star rating. It's well-built, smooth-sounding (to the point that I wouldn't pair it with laid-back speakers, unless that's your cup of tea), powerful and has most of the options people look for in a mid-fi integrated. Really no excuse, Cambridge, for the continuing volume issues.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by meir cohen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
the cambridge audio azur 840a is a fantastic amp,
say no more.
god bless you all.

Submitted by Flavio Dias a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2010

Bottom Line:
It is a high end sound with a budget price. I was not expecting nothing more than my Mark Levinson pre 22 and power 33H, but for me, Cambridge Audio 840A is at same level. Beautiful, clean, well defined and warm highs, open middles, and controlled bass. Balanced and transparent sound. You don't hear any electronic device behind music.
Congratulations to Cambridge Audio. The innovation of the Class XD works perfectly.
I am in love with Azur 840A.

Cambridge Azur 840A VS Atol IN100

Just recently bought a Cambridge Azur C CD Player........ I was totaly WOWED. So much so I decided I would upgrade my ATOL IN100 Integrated to the Cambride Azur 840A. Although I've read many reviews of the 840A I was wondering if anyone had comments/opinions comparing the Atol In100 to the 840A, ... Read More »

Atlantic Technology :