Audiolab 8000LX Integrated Amplifiers

4.83/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $695.00

Integrated Amp

Submitted by jimi jackson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
I'm new to hifi. I'm still learning and I enjoy spending hours upon hours learning and listening to hi-end stuff at various audio stores in the area. I purchased this integrated amplifier on Ebay a little over a year ago on a whim and I couldn't be happier. I'd previously never heard of Audiolab but I loved the simplistic style and straightforward approach the designers took so I took a chance. This amp has been rock-solid, reliable, smooth, with tight and deep bass with fantastic highs. The mids fall short of what you'll find on tube gear but then again on most tube gear i've auditioned i've been less than impressed with their bass so it's definately a trade-off. In the future I'll go with ss mono blocks with a tube pre but for a bedroom setup this little amp shines and worth every penny. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Submitted by joshcloud9 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this as an upgrade to a Creek 4330R, and wow what an improvement:

Clarity, immediately openned up the "picture", bass had slam and speed. Lovely and revealing.
Treble smooth, not at all grainy. Needs careful system matching as highly revealing.

Responds well to a high quality power cable.

Great as a pre-amp too.

Mine has proper binding posts that take bananas just fine!

Quote from Artech Electronis:

"The 8000LX protects 3 ways. If there is a short across the output, DC at the output (clipping or a shorted output transistor), or too much current drawn (as in too low a load impedance) the unit will remove the output and try 8 seconds later to reintroduce the power to the load. If there is an actual fault within the 8000LX, the unit will not reintroduce the power to the load. So your speakers will not be subject to DC from the 8000LX."

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Phil Brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I may have bought the last one made by Audiolab now Tag Mclaren. I got it at a very good price considering the Tag Mclaren price for the same amp is now three times as much here. I have recently read Power Amplifier Design by Douglas Self and this amplifier bears a strong resemblence to circuits I see in the book and the circuits on the technical page at Tag Mclaren. This amplifier is a state of the art design and I am very pleased with it. It does its job wonderfully well. With the volume comtrol turned down I am unable to detect any ambient noise from my speakers, not so with my Perreaux amp connected. 60 watts is more than enough to drive my speakers and the sound just jumps out at you. The music has a tight bass, sweet top end and really moves along. My CD collection has certainly grown since I bought it. I nearly bought an Arcam but the difference in looks and finish is like chalk and cheese. I do not like the plastic Arcam looks. The Audiolab is all metal case, a silky volume control and the mute and power up LED is situated just right. It has a chunky solid feel about it.
My only quibble is the speaker connections, I wish I could get a banana plug in there as I bi wire my speakers. I am not to keen on the piggy back plugs supplied.
I am now looking for an 8000S amp to partner it.

Purchased At:   lakeland Audio

Submitted by Steve Hughes a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
A great little amp here. I run it with a Myrad MC100 CD player (which cost twice the amp), and it more than holds it own. The speakers are Mission 703, which are biwired with VDH Cleartrack. Interconnects are Audioquest ruby, and Power is from Kimber Kable. It's all fed through a Gemini filter (not the best around though!).
I use this system mainly for electronic music, the amp really lets the bass through, and admitidly adds more of a touch of its own character. This isn't a bad thing though-if you like the audiolab sound, you'll be in heaven.
I auditioned a replacemt for it, and am looking at Naim, or possibly a Linn Kolector/ LK85 combo, as these have similar qualities.

Purchased At:   Musical Images, London, UK

Submitted by Mikhail a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use it with Michael Green Designs Revolution 80i speakers, CEC 5100z CD player, Cardas Quadlink5 cables throughout. Outstanding for the money, analytical but not sterile sound, good enough for almost any kind of music (except big orchestras, organ, heavy metal due to lack of ultimate bass - 60 watts is 60 watts). Very sensitive to changes in equipment and cables.

Premier Mounts: