Audiolab 8000 Integrated Amplifiers

4.17/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1195.00

Submitted by John Lumbard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have had this amp for over 8 years having upgraded from my previous Sansui. The amp currently is sourced from a marantz CD60 through Dynaudio floorstand speakers. The amp has worked faultlessly throughout. The sound is very balanced. The bass is deep and powerful, the midrange clear and the treble tonally balanced so listening never become fatiguing.
The amp does exactly what an amplifier is supposed to. It amplifies the source. Badly engineered CDs sound badly enginered. Quality Cds where the sound engineer has spent time getting the sound right sound wonderful. If the source is musical then the sound is musical, if the source is dull then the amp doesnt compensate for this weakness. Its very neatral. Detail is amazing. As such the amp allows the user to tailor sound to suit by selecting speakers which produce the sort of sound the listener likes. so those that complain of weak bass etc should perhaps look at the speakers or the source.
I listen to all music from rock to reggae, to garage to classical. Even some heavy metal. This amp just gets on and delivers.
Even though the amp is limited in power it is sufficiently loud to fill my lounge with music, rock and reggae can really pulse and I can feel the music as much as just hear it.

Remember listening to music is about listening to music. Sound is very personal. Partnered with a good source and speakers that produce sound to ones taste then this amplier will not disappoint.

Amplier design has changed much over the last 25years. Digital technology has. I now intend to upgrade my CD player. I have full confidence this amplifier will just allow the new player to improve my system. Its that good. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   2nd hand from a frie

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
It is a review of the 8000A-mkIII model.
Very well build. Low, elegant profile. Many, many nice features. But the sound is disappointing : neutral but not very detailed, compared to NAD 214, with NHT SuperOne speakers.
The value rating is for the price I paid for a used, but in perfect condition Audiolab.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by jonjon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
bought this amp, 8000A, afew yrs back. still can't get enought of it. the sound is very neutral & clean. sound tends to get better when this amp got heated up. even though this amp looks slim but it is very powerful & heavy. the tone controller has little impact on the sound reproduction. this amp is very rigid & does not give me any problem for the pass five yrs of usage. Clarity is the keyword for this amp. a very relaible & gd amp.

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this shortly after it came out,
in the mid-80s I think. I liked the
neutral sound, mc preamp (I would never
go back to mm!) and tone controls - defeat
them for audiophile listening, enable them
and feed a subwoofer for parties.

In the last week, after some 15 - 20 years,
the amp has developed its first fault. A
power trannie has gone. I thought that the
sensible thing was to buy something new
with remote control, but I didn't hear
anything I liked at an affordable price, so
I'm going to fix it. Does anyone have a
circuit diagram to help me make sure I fix
the right fault? :o)

This is an amp which does most things
pretty well. A £ 1000 combination of a
dedicated MC preamp and an integrated
amplifier does sound noticeably better.
But at the price, there's nothing IMHO
to touch it. Even at double the price,
there's nothing to touch it - and £ 1000
is three times the price

Purchased At:   somewhere in Guildfo

Submitted by Per Ivar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought my Audiolab8000A in january 99.
I still have it and I`m still satisfied with this amplifier. It have been said about this amplifier that it is boring and with no good or bad sides. In othe word, as I see it, it is neutral.
in many ways this is good. By changing source for sound and speakers, you can get the sound you want via an neutral amplifier.
A tip for you who have one of this amplifiers who`s about to be rear: change the power cord. I made my own cord from a solidcore earth cable. 2,5 square mm x3.
this made it sound more power full.
I altso have a x condensator who`s made to stand 250volts atached in a contact for the wall. This works as a kind of noise filter. it does not improve the sound, but take away noise.

Purchased At:   Trysil Elektroservic

F:S New Samsung 46 LED 8000 Smart TV...$750

RETURNS: Our number one goal is customer satisfaction. If you have a problem with an item you have received from us, please notify us immediately by sending us a message through email. Returns are accepted within 14 days of the time in which you have received the item, we will either refund your p ... Read More »

Denon Rc 8000

Greetings All, I have a Denon AVR 5800. Unfortunately the RC 8000 remote has a broken screen. The screen is still in tact, but because the LCD is damaged, you can no longer see what in on the display. I have been searching high and low for another one, but no dice. Is anyone aware of: Where I might ... Read More »

Realistic R-8000

Scored this for $10 today at a local thrift. Couldn't resist. The arm looks fantastic. Solid wood plinth, weighs roughly 17 lbs. Belt driven w/ a metal base and platter. It has an original Realistic cart with a Shure RS70 stylus. The headshell has an awesome retro look. I'm getting ready to ... Read More »

Suggestions for a new pre-amp (replacing Denon AVP-8000)..

So while the world's struggling with the swine flu I seem to have gotten bit by an upgrade bug yet again. To make the long story short I currently have Denon's AVP-8000 (with which I really have no fault), but am thinking of whether I should upgrade from it and to what. I don't think I'll be going ... Read More »

8000 sq ft in need of quality sound

I have a warehouse that I would like to setup with a system. What are the first steps in creating a system to this, without adding a third night job, lol within reasonable cost. What speakers or loudspeakers will carry great sound for 8000 sq ft? how many will be necessary? What models? Is a ... Read More »

MS 1400W: