Audio Refinement The Complete Integrated Amplifiers

4.53/5 (58 Reviews) MSRP : $1050.00

Integrated Amp

Submitted by Mete a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2013

Bottom Line:
If anyone has Triangle Speakers and who is searching an affordabla amplifier, try the Audio Refinement Complete or Alpha and see how the bass is responding to 50W power. it is unbelievable! i compare the AR with exposure 2010S which has the power of 75W but AR has a great bass control and very balanced with my Triangle Celius 202! that's it :)

Submitted by amperidian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
I cannot say enough about this amp, so much has already been said, and it's true, this little integrated amp is a pleasure to listen to. Unlike others here, I find that 50W/channel is adequate to drive my Martin Logan Clarity speakers. I never need to go past 9 o'clock, but I have gone up to 12 without any noticeable distortion. Very clean power, great detail, awesome instrument placement, this little integre has to be heard with electrostatics to show what it's capable of. It puts out a sensational soundstage in its price range, slightly forward but I have yet to play around with placement to see if that changes.

Ceramic feet upgrades did not produce an improvement here, except that it keeps it flat on surfaces (rubber feet wear on the side with more weight). Tonality is neutral. Aestheticaly, this integre looks better than most of its competition.

Interestingly, I found bass slam does decrease after it breaks in, about 60 hours for mine. Not to say that it lacks it, it just softens up and becomes much more musical, the transition becomes more subtle. But in terms of quantity of bass, this amp rocks.
Upgraded power cord made a BIG difference. Tonality improved (more neutral, with improved voice rendering) as well as bass (more rich) and the noise floor (hissing) is gone. I put an Audioquest NRG 5 powercord and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who has this amp. I use an NRG 2 on the CD player in the Complete series, again BIG improvement here in the low end punch. Nothing really bad to say about this player, I mean look at how much I paid for it. I've heard smoother sounding amps, richer, more detail at 16x the price, but in my opinion this gets to within 85% of the best out there for a fraction of the cost. I can't afford 100% quite yet, at 25 yrs of age I'm just glad I can enjoy what I have.

It also changes the signal very little because it's got a passive preamp, therefore really this is 90% an amplifier ... hence the very high gain on the volume control.

BTW, I drove a pair of PMC OB1's with the AR integre and I have to say that it did better than I expected. For those who know, the OB1's need about 200w/channel to really show their potential, but they did pretty good with this amp running at 12 o'clock. Sounded a little dark and reserved, but it's only rated at 50w/channel. Would not use it with the OB1's though. Good match with easy to drive speakers. And best of all it runs cool, unlike pure class A heaters.

I like it. I will never part with it unless I can go up to the true YBA line 2 or 1 or PASSION ... much more money for 10-20% more performance, is it worth it? That depends on what you can afford!

I gave it a 5 for value and a 5 overall, because it impressed me and I found it very affordable, but don't go selling your Linn amps to buy one of these because this is not better, it's just far better value for the money in my opinion for those with budgets.
My system:

Martin Logan Clarity speakers

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by espn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
What I mention below is about the alpha version.

Same as what advertised, the bass does improve with the new alpha version, while the original strengths such as transparency & natural soundstage are preserved. I even have to block the bass reflex port of my speaker to reduce the bass slam.

Capturing the essence of YBA, the AR just conveys music very relaxingly with a touch of elegance. Neither exceptionally analytical nor lush, it just lets music flow and never sounds harsh.

Though it's rated 50W only, the power should be adequate for most budget speaker with modest efficiency. Normally, I just needed to fill my 60 sq.ft listening space with 20% power.

Finally, I must give credit to its design and quality, the 8mm brushed allunium face plate is just beautiful to resist.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by AUDIOTOO a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
Simply amazing for the price. Equals my previous integrated (Musical Fidelity A300) WITHOUT the occasional brightness.
Comes very close to all the strengths of my Cary tube setup, but more detail and a more realistic soundstage.

Purchased At:   Higher Fidelity Audi

Submitted by DMolisher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is one sweet and musical integrated amp! I traded in my 10-day-old NAD C320BEE entry-level integrated for this old, scratched demo, paying nearly double the price, and I have no regrets. With The Complete, you can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the music. The NAD isn't a bad amp, but it just has a slightly artificial/dry sound by comparison --just not as musical, for lack of a more detailed description. Also the build quality and cosmetic appearance of The Complete far exceeds anything from NAD, save their expensive Silver Series products. The Complete really looks & feels like a high-end piece. Simply turning the volume knob brings me pleasure ;) Also, since this is for my bedroom system, where I listen at relatively low volumes, I noticed that the NAD didn't sound as even at low volumes, as if you had to turn it up to a minimum threshold before the balance even seemed correct. The Complete, however, seems very linear and smooth, all the way down. It also has nice, metal binding posts, not plastic ones. And there is no perceptible hiss or hum, even if you crank the volume all the way, which I thought was unusually good/quiet; similarly, I could hear NO crosstalk between inputs, even with the volume cranked. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   The Sound Concept

The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings

This is a collection of Styx's first four albums on two CDs. I've considered myself a Styx fan since I was 13-yrs-old and Cornerstone came out. By the time Kilroy Was Here came out, I was going backward in their catalogue...not forward. But the earliest Styx album that I had ever heard up until toda ... Read More »

The Golden Girls complete set

United States of Tara's John Corbett on Season 2 FinaleJohn Corbett a big step to let Max to do that. ... A lot of fans [come up to me] and said, 'Aw, [url=http://www.buyseriesdvd.com/the-golden-girls-season-17-21-dvd-box-set-p-183.html]The Golden Girls complete set[ ... Read More »

Doctor Who (2005): The Complete First Series (Boxed Set)

Well this won't appeal to too many here but what the hell. Note this is not a review because I don’t own a surround system but more of an advert/my take on the new Doctor Who series. The series primary audience is 10-14 year olds (yeah well I’m a big kid). The LONGEST running Science fict ... Read More »

All right, at the risk of exposing myself to complete ridicule...

...I'm going to post photos of the Halloween costume I made. I slapped this apparatus together yesterday for a Halloween-themed bike rally (a "Critical Mass-querade", if you will) and destroyed it this morning. Thus is the ephemeral nature of art. Yes, I could really ride it. You can see a littl ... Read More »

Firefly ---the complete series .... have anyone watch it?

Has anyone watch it and what do you guys think about it? I just got the Firefly --- the completed series yesterday ( Fox aired this about a year ago, and it tanked within one season) . It's pretty good and sometimes pretty funny too, ( just finished the first 2 dvd). Well, the soundtrack ki ... Read More »

TARA LABS: