Audio Note Soro SE Integrated Amplifiers

• 5 Inputs
  • 4 and 8 Ohm Outputs

Submitted by Clement a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought mine second hand. It is one of the presumably 1st series of the 90s (it has an excellent twin ECC83 SRPP phono stage and an ECC82 SRPP line stage, and has input cinch connectors on the left side). While in nice condtion, I thought it needed electrolitic capacitors change after 25 years of performance. I replaced all and tried at the same time to replace modern tubes by NOS ones (6L6G RCA black plate, RCA ECC83, Philips ECC82,...) with a great success as the sound is now very natural with a strong 3 dimensionnal presentation. The phono section is outstanding and justify on itself the purchase of this amp. It is a best choice for vinyl lovers. I use this Soro with both French "Mulidine" or Cabasse "Sampan" speakers (>93dB efficiency) and the Soro drive them very easily. I listen to jazz and rock music, mainly vinyl records, and I tried several both solid states and tube amplifiers from various audiophile brands before and along with the Soro, but I always kept it as it beat them everytime !

Submitted by astroalex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
I owned Audio Note Soro for many years. Recently I made some changes to my hi fi system because I thought the sound was a little "harsh and brittle" and Hornster you are right when you say that: "I suggest very sensitive horn speakers need to be driven with a little subtlety. I now believe more heavy handed amplifiers tend to overdrive some horn designs and make then sound harsh and brittle". I bought a new CD player (Cayin CDT-23), but still, even if the sound had improved, it was not as natural and musical as I expected it. A great benefit I got bi-wiring my speakers Audio Note AN-JL. It is not just a delusion, it really does improve the sound. But still I would like to go beyond and I would like to listen to Audio Note Meishu (300B valves). They say it is really fantastic. Is there anybody who can say something about it?

Submitted by Hornster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Audio Note Soro SE brand new during December 2007. It is a superbly built amplfier that looks classy, yet understated. Unlike most other tube amplifiers on the market at the moment, the Soro does not display it's tubes for all to see - everything is concealed within the amplifier's case. For those that don't know, the Soro is a Class A single-ended line only 18 watt per channel integrated amplifier, with 4 inputs & tape loop. The tubes are made up of 1 x ECC82, 2 x 6SL7, 4 x 5881/6L6G. The MM Phono version adds 1 x ECC83 and 1 x 6DJ8.

So overall, connectivity is good - my particular model has 2 CD inputs. I would have liked a preout, but mine doesn't feature one. I guess it doesn't matter, because my 2 REL Strata 5's are hooked up via the speaker terminals anyway. Speaking of which, the terminals are of very good quality as are the controls on the front panel.

Prior to buying the Soro, I was running my Klipsch Belles with a fairly high quality solid state pre/power amplifier. But after some disatisfaction with the sound I was getting with the Belles, I decided to try the Audio Note at home. After the amplifier was allowed to 'bed in' for a day, I did some serious listening. I was rewarded by a rich and involving sound with a soundstage that stretched beyond the speakers. Top to bottom coherency was outstanding and the centre image was locked solid where it should be. But what really floored me was the bass, How can a 'weak and insipid', lightweight tube amplifier out-perform a 150 plus watts per channel solid state monster? Well it did. In fact the Soro drove the Belles with much more control and authority in every aspect. To top it off, the Belles now had that tube transparency and vibrancy that I was missing. More extended listening confirmed the superiority of the Soro. I decided to keep this little beauty and I have since sold my previous amplifier.

I don't think there is any black magic involved here. The Soro is very well designed and uses high quality components and a very simple signal path. My Belles use the latest crossover from Klipsch and they are rated at 103db sensitivity. I suggest very sensitive horn speakers need to be driven with a little subtlety. I now believe more heavy handed amplifiers tend to overdrive some horn designs and make then sound harsh and brittle. This seemed to be the case with my previous setup.

Prior to the Audio Note, I tried a couple of Chinese built models. They looked the part - exposed tubes and solid wood trim. But each was disappointing in different ways with pretty poor build quality over all if you looked past the flashy trim. Regardless of quality control, the overall sound from both was very ordinary and certainly wasn't an improvement on what I already had. I think there is a question mark over the quality of the transformers. I was thinking that it would be no good tube rolling if the basic quality wasn't there in the first place. The lesson to be learnt here is you get what you pay for. The market is flooded with offshore tube designs. I didn't want to get something ordinary and my speakers deserved the best quality I could afford. Yes, the Soro was expensive - but then so were my Belles.

Submitted by Zalan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Bottom Line:
I think this amplifire is very good for the price. The sound quality is better then some higher level system. I have only one little problem: it was the resistor for hoting the tubes, but after the change it is perfect.

Submitted by harry-harry65 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2007

Bottom Line:

the peugeot 206 has been superb since i bought it 7 years ago. The botom end is absent due to the 1ltr output. The top end does'nt fare much better either, again down to the puny putput. The ride is comfortable and the steering reasonable. Handling is ok and the factory fitted sunroof a relief. I would in future opt for the HD1 for a bit more go and economy.

However, a great first car for sure

Purchased At:   whitehall garage