Arcam A90 Integrated Amplifiers

4.6/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $1799.00

90W x 2 into 8 ohms.

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
Having owned both the A85 and the A90, I can confidently say that they are both exactly the same sound wise. Some say the A85 sounds better, but did they really hear both amps themselves in their own system?

Before the A90, I had many high quality solid state and tube amps, and most recently the Musical Fidelity A300. While is A300 is a very sweet sounding amp with a very tube-like midrange. However I find the overall sound a little too aggressive with my Monitor Audio GX100. The A90 on the other hand retains the very sweet midrange you get from the A300, but has a more relaxing not-in-your-face kind of sound and more body to the bass.

Some reviewers say the A90 is biased towards the warmer side. Even if that is the case, I think it tames bright sounding speakers nicely without giving up anything else. It's one of those amps that will shine even more as you upgrade your speakers. It has the same qualities of a good hybrid amp, projecting a sweet tube-like midrange and the excellent impact of a solid state.

Submitted by azona a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
Very polite and classy suond. Proper amount of detail, good stero image, wonderful sund all over the spectrum with very good bass and midrange, sweet highs, never fatiguing. Very natural with acoustic instruments, produces the best piano I have heard for under 3000 USD. Not the best in terms of dynamic and puch made it not confortable with high energetic fast electric music. Works amazing with classical music and acoustic jazz. Trasparent souirce, internconnects and speaker cables reccomended.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by thymanst a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
The Arcam Diva A90 is a very good performer - I especially like that I can switch everything from the remote(turning a/b speakers on,gain etc.) the bass is very authoritive and clean and the midrange/treble can be magical depending on the speakers used - It wouldnt push my Vandy 2ces very well but with a pair of B&W cdm2 or dm602;s speakers the sound really comes alive - vocals are tube like and smooth - in a medium to small room the amplifier really shines - it has pre outs along with amp in - it also has HT bypass if used with a HT system - its basically the same as the A85(fantastic reviews) with a little more power(bigger power supply)

Purchased At:   locally

Submitted by petenoak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
I certainly agree with the previous comments on audioreview.com. I would add that this unit has plenty of inputs: 6 counting a VCR input and a phono/aux. You'll need to pay extra to make the latter accept magnetic phono cartridge output. It does not have features for dubbing between decks.

My ear says that this amp has a beautiful sound. These things being pretty subjective I still would say that this unit sounds a little mellower than some past solid state amps.

Digital controls now allow for seperate settings for each input.

I give this a high recommendation except for one small but irritating design flaw. See below.

Purchased At:   Music Lovers Audio,

Submitted by aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Arcam A90 to update my Rotel BX 960 (60 watts per channel - circa 1995) to better complement my Dynaudio 2 way bookshelf speakers and Cambridge 500SE CD player I have owned for about 2 years. I was looking for something with a fairly neutral yet powerful sound that could drive the Dynaudios. Being 6 ohms and with very weighty drivers they sound a bit thin with the Rotel. I compared the Arcam to Cambridge and Rotel amps. The Arcam to me sounded the most balanced and cleanest of that group. The Dynaudios have now woken up and sound fantastic. Even my 10 year old Dali 2a Mk II's sound revived! The importance of good amplification has been highlighted me through this aquisition. The Acram goes about its work effortlessly with everything from Eva Cassidy, George Winston to heavy rock. Even my wife (who is not an audio enthusiast commented that she could hear the peddle and key strokes from her George Winston favorites. I would highly recommend this amp for people who like a couple of features (eg. A & B) switches combined with neutral (not to bright / dull) 2 way sound. One thing to note - I upgraded the power supply cable from day 1 (a not unsignifcant AUD$350) but I could tell a noticable difference. I also upgraded the power to my Cambrigde 500SE CD player (another marked improvement to the feeling of airyness - especially for female vocals).

Purchased At:   Tivoli HiFi