Arcam A32 Integrated Amplifier Integrated Amplifiers

4.75/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $2099.00

100 watts per channel

Submitted by Henry Oliver a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
The Arcam A32 is a superb Integrated Amplifier and I would have no hesitation in recommending it.
I use ot with Arcams Power Amp (the P35) and Arcams CD player, CD 36.
My speakers are the Epos ES11 which handle anything the A32/P35 throw at it.
I use Nordost Valhalla speaker and interconnects.
I am more than happy with my present system which produces fantastic imagery, clean precise bass and more than adequate volume when required.
Thanks Arcam, you have done it again !

Henry Oliver

Submitted by williesoon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got the unit at a bargain price new. I was actually deciding between the Musical Fidelity A3.2 and the Arcam FMJ but after some casual listening, i chose the Arcam. Its not that the MF has its shortcomings but the Arcam is slightly smoother and more forgiving compared to the MFs. The MFs are very honest, analytical and clinical it its delivery and to some this might be a strength. But to my ears, the Arcam is smoother and sounds a million dollars. Would get the P35 poweramp too as it made alot of difference. The future upgradibililty potential of the Arcam further gets the nod over the MF. Sheer class. To top it off, i got the matching FMJ CD23T Cd player too. Its a stunner.

Purchased At:   London

Submitted by wenrhuang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I ran into a very good deal on A32, so I purchased one to replace my A85. Before I did it, I had my doubts about if it would be a worthwhile upgrade, as I read so many good reviews on A85, while not as many on A32. Now that I did it, I would say that the answer is yes.

I was told before that A32 and A85 sound similar. It is true according to my experience. However, only after about 80 hours of use, in my opinion the A32 exhibits two important superiorities over A85:
1. A32 sounds more neutral than A85; With A85, my system—which includes Nordost cables and B&W N805, both could be already on the bright side—sounds very clear but a bit too much on the bright side. With A32, the overall sound is more pleasing without loss of clarity.
2. A32 gives a bigger sound stage; deeper and wider than A85.

I am sure there are more improvements in other areas, but the above two are the most noticeable for me. Now for example, A32 generates beautiful piano sound, with better tonal balance, air, and soundstage than those produced by A85. It just sound more like a real piano playing in front of me.

I could not tell very much difference between A32 and A85 in regards to volume level, bass weight, resolution, etc.. However, I definitely do not think A32 is in any area less capable than A85.

Regarding upgrade, I may get a more dramatic result if I added a power amplifier like P85 to my original A85 than what I did now. But I am very happy with the simple set up of A32 with the rest of my system, and the resulting quality of sound.

My system:
Arcam FMJ A32 Integrated
Arcam FMJ CD23
B&W Nautilus 805 Speakers
Nordost Red Dawn II Interconnects
Nordost Blue Heaven II Speaker Cables

Submitted by John99 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been seriously impressed by this amp... the sound it produces compared to my previous amp (a Nad C370) is much, much better. I know the Nad is alot less money and I'm not perhaps being that fair comparing them but even allowing for the price difference it's still managed to impress!

I tried the Nad and FMJ back to back and the FMJ gave a much punchier and more detailed presentation than the Nad which sounded lean by comparison.

Until I tried the Arcam FMJ I would never have thought the Nad could sound 'cheap' - short of spending alot more on an amp than the FMJ.

I have used an Arcam A85 but found it far too bright with my speakers. I also tried a Roksan Caspian which was much nicer but still didn't make me want to go out and change the Nad 370. The FMJ amp and cd was, however, a different story - the sound produced for all types of music was far superior to the Nad setup. Nothing sounds forced at all. You can just sit back and enjoy.

My current system is

Arcam FMJ A32 Amp

Arcam FMJ CD23T cd player

Audioquest 'Slate' speaker cable

LAT IC-100 Mk2 Interconnect.

Previous system

Nad 370 amp

Nad 540 CD player

Cables and interconnect as above.

Submitted by tonya21a a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have demed this unit and felt that whilst it is great on music with bass heavy/ electronic music with more natural music it sounded artificial. I did like the styling however and especially the small display.

TARA LABS: