Antique Sound Lab AQ 1001 DT Integrated Amplifiers

• Line-level subwoofer outputs
  • Tube complement: KT88 output tubes x 4; 12AU7 x 4
  • Inputs: three pairs of gold-plated RCAs
  • Output: 5-way gold-plated heavy duty binding posts
  • Front panel controls: on/off, level, source
  • Detachable IEC-style power cord
  • Chassis finish: Polished steel
  • Front panel finish: Aluminum / Silver Anodizing
  • Fuse: 5A Slow blow

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Julião a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2013

Bottom Line:
    Very nice amplifier and works like a charm with KT-120 instead of KT-88.
    A real giant killer !!!

Submitted by eagertrader a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
    I longed for the "high end" sound without the "high" price, and I found that and then some with the ASL AQ-1001 DT integrated amp.
    I followed the lead from The Positive Feedback reviewers, and replaced the original JJ-12AU7's with RCA tubes for the input section. That made the already excellent sound even more detailed. Later, I replaced all the interconnect cables with Gray Silver pure silver cables. Wow! what a difference. The base got deeper and tighter, and the upper end extended. The tri-dimensionality and texture of the sound is incredible, especially for the price. The space between the instuments (or "air" as some define it) is very palpable.
    I listen to the ASL in Triode mode at 29 watts per channel (instead of the 50 watts in Pentode mode). For classical music I feel is much more detailed and "realistic".
    Don't let the low wattage fool you. This amp at 29 watts has more substance and impact through my Dali Grands floorstanders than a pair of B&K 200 watts monoblocks. Need I say more?
    My next stop is to replace the original JJ KT-88's with either Telefunken, Mullard or Sovtek KT-88's tubes for the output section, and the stock power cables for the ASL and the sources with audiophile grade ones. That should get me even closer to "audio nirvana".

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by sound67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
    Very nice integrated tube amplifier, powerful enough to drive even inefficient speakers. Punchy, detailed sound.

I bought this tube amplifier three weeks ago. When I first turned it on, it was quite a shock: bathtub sound. No differentiation, no bass, nothing. Knowing that new tube amps need a run-in period, I let it play for three consecutive days.

After that, it sounded great. Warm, but detailed. Natural, with a great bass punch I did not expect from a tube amplifier. I found out that for my KEF Reference speakers, using the 4ohm connectors resulted in a noticeable improvement of sound (even though the speakers themselves have a nominal impedance of 6ohms).

What surprised me most is how easily the Antique Sound Labs drove my rather inefficient (89 db sensitivity) KEF speakers even in the triode mode (29 watts RMS per channel). In penthode operation it has 2 x 50watts, but sounds much less open. Great.

Previously, I had several transistor and tube/transistor hybrid amps. The latest, a ASR Emitter transistor amp, which costs in excess of US$6,000 new, did not sound better than this US$1,500 tube amp, the Antique Sound Lab even has more dramatic power.

Great budget-priced gear. I did exchange the Chinese pre-amp 12AU7 tubes with new Slowakian JJ (formerly Tesla) ECC82 tubes, which mellowed the sound a bit. I left the Valve Art KT88 in place.

Purchased At:   local hifi dealer