Anthem Integrated-225 Integrated Amplifiers

3.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Phono input, front panel input for portable music players, 225 continuous watts per channel into 8 ohms, 4-ohm capability.

Submitted by dld a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2015

Bottom Line:
I was perusing the Anthem's reviews and while I'm sure the negative posters truly believed what they said, I'm gonna say, IMHO, those attributes flat don't exist, at least in my setup.

One review stated there was no phantom center sound. Yesterday, before I even read that review, I had a friend over, purposely sat him on a stool, eat ear level with the tweeters on my PSB Synchrony IIs, and asked him what speaker the vocalist's voice was coming from. In addition to those stereo speakers, I also have wall mounted Front Left and Right, and center channel speaker for my Home Theater system. The center channel speaker was right in front of him, about 6 feet away.

He swore up and down the male vocals were coming from the center speaker and literally didn't believe me when I said the PSBs were the only speakers on. Friends, the imaging is that freekin good. Another poster described the Anthem as "bass heavy". All I can say is wuhhhh???? Bass depends so MUCH on speakers, speaker placement, source material, etc.. I can only say it's full and reproduced correctly.

This integrated is a winner I recommend with zero reservations on audio boreds when the subject comes up.

Submitted by Michael a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
I was not given the option for the 2014 model year, for some reason it stops at 2010. I am always dubious of people posing as self described "audiophiles" on this site. In truth, there are none who exhibit the correct methodology in reviewing a piece of gear. Anthem IS Sonic Frontiers...albeit in a different incarnation. I have to laugh at the poster...or poser who gave this amp a negative review after only having it a month. Break in is a reality, especially in speakers. A high power audio amp, or an amp-preamp driven by tubes also needs quite a bit of break in, well more then a months listening would offer. The 225 requires top flite equipment to really shine, sorry, but paradigm studio 100s just don't cut it. While this integrated simply couldn't match my Rogue Pharaoh integrated in blackness and sublime detail it did indeed come very close. The Rogue is $2000.00 more expensive. Both the Rogue and 225 had it where it was at in the power category, tight controlled bass, detail, and great headroom, which is the main reason you buy power; unless you are running highly inefficient speakers like Maggies. This is an absolutely fine integrated, in fact, even at it's 2014 price of $1795.00 it might be a crime to buy it, it is that much of a steal.

Perhaps it was the previous amp source that was flawed in the systems spoken of in the previous reviews. After all, as you settle in to your amps signature or sound, along with a potentially flawed source ( all are flawed in some way), it is what you become accustomed to, flaws become normal to your ears, and listening for less than a month is a non-starter. The 225 does not add to music reproduction, it simply passes on to the loudspeakers what the source is feeding it. This is an excellent integrated that Anthem doesn't feel needs to be be tweaked and reintroduced every few years to increase their profit line. My system includes the Rogue Pharaoh, United Home Audio reel to reel, Sony HAPZ-1ES, Odyssey Audio Kismet reference loudspeakers, Darwin Audio cabling with Audience power sourcing coming from a Porter Ports outlet.

Submitted by Gary a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
I just bought this gear with warranty so I can return it if I like. Very strong and clear to me. Negative reviews must be due to a system mismatch. I've been around audio for a few years and it's a fine sounding integrated to me. I bought it to simplify my setup . It's replacing a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp and Monarchy monoblocks. I use Musical a Fidelity CD player and Technics sl1200 mk2 Turntable. Speakers are Monitor Audio, Usher, and Sonus Faber.

Don't let the bad reviews scare you, buy it and give it a whirl. If you don't like it- pack it up and take it back.

Enjoy!

Submitted by agree with dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I would agree with Dave… I bought this to have a little boost in power for speaker upgrade I was planning. I could not believe how much it changed the sound of my Paradigm Studio 100 v5. For the worse. My general TV watching pioneer receiver sounds better.

Submitted by What? I couldn't hear you a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2012

Bottom Line:
I really don't have a clue what Dave's complaints are all about. My experience has been 100% the opposite. I think Dave had a bad day or the integrated amp didn't pair well with his system. I have an Anthem 225 paired with Paradigm Reference Studio/80 .v2 speakers. This integrated amp was such an improvement over my last amp, that my wife who doesn't care about stereo equipment, when she first heard the amp said "whoa, didn't know an amp could make such a big difference."

Clean, well articulated. Sound stage is full and realistic.. Yes, a good punch to the bass but its in balance with the mid and high ends. Anyone who doesn't have 5 grand to throw at an amp will love it and then be laughing at all those who spent significantly more with little or more to show for it. Pairs well with speakers that tend to be a bit bright.

MS 1400W: