Accuphase E-206 Integrated Amplifiers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $2350.00

Submitted by Vasily a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2013

Bottom Line:
By the time I first looked at this amp, I've walked a long road on my search of the best amp. It all started in November 2012 when I changed my good old Kenwood receiver for a used Rotel RA-972 back from the nineties. It simply blew Kenwood away. Then I looked for an amp with a built-it DAC, because I wanted to plug in CD and PC directly and see if it worth a try. It wasn't with Rotel RA-12, the newly marketed amp. It made me feel that Rotel has lost grip as a manufacturer of good sounding products. RA-12 is a mess. Then I looked at NAD 304, built 1994 and highly praised ever since. Not bad it was, indeed. But I wanted more and felt unsatisfied - I wanted to buy a good amp and stop my quest, at least for a couple of years, after changing 3 amps in less than a year. Accuphase E-206 was highly recommended. Why Accuphase? First, NO Accuphase sounds bad. Secondly, all these guys are built like tanks to last seemingly a few decades, not less. Third, Accuphase doesn't produce cheap amps - that's a good sign.
When I listened for E-206, it was a real revelation to me. All that I had been looking for was there - good speed, solid bass, open vocals and crispy highs with a lot of detail. The overall sound character is smooth with a little emphasis on treble. It is almost "tube-like", for a lack of a better comparison. Again, the amount of detail this fella brings to you is just amasing!
As for construction, it leaves no doubt - this is a killing machine. 18 kilos of japanese engineering, front panel is almost 1 cm thick, all major knobs are metallic, binding post for speakers can accept very thick cables, if needed.
My E-206 is most likely built in 1989 and it's in perfect running condition - everithing works as a Swiss watch with no signs of aging whatsoever. For 1000 USD it was a good bargain. I'm very satisfied with this amp. If you ever see one for less than 1000 USD and it's in perfect comdition - buy it on the spot with no doubt! Even if you already have something comparable, you'll be able to resell it with no problem.

Submitted by Ivan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
This was the Accuphase product I bought and made me poisoned as a hardcored Accuphase follower. This amp is analytical, fast, clean, good control on low and high, warm and open mids and highs. Though it was Accuphase's lowest model, it never falls short of Accuphase's trademark: airy, a bit sweet, smooth yet powerful. The listerning room will get a full house of airy feeling (live music feeling) whenever a record is being played thru this amp.

Its sonic character is, to some people, relatively on the bright side, due to its analyticality. It therefore needs right matching of equipments. A decent CD player is a must as it will reveal all the deficiency of the front end source. The best match is of course Accuphase's own CD player. With right matching, it is good for producing all kinds of music with the best at vocals, classic, pop/rock, jazz, chamber.

I used to turn it up for 8-10 hours a day to the max loud level. It only goes warm but never sweat and all the time in good order. It is a very reliable machine that builds to last and has been over-engineered comparing to other brands' stuff

Purchased At:   HK

Submitted by Peter L Coolsma a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Having lusted for this magnificent beast for a decade or so, I've finally made my dream come true and bought an E-206.
The Rotel it replaces was a winner in its own right but at a much lower price-point.

Having grown so accustomed to the Rotel's sound, and having had a hard time imagining what the Accuphase could do to better it; once hooked-up, I was immediately struck by the Accuphase's much bigger dynamics, greater openness and ability to reveal details.
Regarding bass-reproduction, it really opened up something like an entire extra octave! I use an early Rega P3-Linn Basik LV/X-Dynavector Karat Ruby combo and a Denon DCD-1420 -kindof vintage stuff by now but still very capable: Just HOW capable has only now become clear.

My Rogers LS 3/5a's almost sounded relieved, like "Phew... Finally we get the big power-supplier we needed!"
They're only now revealing their capabilities in the lower octaves, whereas I had long accepted they just did'nt have any. They proved me wrong!

My Stax Lambda headphones also revealed that recordings which always were a bit tiresome to listen to, aren't so bad after all -the Rotel just didn't have the upper-high smoothness needed here.

Having been manufactured in the standard champagne-gold AND in black; with a little persistence and patience, you'll be able to find one in the colour you prefer. I personally feel an Accuphase should be champagne, so that's what I got.

BTW; on the Accuphase-site, you'll find a comprehensive list of all products they've ever made, including their technical specs.

So... It's a winner! Especially when you take in account the current E-212's retail-price... PLUS its -by now non-standard- phono-stage.

Purchased At:   DV Audio, Leeuwarden

Submitted by Capricorn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
The one and only!!

Since the first tests (It´snow 7 years ago) with this Amp I changed my religion to Accuphase.
Absolute invincible in this price class.
I expected a lot and received a lot more!

Purchased At:   tonus high end store

Submitted by Tobias Sjödin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love this amp, it make my Cervin - Vega d 9-e rock like hell. The only thing I dont like with this amp is that my neigbours kidds cant sleep. If you want power in your system then accuphase is the amp for you.