Accuphase E-202 Integrated Amplifiers

Submitted by John Sterling a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
In 1974 I lost everything I owned in an apartment fire started by my downstairs neighbor leaving a pot on the stove. Luckily, no one was injured but the small complex was 1/3 destroyed. I was 23 and watched helplessly outside on the street in the rain with my neighbors the day after Christmas as my still smoking couch and most other possessions were tossed from my balcony into the pool below by the firemen.

Bought the E-202 at Lawrence Stereo in Birmingham, AL with some of the insurance money and have used the E-202 continuously ever since. Not one problem ever. Had the unit cleaned and inspected once fifteen years ago.

A little more than ten years ago we built a home and included a whole house speaker system. The audio folks wanted to include a new amp, but as I am a good part Scot I suggested we wait to see if the E-202 could handle it all. Glad I did.

This amp drives five sets of speakers simultaneously with no sweat. Long time friends who used to make fun of my "retro stereo system" stopped long ago. No matter what the music (or Alabama football game radio broadcasts) the sound is incredible. You cannot use all the power and every part of the sound spectrum is crystal clear. Looks cool, too.

Yesterday I brought out a Marantz ST-400 tuner I got along with the E-202 and wired it into the amp. I was pleasantly surprised at the sound and it got me to thinking about how long I had had these things. This morning I googled the E-202 and found your site and the many interesting reviews. Thought I would share my experience.

I lucked into my E-202. I knew and still know little about the unit. It is better to be lucky than good, I guess. The guys at Lawrence Stereo did me right. They had much more expensive gear, but respected my budget.

I was told the Kensonic company spun off from Kenwood and the design team was run by a guy from Kenwood and included people from Luxman, Marantz and maybe MacIntosh. Whatever, they knew what they were doing.

That fire was the best thing that ever happened to my ears.

Submitted by Alex a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
There is little I can add to so many reviews but since I have been using one of these for at least 4 years or more I thought I'll add my bit.

I've paid about $400 for it and it was money well spent. Great amp, built like a tank and it sounds great. I am sure that to surpass the sound quality of this one I would have to spend two to three times my $400. I believe it was built in 1976 most amps of that time tend to have a noisy phono stage, this one is as quiet as it can be and the sound is top quality. Hasn't got MC input but if you don't need to listen very loud there is suficient power for what I consider a reasonable level with MC. I have recently bought a black cube phono stage (cost me more than double the whole amp) and is better than the one included in this amp but despite that the phono stage of the accuphase has nothing to be ashamed of.

It seems the most common problems are very noisy/crackling volume pots, mine is perfect but I often read about it on the descriptions of the ones for sale.

To wrap it up: a 1970's amp that will squash a lot of new amps (and at a fraction of their cost).
If you find one in good condition is unlikely to disapoint you.

Submitted by pinchechris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
just thought I would add to the already impressive 5 star rating with almost 20 reviews (almost unheard of in these forums). I'm waiting to hear from someone who doesn't like this amplifier. This is truly an amazing piece, especially considering it was built 30 years ago. The thing I can't get over is the build quality. All the electronics are wired onto removable pc boards making them extremely easy to work on/repair. The volume knob has such a pleasing weight to it and it feels as though it's gliding when adjusted. I've noticed (as other people have already stated) that opposed to sounding "warm" it's very clear and transparent. The sound it produces is extremely accurate, not over complimentary like my dear and beloved Marantz pieces.

When I originally brought this thing home (found on craigslist for $50.......yes I finally have my own fairy tale barn-find story!) I wasn't sure how much I I liked it. I had it paired with B&W DM602 speakers and it was a bit bright and tinny. When I brought down the NHT superzeros from the office I was much happier. Add a velodyne sub and I was thoroughly blown away. *read the reviews on those superzero's. Absolutely incredible speakers when paired with a quality sub* Those B&W's sound great with the Mcintosh and Marantz vintage amps that tend to be warmer. They have a boosted high that sounds great with some amps, too much with others.

Anyway, I'm ranting so I'll quit. Really fun amp to own, I will never get rid of this piece. For the price these go for on ebay (rarely over $500) they are a steal. It would cost thousands to get this kind of sound and quality in a modern amplifier.

Submitted by MorePower7701 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a really great peice of audio equipment. I bought mine for a some what low price, because it needed work. These are very easy to rebuild, the circuit board unplug, so replacing componates are much easier. I replaced about 80% of the electronic componates, and yes parts have gotten better. If you are about to get one of these of a decent price, electronic parts, capacitors, transistors , resistors and so on have gotten much better than what was used 30+ years ago. One of these with a quality rebuild is something great, I have not seen anything $$$ for $$$ that can match the performance.

Purchased At:   auction

Submitted by william_blair a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp after a great deal of consideration in 1974. My previous system had been stolen so I was starting from new.
I first looked at a McIntosh integrated transistor amp which put out 70 watts per channel ( I can't remember the model) and a pair of KEF 104 speakers. I then went to another store where the owner showed me the E-202 which he highly recommended. It was cheaper then the McIntosh and also had a considerably better power output rating. However, I still had not decided on speakers.
While the KEFs were not bad, I was not entirely satisfied with their performance given their relatively high price. So I listened to a number of other speakers and narrowed it down to 2 models: the AR LST and the Dynaco A-50. I found the LSTs to be similar to the Dynacos except for the bass respense which was a little lower. However, LSTs needed more power than the E-202 could produce to really drive them properly.
After further consideration I went with the Accuphase and the Dynacos. The Dynacos are great speakers and are perfectly matched to the E-202s, being rated at 100 watts at 8 ohms. Their only drawback is the mediocre finish and perhaps a lack of prestige associated with the Dynaco name.
It has now been 33 years and I'm still using the same combination. The Accuphase has been bulletproof except for the relay going about 15 years ago. The Dynacos still sound as good as when I bought them but have been banged around a bit resulting in a few scratches - something that would be a little more upsetting with a better finished set of speakers. In any case the E-202 has been entirely satisfactory. It has lots of guts and allows me to play my classical music as loudly as I want without a problem - especially when the neighbours have a loud party next door. Shostakovich never sounded better!

Premier Mounts: