Yarland FV-34CIII Amplifiers

Rated Output Power THD: 10w/5%
Weight: 9 kgs

Submitted by NickT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've just taken delivery of my first foray into the world of tube/valve amps - a Yarland FV34c III. This is a relatively inexpensive 2 x 10w tube amp from China, where the majority of tube amps seem to be made nowadays.

My current amp is a Quad 306 which is old but no slouch. I wasn't expecting a massive improvement with a new but cheap, valve amp - I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

I wired it up, switched it on and grabbed a handful of albums that I've been listening to for years (or decades in some cases) so I know them inside out.
Listening selection for this first session:
Kate Bush, Hounds of Love
Marillion, Misplaced Childhood
Metallica, Master of Puppets
John Rutter, Requiem (reference recordings version)
Gladiator soundtrack
Sheffield Lab, Sheffield Drive

Vinyl purists can feel free to throw rotten fruit at me as most of these were CD's; proper vinyl mania will follow in due course.

First impressions? I'm impressed! There is definitely a different but very likeable sound with this amp. OK the midrange/vocal area may be slightly laid back compared to the Quad; and perhaps it lags just a little on the faster metal material, but the overall sound is just so easy to listen to.

Now my initial idea was a couple of tracks off each album, just for a test.
First up was Metallica, MOP - by the time I got to 'Disposable Heroes' I knew I had to force myself off the sofa and change the CD or I'd just have to listen to the entire disc! It was that comfortable.
Side 1 of Misplaced Childhood came and went in a flash, as did all of Hounds of Love. This is just too nice...
Sheffield Drive was an excellent test of dynamics, and to my ears the little Yarland passed admirably. Finally John Rutters Requiem and the Gladiator soundtrack are just beautiful pieces of music that suck you in and don't let go. Again I had to deliberately tear myself away to skip tracks and change albums.

In summary, why are valve amps so easy to listen to? I don't know yet, but if this little Yarland is anything to go by, I think I'm a convert.

Product model year:   2008