Yamaha P4500 Amplifiers

The P4500 series provides the user with excellent cost per watt value, building on that cost performance with efficient power consumption. Utilizing Yamaha's EEEngine technology, these amplifiers deliver outstanding sound quality with remarkable efficiency. All of this power and performance comes in a compact 2-space rack-mount size that makes installation and transport easy. If you need transparent amplification with excellent reliability and superior performance, give the new P3200 a close look.

Submitted by Mike Parenteau a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
Solid if not exciting performance. Good power for pro audio applications which is the original design intent of this model. I use it as a PA mains amp for 5 pc. jazz group. The first time I used it (one channel mono mains and the other for foldback monitors) our pianist/vocalist remarked how she could really hear herself for the first time and that it helped her performance.

I A/B'd the P4500 in my home stereo system (Arcam FMJ CD36 / VTL TL w.5 tube preamp and Linn Keilidh 2-way floorstanders) vs. my Bryston 3BSST. No, it wasn't as detailed as the Bryston. There was just a bit of haze compared to the open and transparent sound of the Bryston BUT it was clean, unfatiguing, and had very good drive in the bottom end.

For what I paid, absolutely no complaints whatsoever. I'm looking for another now. A solid, excellent choice for PA or for hometheater.

It smokes the Behringer power amp we use at church.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Steve Burak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is Yamaha's top model of the p series power amps. Let me stress the word power! 460wpc @ 8ohms. 1440watts bridged into 8! I'd used this amplifier both as stereo 8 and for a 4 ohm sub. It had no problems driving a 4 ohm cab bridged. The stereo mode ran my 2 W-horn PA cabinets, each with a 15" and Horn tweeter, the sound power delivered from these 2 spakers is incrediable. The power that this amp puts out is evident in the air around the speakers, you can feel not only bass, but higher frewuencies as well. I've never been in a room where with a sigher spl than this!! good job yamaha!

Purchased At:   EK Sound, Calgary