Yamaha MX-1 Amplifiers

Submitted by Mark Levis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
This amplifier is the best in the sub 2000$ range. Very clean and powerful sound!!!

Submitted by AudioArntsen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
Definitely one of the best amps I've heard in the price range <2000€

I paid ~370€ (2010) and I'm very satisfied with my MX-1. It's married to an old-school NAD 1300 preamplifier and the sound is warm, crispy and very detailed. There is virtually NO noise or distortion. The MX-1 just needs to warm up to working temperature, half an hour or so, and the sound is really hi-end, no less. No matter how hard you push it, it never gets warmer. Due to bad crossovers and poor speaker placement I'm not in position to comment on the sound stage imaging capabilities, but I think it sounds very focused.

The MX-1 is a very powerful dual-mono amplifier capable of delivering more than 1200W for a short period, being stable below 2 ohm. It's capable of driving very large speakers. I would recommend it to anyone looking for less then av Electrocompaniet NEMO. I agree with people calling it a "rare whale". Anyone already owning one should hesitate buying a second one if they can.

Not sure about

Submitted by marty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
I love this amp Its driveing a set of MTX tower speakers with Dual 12in woofer per speaker. The sound quality id AWESOME and is very loud and clean. I want to get a few more as for my surround sound. Over kill I know but you cant go wrong with then. Very hard to find for sale because they are so awesome.

Submitted by skiskort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have 2 of these in a bi amped configuraton and could not be happier! For the money you cannot beat the MX-1, it is by far better than any other solid state amp I have heard in same price range.....heck it may well be better than others costing 2-3 times as much! I could not be happier with the warm sounding/running (never hot) power of this amp from the slab cracking bass to the stellar highs!...never harsh, just musical, I will never get rid of them! Please don't drop them as they'll go through your floor! about 55 lbs. Solid build.

Submitted by SoundsPro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2005

Bottom Line:
After reading about the Yamaha MX-1 amps, I bought two to use as "monoblocks" to run with B&W 802's. By bi-amping the two channels of each amp to the bi-wired connection of each speaker I figured that there would be ample power. I was not dissappointed! In fact I was delighted at the power/performance of these wonderfully built units. Tireless, neutral and beautifully understated. I now also use a Yamaha RX-V2500 as a pre-amp for these (in Direct mode) and as a HT systems for the other channels for movies. Best of both worlds.

I recently saw and heard the new Yamaha MDX-1 and was also very impressed, but at $A8,000, I guess I should have been. The older MX-1's are one of the best value amps on the market - if you see one for sale Buy It!

Purchased At:   Melbourne