Yamaha M-85 Amplifiers

Yamaha M-85 Natural Sound Power Amplifier

Submitted by Ron a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2016

Bottom Line:

I'm very please with the M-85 amp. It sounds amazing and looks like it's right out of the factory. I have been missing the details this amp is putting out now. Skip can work magic with these Yamaha amps, quite the master restoration man. The workmanship is flawless and was impress with the shipping and the communication between the shop and customer. I have another Yamaha Amp, M-60 that has a date with the yammyman in august, Can't wait to send it off. You get what you pay for at Legendary Amps, A+ on this guy.

Ron

Submitted by Tim Reeves a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2015

Bottom Line:
I recently received my completely restored M-85 amp from LegendaryAmps.com and immediately hooked it up. I am using an Anthem 225 integrated amp as my pre-amp where I have a Rega P-2 turntable and an NAD T557 CD player hooked up to the Anthem. I use the M-85 amp to drive a single pair of JBL 250TI speakers. I have to say that as I unpacked the amp I was thinking to myself that I hope this was worth it and did have a few doubts...until I started playing some music.

I have been listening to my favorite CD's and albums for days and I can confidently state that the cost I paid for refurbishing my M-85 was worth every dime! I am hearing sounds out of this set up that I don't believe I have ever heard before. The music is crisp, warm and robust. It's as if I have a "3 dimensional" sound with a perfect blending of percussion, guitar, and vocals. I was listening to a Level 42 CD and I kept hearing what I thought was some sort of low pitched clicking sound that was playing along with the music, detail that just wasn’t there before. Truly amazing and the best money I have spent in years! I want to thank the team at LegendaryAmps.com for their professionalism in all steps along the way, and commend Skip on the exceptional skill no doubt applied in refurbishing my M-85 amp to a brand new condition. The M-85 looks like a million bucks and sounds like 2 million!

Submitted by James D Schwebel a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2015

Bottom Line:
In 1989 I bought an M-85 and C85. Hooked up a set of Klipsch Forte speakers and started an audio experience. After 26 of navel service dragging my M85 and C85 all over the world I retired and moved home. Back in 2008 the left channel went out. I took my M85 to a local repair shop and after 6 months was told that it could not be fixed. In all my worldly travels I heard nothing better. I turned to EBAY and bought an M80. I retired my M85 to the hallway closet Years later my system started to produce a hum and became unusable. I stared searching the web to see if I can find someone to bring my Yamaha back to life. I found LegendaryAmp. After many months researching buying new or restoring I decided to take a chance in restoring my M80. Skip called debrief me on the repairs. Received the M80 hooked it up to my C85 and was blown away. I had forgotten how great this bad boy sounded. Without hesitation I scheduled a date and had the C85 restored. During this time I was in conversation with Skip on restoring the M85 that was forgotten about in the hall closet. I decided to send the M85 restore. I am glad that I did I have the M85 and C85 hooked up to a set of Klipsch RF-82 speakers. I am going to give my son the M80. The wife is happy that this is in the basement It did not take long to figure out that it’s not a good idea to have shelf’s on the wall. If you want to restore your Yamaha look no farther. LegendaryAmp is the place!!!

Submitted by MR X a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2015

Bottom Line:
This amp has more power than a demented dictator! It will drive any speaker with finesse and authority. In the past years 35 I have had a shameful number of amps, well over a hundred; Krell, Jeff Rowland, Proceed, Levinson, Classe', Plinius, Adcom, Carver,Linn,Creek, Parasound, CJ, AMC, Audio Research, B&K, Dynaco Hafler, Marantz, NAD, Quicksilver, Sim Audio, Sunfire, Aragon, Acurus, Naim, Harman Kardon, and PS Audio. The reason for the list is to say this: All these amps have nothing special on the Yamaha M85! There might be different signatures and thousands more in price but nothing special that beats this amp out. You can listen for hours with not a hint of fatigue. The bass is tight powerful, drums sound like drums. The voices are pure and natural. Guitars sound like guitars and cymbals decay and have a crispness that makes them sound natural and believable. The downside is the amp can second as a space heater! It must be ventilated or a couple of fans installed. The speaker terminals are a nightmare, and it appears to be mandatory that sometime during your ownership, they break! You can listen to any genre and it will deliver a full and wide soundstage that goes beyond your speakers. I have a pair of KEF 104/3 and a Dynaco CD2 cd player and the synergy makes for nothing but pure beautiful music. Some people concern themselves with stats on the amps: dynamic distortion, headroom and all the other technical yada yada, but the proof is in the pudding! I purchased this baby at the swap meet for $250 and I have never been happier! I plan to have the speaker connections replaced, install a couple of fans and alter it so it be used for detachable cords. Anyone reading this be sure and do not hesitate to buy one of the opportunity presents itself. You owe it to your ears. This amp is in the hall of "Legendary Amps" for a reason. Get one and let the eargasms begin!

Submitted by Brad K a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2013

Bottom Line:
After 26 or so years of dragging my M 85 all over the world I guess I forgot how fantastic my M-85 sounded when new. I have just been reminded and have been listening to music all over again since unpacking my amp a few weeks ago after being restored by LegendaryAmps. Actually sitting and listening, it's that good. While it looks brand new, I think it may actually sound better than new coupled with the new speakers I purchased a few years ago. Last week an old buddy of mine that was thinking about purchasing home audio equipment again after twenty years or so stopped by to listen to my system. A few days later, he purchased a M-85 amp off eBay and is building a system... just like mine, the ultimate compliment. I did not hesitate in recommending LegendaryAmps. I cannot say enough about LegendaryAmps and their crew for the quality work and patience in answering all my questions. This is the first time I have gone through the process of restoration for a piece of equipment and couldn't be any happier. I am looking forward to sending LegendaryAmps my C-85 preamp for some well deserved TLC. BK. Eugene, Oregon, 8/6/2

Sennheiser: