Yamaha M-80 Power Amplifier Amplifiers

4.92/5 (12 Reviews)

250 watts continuous per channel power amplifier

Submitted by James J a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
Had the good fortune to buy one of these new in 85, had it stolen a few years later, ( not so good luck) and finally replaced it. I haven't spent tons of time on amps and comparisons but I am pitch perfect and I know what sounds right. This amp delivers in spades. It is certainly capable of reproducing LIVE quality sound , if the rest of your system is up to it. I've attended upwards of 500 live shows, ( not including the local venues) and know what the "bar" is, and have aimed and succeeded to duplicate it in the home environment.
I was using the old receivers amp for year after my M80 got stolen. It did an ok job but certainly wasn't the same. I was still winning blast wars with the bar next door however, after 20 years of going without I purchased another one. It was like night and day. Suddenly all the things that were covered in mud or just plain not there came through again. Over night my EQ, which was doing major duty pumping frequencies that were faded, suddenly was reset to almost no boost at all. The clarity was back and the tight low end - kick you in the chest- punch was back. It was heaven... or so I thought. Having this back in my possession and realizing what I was missing, made me vow never to lose it again. SO off the the master restorers out at Legendary Amps it went. Good thing too because as it worked out- the old girl was running on borrowed time. Between the purchase price and getting it rebuilt was about $1700. A little pricey, but worth every penny. If you've been to the top of the mountain you just can't go back...you just can't. This unit was running on the grace of god when it arrived at Skips facility and the tear down photos showed how good these units were built. Blown chucks out of the mother board and it was STILL RUNNING Strong-- but not for much longer. Thankfully no irreparable harm was done and it was welcomed back with much anticipation. To my surprise the sound now surpassed what I started with, and Skip said it would get better in time as it burned in. Yeah.. ok..Uh Huh. Sure. Well be damned if he wasn't spot on again. I listen to most everything from Blues, Hard Rock, some Pop, Alternative, Fusion, Smooth Jazz. Each one is faithfully reproduced and this amp does it perfectly whether the volume is low background or concert level duplication of AC/DC LIVE at Donnigton. You are THERE. Could not be done without an amp of this quality and performance. Per dollar spent these are the far away best choice. Thanks To Yamaha for building it and Thanks to Legendary Amps for keeping them kicking.

Submitted by Eric Billington a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
I just recently had my Yamaha M80 restored by LegendaryAmps.
Everything about my experience was exceptional. As I sit here
absolutely cranking Jonny Lang "Touch" with what seems to be unlimited
headroom, all I can say is WOW!!! My restoration was worth every
penny. I sent my M80 to LegendayAmps in seriously bad shape as I was
the second owner. What I received in return was a pristine and
perfectly restored MONSTER AMPLIFIER!!!! After using the "Room EQ"
feature on the Denon AVR-3805 my system sounds fantastic. The Yamaha
M80 has added the raw power I've been missing, as well as a whole new
level of detail! If you own one of these amplifiers don't hesitate to
send it to LegendaryAmps. They will do right by you.
Eric R Billington 2013
My system consists of: Denon AVR-3805 as my preamp; Denon DVD-3910;
Denon POA-5000 amp; for my center and rears. Yamaha M80 amp for my
fronts. "WAHOO!!!" :-D. Monster HTS-5100 Power center; B&W DM-110i
front speakers; Paradigm Mini Monitors rear speakers;
Polk Audio CS-i30 center channel speaker; REL R-205 Sub wired through
speakon connector to the front speaker high level inputs; Paradigm
Reference Series Servo-15a 15" sub running off the LFE out.

Submitted by Chad Paul a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have to admit that I felt like I was taking a risk to invest as much as I did in the repair/rehabilitation of my Yamaha M-80 Power amp. After all, how good could an amp from the 80’s really sound when I could have just as easily purchased a new amp? I am happy to report that I couldn’t be more pleased with LegandaryAmps’ work, and the exquisite natural sound that now emanates from my speakers! I am hearing details in recordings that I haven’t heard in many years. Staying up late just to listen to my favorite music has become my new favorite pass-time! I can’t thank LegendaryAmps enough for providing this service. It’s hard to believe that I actually thought about junking this amp when the Protection lamp appeared. Luckily, I found the LegendaryAmps.com website and made the investment. I am happy to provide a reference for anyone who doubts the value that Skip and his team provide

Submitted by Mike B a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
I purchased in March 1985 Yamaha M-80 Power Amp, C-80 Control Amp and T-80 Tuner. I have searched endlessly for that one audio engineer who has a vision, a perfectionist and shares my passion for the muscle of Yamaha M-80 Amp, my search happily ended with LegendaryAmps. After speaking with Skip, I quickly realized that I have hit the jackpot, a one in a million shot, someone who exemplifies an "old school" philosophy, extremely knowledgeable and yes, a detailed plan for a complete off the frame restoration and execution. When I received my M-80 Amp back and visually inspected it then put on line the results far exceeded my expectation, I was blown away. My M-80 Amps audio quality is pitch perfect and the 250 watts of Yamaha muscle is available again with no distortion, and the frame looks better than the day of purchase, it rocks. I decided to look for another Yamaha M-80 and C-80 to give to my son, then shipped it ASAP to LegendaryAmps. The restoration performed on both Yamaha M-80 Power Amps by LegendaryAmps can only be described as "Magical". Thanks Skip, I now have 2 Classic 57 Chevy's. Who's got it better than me!!! Semper Fi Mike B. 5/2013

Submitted by J Weaver a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2013

Bottom Line:

Repair or buy a new amplifier? I am sure that everyone goes through this question. I spent a few weeks listening to Bryston. VTL, Marantz, Ayre, Yamaha and others (tube and digital). Comparing new amplifiers can be difficult, trying to categorize quality, clarity, range, spatial vibrance, spatial separation, etc. I evaluated the different amplifiers over a wide range of music from classical, rock, new age, pure piano and jazz. Personally, I liked the quality of the Ayre V5xe. The downside of this process was the reality that it would cost me $3600 - $5000. The decision to have the Yamaha M-80 rebuilt was fairly easy after reading through all customer reviews for Legendary Amps. The team at Legendary Amps did a great job. Roughly 4 weeks door-to-door and the amplifier arrived in "like new" condition. The quality of work and communications of the Legendary Amps team is outstanding.

The amp produced sounds that I simply could not hear before the repair. After getting crossovers re-balanced (a terribly subjective process), I started again, listening...listening...and listening. A few examples: 1) Listening to pure piano music, it is as if you are standing in front of the piano, hearing the spatial response of each note and at times sensing some 1st order harmonics. 2) Spatial separation to me, is the ability to place the instruments on the imaginary canvas in front of you. This amp gives you get the clarity of each instrument, in addition to the spatial placement. Simply no smudging of the notes, the amplifier just is simply outstanding capturing the full experience of the orchestra.

I could go on for a long time describing the new found pleasure in listening to my music collection. The net of this is: amplifiers age and the failure was only the trigger to do something about it. If you have an aging amplifier, talk to Skip about getting it rebuilt before it fails, you will not be disappointed.

Where does my M-80 place after listening to all these other amps? Will I be going out to buy the Ayre V5xe? No! The Yamaha M-80 is at the top of my list, and my system sounds on par with the best of the amplifiers that I evaluated and I am a very happy customer.

J Weaver, Central Virginia 3/30/2013