Yamaha M-80 Power Amplifier Amplifiers

4.93/5 (14 Reviews)

250 watts continuous per channel power amplifier

Submitted by Jimi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
Back in business.
I bought one of these amps when I was stationed in West Germany in 85 along with the rest of my system. It was promptly stolen ( with my reel to reel) by the moving crew when I came back to the states. I went many years on just the receiver amp but knew the sound was not the same, but I was young and had other things on my mind . Well two years ago I bought a used M80 off of a auction site and set up a restoration slot with Skip and the crew at Legendary Amps. For the 2K I spent total I couldn't be happier. I wanted to wait a year to see how well the restoration took...it is PHENOMENAL!!! I'm no high brow, wine sipping, silk shirt type. I like my Hard Rock LOUD and CLEAR and I want it to kick my a$$ on demand.. like it used to. Now let me clarify, I sing, I am pitch perfect and have been to over 500 concerts. I know what LIVE music should sound like . The M80 delivers in spades. I will admit I had to add sub-woofers to round out the bottom end where my Sansui SP Z9 II were a little soft and they are run by their own dedicated amp but, that amp takes it orders from the M-80 outputs. That said, every thing that I hear in the concerts is finally being heard again through my system. The first thing that was evident was to have to re-tune my system. The EQ was cut to almost neutral across the bands, and the dynamic range expansion was de-tuned because the amp is doing such a great job of reproducing what is on the media. Yes, I know the new digital stuff is in less need of these adjustments, but my records show an equal amount of tweeking is needed since I've got the M-80 back in the line up. I've heard things on both medias that just plain weren't there before. Amazing amp for the price and it's just gotten better as the it's burned in. I have this thing running at full bore on 4 speakers and it's clear as a bell. Whats more amazing is when it's at a soft level it's reproduction is just as accurate. Nothing is missing, NOTHING. I can only say if you've never heard one of these in action, do so before you spend alot more money on a name. These kicked A$$ back then, and after Legendary gets through with it, it will again. Thanks Skip and the rest of you who worked my old girl over. Shes scaring the neighbors once again! AHH Good times ! Only one thing I would change about the restoration and that is how the cases are restored, I would seriously consider baking the cases in the oven to cure and harden the paint. Mine was a bit soft out of the box. Other than that- I am in your debt...and if my neighbors find out your address- you may get some hate mail. :)

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2015

Bottom Line:
This amplifier is quite amazing. It sounds wonderful. If you set it to class A mode, it gets quite hot. So don't, unless you are critically listening. Why? Stereo Review could measure no difference when that mode was selected.

A certain magazine, in the November 1984 edition, had great things to say about this amp, and even better things to say about the pre-amp, the C-80. The power is quite impressive on this thing. When the reviewers tried to test this into a 2-ohm load, their 15-amp power outlet tripped the breaker. They also had difficulty getting anything above .02 percent distortion, when driving past the rated specs. When driving 2-ohm loads, they hit 0.2 percent (4-ohm was 0.01 percent, 8-ohm was 0.025 percent). They were finally able to hit 0.15 percent at 400 watts. Here were the spec results of that bench test:

Frequency Response:

Signal-to-noise ratio (referred to 1 watts, A-weighted):
100dB

Slew factor:
Greater than measurement limit of 25

**Specs and article credit goes to the best magazine of all time, Stereo Review, November 1984. Stereo Review is now Sound & Vision Magazine

Submitted by James J a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
Had the good fortune to buy one of these new in 85, had it stolen a few years later, ( not so good luck) and finally replaced it. I haven't spent tons of time on amps and comparisons but I am pitch perfect and I know what sounds right. This amp delivers in spades. It is certainly capable of reproducing LIVE quality sound , if the rest of your system is up to it. I've attended upwards of 500 live shows, ( not including the local venues) and know what the "bar" is, and have aimed and succeeded to duplicate it in the home environment.
I was using the old receivers amp for year after my M80 got stolen. It did an ok job but certainly wasn't the same. I was still winning blast wars with the bar next door however, after 20 years of going without I purchased another one. It was like night and day. Suddenly all the things that were covered in mud or just plain not there came through again. Over night my EQ, which was doing major duty pumping frequencies that were faded, suddenly was reset to almost no boost at all. The clarity was back and the tight low end - kick you in the chest- punch was back. It was heaven... or so I thought. Having this back in my possession and realizing what I was missing, made me vow never to lose it again. SO off the the master restorers out at Legendary Amps it went. Good thing too because as it worked out- the old girl was running on borrowed time. Between the purchase price and getting it rebuilt was about $1700. A little pricey, but worth every penny. If you've been to the top of the mountain you just can't go back...you just can't. This unit was running on the grace of god when it arrived at Skips facility and the tear down photos showed how good these units were built. Blown chucks out of the mother board and it was STILL RUNNING Strong-- but not for much longer. Thankfully no irreparable harm was done and it was welcomed back with much anticipation. To my surprise the sound now surpassed what I started with, and Skip said it would get better in time as it burned in. Yeah.. ok..Uh Huh. Sure. Well be damned if he wasn't spot on again. I listen to most everything from Blues, Hard Rock, some Pop, Alternative, Fusion, Smooth Jazz. Each one is faithfully reproduced and this amp does it perfectly whether the volume is low background or concert level duplication of AC/DC LIVE at Donnigton. You are THERE. Could not be done without an amp of this quality and performance. Per dollar spent these are the far away best choice. Thanks To Yamaha for building it and Thanks to Legendary Amps for keeping them kicking.

Submitted by Eric Billington a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
I just recently had my Yamaha M80 restored by LegendaryAmps.
Everything about my experience was exceptional. As I sit here
absolutely cranking Jonny Lang "Touch" with what seems to be unlimited
headroom, all I can say is WOW!!! My restoration was worth every
penny. I sent my M80 to LegendayAmps in seriously bad shape as I was
the second owner. What I received in return was a pristine and
perfectly restored MONSTER AMPLIFIER!!!! After using the "Room EQ"
feature on the Denon AVR-3805 my system sounds fantastic. The Yamaha
M80 has added the raw power I've been missing, as well as a whole new
level of detail! If you own one of these amplifiers don't hesitate to
send it to LegendaryAmps. They will do right by you.
Eric R Billington 2013
My system consists of: Denon AVR-3805 as my preamp; Denon DVD-3910;
Denon POA-5000 amp; for my center and rears. Yamaha M80 amp for my
fronts. "WAHOO!!!" :-D. Monster HTS-5100 Power center; B&W DM-110i
front speakers; Paradigm Mini Monitors rear speakers;
Polk Audio CS-i30 center channel speaker; REL R-205 Sub wired through
speakon connector to the front speaker high level inputs; Paradigm
Reference Series Servo-15a 15" sub running off the LFE out.

Submitted by Chad Paul a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have to admit that I felt like I was taking a risk to invest as much as I did in the repair/rehabilitation of my Yamaha M-80 Power amp. After all, how good could an amp from the 80’s really sound when I could have just as easily purchased a new amp? I am happy to report that I couldn’t be more pleased with LegandaryAmps’ work, and the exquisite natural sound that now emanates from my speakers! I am hearing details in recordings that I haven’t heard in many years. Staying up late just to listen to my favorite music has become my new favorite pass-time! I can’t thank LegendaryAmps enough for providing this service. It’s hard to believe that I actually thought about junking this amp when the Protection lamp appeared. Luckily, I found the LegendaryAmps.com website and made the investment. I am happy to provide a reference for anyone who doubts the value that Skip and his team provide

BLG CP024: