Yamaha DSP A1 Amplifiers

The DSP-A1 is a 7-channel processor/amplifier providing the finest performance available for music and video sound. The processor provides 42 possible programs including Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, Yamaha's proprietary Tri-Field Processing, Cinema DSP, and Hi-Fi Digital Sound Field Processing.

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
The Yamaha DSP A1 is the best kept secret in all of audio land! I'm confident that back in the 90's when Yamaha was designing this unit, they told their designers to take off the gloves and make a statement to the consumer electronics industry -- and that they did!

Unless you invest in higher-end separate componets, you'll have a hard time finding a better value and bang for your audio buck. Especially these days when you can find the DSP A1 for around $200.00 +-.

Originally, I powered my B&W Nautilus 804 / HTM1 5.1 surround system with the DSP A1 and it did a fantastic job. No complaints whatsoever! But if you really want an audio treat, hook the DSP A1 up in dedicated direct (raw) 2 channel stereo mode with a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers with a tight subwoofer and listen to some reference CD's. WOW! Now that's some magical audio for two or three hundred bucks!

If you want an extremely high quality and versatile home theater 5.1 unit or just a splended 2-channel stereo intregrated amplifier for your personal listening pleasure, then treat yourself to a DSP A1. With the money you'll save from buying a new top-shelf receiver, you'll be able to better afford the quality speakers that this unit is built to power.

Submitted by pangl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
The DSP A1 is a very musical yet powerful A/V receiver I have listened to. It is very muscial and drive the Magnepan 3.3R effortlessly (see below).

Let me point out the negatives first.

(1) The D/A quality is very good but definitely not audiophile grade. If you are serious in listening to your CDs, get an external D/A. I personally use Wadia 25 d/a which happens to be an digital pre-amp too. Great clarity and soundstage and smoothness.

(2) The binding posts are too close to each other (but not as bad as the Pioneer's).

(3) Lack of decoder option. Well, this is a rather outdated unit in terms of all those crazy 6.1, 7.1 Neo, Matrix ... whatever buzzwords that are throwing around. I personally couldn't care less. You are better off getting the A1 which is a top-notch A/V receiver, and then take advantage of its 7 channel support (external decoder in) instead. Think about multichannel SACD for example, A-1 is the perfect choice. So this is not a negative to me, but will be for those of you who enjoy the latest and greatest decoding options.

This receiver drives my Magnepan 3.3R surprisingly well with the Wadia 25. Without it, you could not get earth-shattering volume (who would do that with the Magnepan anyway?).

For those of you who are as crazy as me. I actually compared Wadia 25 + Mark Levinson 23 VS Wadia 25 + DSP-A1. The #23 beats the DSP-A1 in every regard. But not at a large margin as you would expect. I'd say about 80% of #23 when listening to pop and chamber music, and 70% when listening to large orchestral works.

If you compare the price between the #23 (2 channel power amp, $2000 used) and DSP-A1 (7 channel A/V receiver, $600 used) and do the math, you should see an used DSP-A1 is a true bargain.

P.S. The DSP-A1 betters the Rotel (cheap quality from China nowadays), Pioneer (cross-talk, poor imaging and musicality), Technics (that's for your Bose speaker lovers only), Denon (way overpriced, flabby Q/A) and B&K (again, way overpriced, not as flexible as the A1).

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Brian Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit 3 years ago, and I’m very happy with it in playing pure audio or watching movies. At the beginning, I use it to drive a pair of Denmark bookshelf speakers, the effect is not bad, but lack of bass, however, with the compensation of a sub-woofer the problem can be solved. However, the sound from sub-woofer is slow and soft, I prefer to use a larger speaker. I bought a pair of B&W N804 a year ago, I didn’t expect the DSP-A1 can drive it so well, I just can’t believe that the sound is well balanced and so dynamic at the same time very details. No one would think to use such a “cheap” amp to drive a much high-end speaker like the B&W N804. Anyway, the DSP-A1 has the ability to drive it so well. I have taken the sub-woofer away after hooking with the N804, the sound stage has been improved, better bass response etc.

Purchased At:   Hong Kong

Submitted by bilbo1992 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have in fact DSP AX1 model, which is a newer version of A1 as I gather. It is an excellent amp (something like BMW in car indsustry); number of facilities - you don't even know whether you set it up correctly. It is a truly esoteric amp - some of us probably do not even appreciate how good the thing is.

Purchased At:   super-fi

Submitted by Dairybeats a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own two of them. The first one was bought for $ 1.600 in a sale. 6 Months later, in the next sale, it had dropped to 1.200. Being so pleased with the first one, I decided to get an other one for my 'normal' system in the livingroom.
In my top system it's used in combination with my fantastic Klipsch
RF-7.
Before the Klipsch they drove a pair of hefty Infinity Kappa 100 with ease.
The amp. has got plenty of power, for high quality stereo or Dolby 5.1 or DTS digital surround. It's very friendly in operating, with plenty of facilities and sound possibilities for surround.
What more to say; I 'love' them...

Purchased At:   Van Ingen, Purmerend

Yamaha DSP A1 or Htr 5990

Because of what I use and the price I am looking to purchase either the Yamaha HTR- 5990 or the DSP A-1 . Help with advice please . I mostly listen to music but almost as much watch DVD`s through my Xbox 360 HD DVD . I dont watch TV at present . HELP Ebay is ending soon !!!Read More »

SFLAT: