Wright Sound WPA 3.5 monoblocks Amplifiers

2A3 based S.E.T. amp zero feedback

Submitted by LaMont Clark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
After comparing 2a3 amps from Cary, Sun Audio and Wright, I decided on the Wrights. More frequency extension,better dynamics, cleaner sounding. I use NOS RCA 2a3 tubes. They push my Joseph 22 (87 db sensitivity) to reasonable loudness levels with no audible clipping. Very Satisfied.

Purchased At:   wright sound

Submitted by maureen barrett a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
With my Klipsch Speakers 104/db/watt these amps are the most wonderful sound on earth. It does not matter what the coast of anything else in the amplifier world as I have tried amps up to 30,000.00 per pair and nothing and I mean nothing brings brings you closer to the live performance than The Wright Stuff. Be aware that to get the BEST out of George Wright's stuff get his unbelievable WLA-12A Preamp. You will never want for anything else.

Purchased At:   Wright-Sound

Submitted by quoc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Amazing 2A3 amps with excellent value. I have compared the WPA3.5 extensively against my OTL Fourier Panthere, a much more expensive amp. In terms of amplifier design, they are at the opposite
spectrum. Thw WPA3.5 is SET, just a simple 2A3 output tube coupled to a Mangequest transformer. The Panthere does not have any output transformer, and needs to use 12 6c33c russian tubes to provide
an acceptable impedance to the speakers. In the end, the WPA3.5 offers the better sound. I have owned other tube amps before, and in my memory, the WPA3.5 is much better than a pair of GSI modified
Dynaco Mark III or a pair of Luxman MB3045 triode amp. The WPA3.5 is magical on horns. I listen to them on my 1976 Klipsch Cornwall (Alnico magnets in the drivers), with front ends being either an Empire
Troubadour turntable and Dynavector MC pickup or a CAL Audio Delta/Alpha CD-DAC combo.
I also listen to the WPA3.5 with Paul Spetz Zero acclaimed autoformer (you can read more at the Atmasphere owners' group) on my Cornwall. The Cornwall presents a low impedance of 5 ohms at 100 Hz.
The Zeros are connected directly via its own leads between the WPA3.5 and the Cornwall. I can categorically say that the improvement in dynamics, microdynamics and transparency as well as musicality
is significant and I hearily recommend WPA3.5 owners to try this out. I found the improvements with my Cornwall much better with the taps set on 8 ohm rather than the 16 ohm.
I do notice that the WPA3.5 character changes with the tube types. I found the newer and much improved Sovtek 2A3 tubes significantly better than the older Sovtek 2A3. I have not listened to them on any NOS.
I have also compared the WPA3.5 on either a VTL PR-9 Ultimate preamp or Wright Sound's own WPL10V phono preamp. While the Wright preamp is very good, it is not the equal of teh VTL Ultimate.
On a relative scale, the WPA3.5 is simply exceptional. If you find them used on Audiogon for $900, that is a steal. Go for it, you will never regret i

Purchased At:   direct from Wright S

Submitted by Vade Forrester a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Amazing, tiny little amps with incredible openess and surprisingly wide frequency response. Within their power limits, these amps communicate music extremely well. Direct sales keeps the price low. George Wright supports his products exceptionally well.

Detailed and revealing, but not painful to listen to. Any changes in your system, such as VTA adjustments, will be quite obvious through the Wright. Differences in tubes will also be easy to discern. I find NOS RCA dual-plate tubes sound best to me so far, but the standard Sovtek tubes are quite good, and relatively cheap. And they last a long time.

Comparisons:
Bass goes deeper than the Audio Note P4 amp, which has 5 times the power.

Diva 2A3 amp has more dynamic bass, but is no more transparent-and it costs twice as much, if you can find it.

A great way to start the SET experience!

Purchased At:   Direct

Submitted by Vade Forrester a

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
Fantastic value; great support from manufacturer. Embarassed much more expensive amps. Perfect intro to the SET phenomenon. But best with efficient speakers.