Tube Audio Design TAD 125 Hibachi mono blocks Amplifiers

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Twin Mono Block Amplifiers, 200 watts per channel.

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
I gave these amps the good old college try before selling them off on audiogon. I bought these directly on sale for about $550, when they were on some year-end closeout. I hate to be the first average review, but I didn't like them or feel that they performed where Paul claimed that they would. However, in fairness, lots of people have expressed their deep affection for those little magical black boxes.

I previously owned his TAD-60 tube amp, pushing a pair of monitor audio RS6's. I also own a pair of Quad 12L actives.

My setup was as follows PS Audio DAC -> TAD-150 Signature Preamp -> Hibachi Amps -> Monitor Audio Speakers. I'm not a super-duper audiophile, so I'll spare you the attempt. To me, the soundstage was scrunched, missing midrange warmth, and somewhat fatiguing. However, the amps did have exceptional low-end slam and I felt that I could probably blow up my house with how powerful they were.

I ended up selling these to a guy in Canada who had a similar experience, so I guess I'm not the only one.

Submitted by dynobot a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Bottom Line:
I purchased what might be the last of the lot Hibachi mono blocks. My previous amps were Aragon 8008BB, Xindak mono-blocks and Haflers amps. These mono blocks possess all of the best traits of the aforementioned amps plus some. My speakers are Dynaudio Audience 82s and I use various sources both tubed and solid state preamps as well as various Dac's. For this review I am using a Audio-GD Reference 7 Dac and a Decware CSP-s preamp, with Audioquest wire.

Starting out with the attribute that really stands out the most, the air and transparency of these amps are just outstanding. Truly holographic sound-stage in every way instruments and voices appear out of thin air and recede deep into the sound-stage as well as extend far beyond the speakers literally bringing you the listener into the event. Speakers truly disappear. The holographic sound is something I have only heard to this degree with my Hafler amp, and the Hibachi amps even surpass them.
Highs shimmer with ease without any hint of glare and decay goes on with ease as is called for depending on the track. Clarity is what stands out and truth to timbre. High note clarity is a hallmark of the Aragon, but unlike the Aragon the Hibachi amps never ever sound harsh, they are totally under control and are able to bring out every musical nuance with ease and grace. Unlike the Aragon 8008BB which at times can get harsh sounding.
Mids and lows again are outstanding, lows go deep and are never flabby like in some tube amps but still manage to convey just a tad of tube character to the harmonics. Like the Xindak the Hibachi amps are lush with tone without being thick and un-musical.
I am very happy with this purchase, I doubt I will be shopping for amps any time soon...unless I see more Hibachi amps up for sale.
Fit and finish are outstanding, nice gloss finish and small enough form factor to be placed out of the way if so desired or right front and center. They run cool and are quite.

Submitted by MusicIsLife a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had the set for about 1 month. They are beautiful to look at. My set is the standard (not the upgraded set) version and this is my first attempt at bi-amping setup. Anyways, they sound fantastic and requires little time to break in. The bass is tight, mid-range very clear and lively, and the highs are sweet. I'm not going to pretend to use the audiophile verbiage to describe the sonic quality of the amps, but my true honest opinion is that they are a great set of amps.

Strengths: Sound, build quality, solid-state bass with tubey sound

Weaknesses: Does not come with setup instructions

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Randall Johnson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
I’m a Tube audio Design regular customer, I tend to buy anything this guy makes, I have posted reviews before, glad to do it again, this time less cut & paste info from the manufacturer web page, will be in my own words – you can read the tubeaudiodesign.com page yourself for gritty details.
This pair of Hibachi mono block amps tops them all! Sonically they sound like tube amplifiers offering midrange harmonic magic along with strong bass response lower damping tube amps cannot touch.
A new discrete internally balanced transistor design featuring extremely low feedback without coupling caps. Less is always more in the tube amp world, finally this philosophy is applied to solid state. To validate the tube amp brand name there is some type of 1000-year gas regulator tube soldered inside on the power line, this tube filters line noise promoting a deeper darker background. Enough technology, the sound is what matters. This pair offers micro dynamic detail that creates a wide spacious spot on soundstage. The power capability is enough for most any speaker, Magnapans sound amazing driven by my Hibachi amps. More efficient speakers sound out of this world too. My Klipsch RF5 towers blast with tube amp authority, and the bass control is mind blowing. The multi-inputs are very flexible too, have my HT processor front L & R outputs connected to the amps along with my stereo preamp. Has an input volume control to match the amp to any preamp on the market that has RCA jacks. Large gold MIT style speaker posts make using any speaker wire a snap. The supplied 6-foot black power cords work, but as we know need an upgrade.
The stand alone deep gloss black enclosures are unique and beautiful.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by eagleman6722 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
Pair of Black solid state mono blocks shaped in the design of a hibachi grill. They weigh 17 # each and are capable of 200 watts per channel. After pushing my Vandys for several hours they are only warm to the touch. They are shiny black and beautiful to look at. I have the following equipment: Eastern Electric CD, Vandy 2CE sigs, TAD subs, Tad 150 tube preamp, upgraded power cords and ICs. Together with the TAD preamp they sound more warm and tubey than other solid state amps I have had on this system. I had a McCormack DNA-1, a B&K 4220, A B&k 140 , and a TAD 60. This amp is basically in another league by itself compared to the other amps listed. They have plenty of punch to push my Vandys which are 86DB efficient. The soundsatage is basically three dimensional and spreads out from speaker to speaker. I generally listen to poorly recorded classic rock and this system can spread out most of my CDs and make them listenable. The owner of Tube Audio Design provides unmatched customer service and exhibits a passion about his business.

Product model year:   2008