Sony TA-N77ES
Description: 2 x 200 into 8 ohms

Submitted by Sergey a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
Have bought it non-working on ebay for $300. Repairing it is a breeze - all the parts are easily obtainable. Instead of using lamps which Sony sells for $17 apiece I replaced them with SMD LEDs - they provide even better ligh and work trouble-free for more than 2 years.
I use it with 5 speaker 4-way Sony ES towers - SS-F80ES with Extended Definition supertweeters. Their sensitivity is 87db and they aren't an easy load. But this amp make them sing - the bass at first was so tremendous that I had to put the speakers on spikes and granite to lower the bass (my room is too small, this is not the problem of the amp nor the speakers) , transients are musical, sometimes the soundstage frightens with realism, the amp is so quiet that sometimes I think that the cables to the speakers are disconnected. TA-N77ES is very detailed even at the lowest volume with such difficult load. The amp is rock stable and doesn't care not only about the load but the speaker cables too. The sound is much more delicate and precise than the vintage tube amps.
Never experienced problems with the heat other people mention despite that the amp sits in a closed rack with only about 1" left above and often plays from 9AM to 8PM non-stop while I work.
The build quality is unbelieveble - I think most of Sony ES gear made from mid 80s to mid 90s should be used in colleges as examples of the top class engineering.

Submitted by piotrek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've bought this amp on E-bay from second owner.Overall condition is very good,so basic electrical adjustements (offset & bias) did the job.
Well i'm really impressed of built quality and sound of this amplifier - i compared it vs
Krell,Rotel & Mark Levinson and need to say, that there is a difference in favor of those famouse ones, but really small one.....just noticable ( slower bass response i.e) BUT total amount i paid for Sony is NOT comparable - simply it is worth every cent spend on it !!!
Also - its electronical components as well as service manual are easy to get ....(still... after so many years) so....if something goes wrong servicing should be quite easy and not expensive.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Submitted by Don van der Deijl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the successor of the tan 77 the tan 80.
I think they are doing very well these days compairing too other much more exepensive onces.
I have two off them bridged which raised the power and makes the groud contact,s which can give problems overdone.
They have no problems too drive any speaker at all so even mu SYNTHESE 1 which are hard too handle perfomed perfect.
A natural sound no single spark off aggressive sound it sounds under the most complex music and it is an stable amp.
I had a krell in my house for one week but it couldnt satisfy me and that was a surprise for me and for the KRELL owner .
Perfect product

Purchased At:   1992

Submitted by Tarrasque a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Until I've purchased the Sony CDPX77ES CD player, Sony was never on my short list when looking for new equipment.

After wandering around and listened to the quite some amplifiers, the TA-N77ES really made it happen! After 10+ years listening to my Elipson 1313 speakers, they performed to the max the first time. This superbly build amp does measure up to most of the so called "audiophile" tube amps.
Of all amplifiers listened to, I concidder the Sony TA-N77ES only be beaten by the AITOS OTL mono blocks.
(see similar products used)

Purchased At:   from a friend

Submitted by Glenn a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Of the listed amps above, only the Bryston's (which I used for ten years) and the MC-300 & 500 sounded good enough to compare to the Sony. The tube stuff is just that, stuff with a capital F. I need clean and fast. The Bryston's were great. The MC-300 was OK, with the MC-500 considerably better. But the Sony is tops. Fast, clean and uncolored. Is a wonderful amp and runs much cooler than the Bryston's. It also looks considerably better. I feel it was a great step to get this thing. It is such a value, as well. I purchased for a twentieth of what I sold the MC-500 for. I will be buying more as I move to HT in the next year or two. I would give this amp a ten star rating for value. And Sony still supports it for parts and repairs (but I understand that they are bullet-proof, as are all ES equipment up to mid-90's). Happy Listening!!!

Purchased At:   Used - eBay Auction