Simaudio Moon W-3 Amplifiers

4.89/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $3195.00

100 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by DMolisher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Wow, I was really impressed with this old demo when I auditioned it. My wife & I both actually preferred it to Bel Canto's newer Evo 6 (Gen I then), at least with neither bridged (and both using XLR). The bass was noticeably better, and it seemed even faster than the Evo. The Evo was better with bell-like sounds, as noted seemed to decay more slowly & gently, and vibraphones would ring with realistic clarity that the Simaudio did not match, however. But both amps on test clearly beat my (also excellent at its price) Chiro C-500 amp, which previously ousted my (again, great for the price) NAD T760 AV receiver. All of the above (except the NAD receiver) won out over power amps from B&K and Rotel, too. And Anthem's amps are about on par with the Chiro (and also priced right), but no match for the Simaudio W-3.

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   The Sound Concept

Submitted by Dan T a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
First of all, I never buy new stuff if I can. There are some really good deal to be made. Enough said,lets get to the review. I had a Celeste 4150se which I thought sounded very good. My local dealer got this used W-3 and told me take it home for a listen. I wasn't convinced, the W-3 is a 4150se with a big face plate if you look closely at the 2 machines. Was I wrong. The W-3 takes you to the next level along with the big guys, (ML, Krell, YBA Passion etc). What you get is amazing transparency, highs that you thought never existed on CDs, grain free sound, absolutly no solid state grit (almost tubelike), bass control unheard of. The Totems Model One are not the easiest speakers and required a lot of current. The W-3 takes control of the Dynaudio woofer. Even thou I run the Model one full range, woofer motion is kept at a minimum. I guess I really, or should I say really like the Moon W-3 amp. In compairing with the Threshold, the sound was less open, soundstage was closed in, the bass was recessed. I had less of everything. The Bryston in contrast was more analytic, less sweet, highs were more brittle.
My final recommendation, if you want to get audiophile sound and a thigh budget, go get the Moon W-3 and you wont be sorry.
Associated equipment:
Cyrus DAD3 used as transport
California Audio Labs Alpha DAC (tubed)
YBA 3 Alpha pre-amp (remote version)
Moon W-3 power amp (230 WPC at 4 ohms)
Totem Model One Signature bi-wired (running full range 4 ohms)
2 home-made subs 2 x 10 inch Peerless drivers each in isobarik config (-3 db at 20 hertz at 97 db, 4 ohms)
Parasound HCA-1500 power amp for subs (315 WPC at 4 ohms)
Energy active X-Over
Mains cable and speaker cables are home made
Interconnects Monster M1000 all around.

Purchased At:   $1200.00

Submitted by Craig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great amplifier. It has power on reserve and a real grip on the music. My ears give out long before the amp shows any material signs of strain.

Overall presentation is very neutral. Bass in particular is very deep and powerful compared to other amps auditioned in my system. Midrange is clear (perhaps the slightest bit forward compared to other offerings). Higher frequencies are silky smooth AFTER a lengthy burn-in. For the first 3-4 weeks out of the box, high frequencies were a bit etched and bright. However, all traces of this have disappeared now after 4+ weeks of continuous burn-in.

Highly recommended. Make sure you audition a burned-in unit before buying anything else in this price range.

Associated equipment: Audiolab 8000C pre-amp, Rega Planar 3 turntable, Arcam Alpha 5+ and Linn Ikemi CDP, Reference 3a La Veritas speakers, Wireworld cables.

Purchased At:   Audio Room

Submitted by mikeL a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I still have faith in this hobby now that I found sim. And also companies like MSB you should try out the MSB gold link try it and you'll see or hear what I mean. Oh by the way I use the p5 SIM preamp also, Just wonderful.

Submitted by Matthew Elliott a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is serious stuff!!!! Im not sure if you can get better. Huge soundstage, openness, airiness, power, articulate, awesome. If you like sound of tubes but solid state timing, get a W3. Smooth yet not rolled off (perfect). I cannot see bettering this amp. I love it with my 5.3 speakers. You have got to hear this amp. Do not purchase another expensive amp without hear this baby.

Atlantic Technology :