Simaudio Celeste W-4150SE Amplifiers

150 Watt Power Amplifier

Submitted by boconnell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I originally started with a two channel Bryston 4B-ST, and decided that I wanted to set up a home theater system (five channels) and switched to a 5B-ST (three channel version of 3B-ST). The changes were quite apparent -- 4B-ST dug out more low end and seemed a little less harsh, so I was slightly disappointed with the change.

I later decided to simply purchase a home theater receiver and have two systems (one for home theater and one for audio), so I sold the 5B-ST for an equivalent to the 4B-ST, but perhaps with slightly less power (I was using Thiel CS1.2, and didn't really need all the power that the 4B-ST offered).

I noticed the Celeste on the web and purchased it after reading reviews of Sim Audio equipment, all of which were glowing.

When I received it, it fit the bill perfectly. The bottom end of the 4B-ST was there, perhaps a little tighter and more controlled, and the highs were a bit smoother (less grain?). The amp was paired with a Melos tube pre-amp (same as with the Brystons), so perhaps the smoothness was coming from the pre-amp, and the amp was just letting it through.

Well, the tube pre-amp needed repair, and I had a chance to pick up a nice integrated (Electrocompaniet ECI-3), and never hooked up the Celeste with the tube pre-amp again. I then changed my speakers to Dynaudio Audience 52, and all was well with my set up (with the integrated, don't forget).

I fixed a deal with someone for the Celeste, and hooked it all back up with the Dynaudio's to make sure that the amp was in good working order before shipping it to the Buyer, and I discover that I am making a big mistake.

My Dynaudios sung with the Celeste and the Melos tube pre-amp. I did multiple A-B comparisons, even made sure that the volume levels were identical with a Sound Meter, and even though I couldn't put my finger on the precise difference, it was clear that the music was more enjoyable with the Celeste. The same details were coming through, but the Celeste just presented a more complete picture.

This did not surprise me because when I auditioned the speakers, I heard them with a smaller and a larger Classe amp, and the added power did wonders for these speakers.

Purchased At:   web-used

Submitted by ANDREW a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
THIS AMP REALLY LET YOU HEAR ALL THE INFORMATION FROM THE 5" CD! NOTHING GRAIN ON THE MUSIC,ALL THE INTRUSMENTS ARE RIGHT IN THE SPOT!(NOT TOO MUCH AMPS OUT THERE CAN DO THAT)IF YOU FIND ONE BUY IT! IT WILL GIVE YOU $6-7000 SOUND AND MUSIC,

Submitted by Serge Bor a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I use this amp for my bi-amplification (from 80 Hz and over). Excellent spacious and detailes. Serious amp.

Submitted by Petrusky a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
After a long search for a good amplifier that can drive my Martin Logan Aerius i. I finally found the right amplifier (given a fixed budget). The next runner up in my list is the Krell 300i. The Celeste has much more extension, and the base is as tight and fast as the Krell. The high end of the Celeste is much better than the Krell 300i. It is very extended but not harsh. I am very happy with this amp. If you have a B&W 8xx, a Magnepan or an ML, take a look at this amp before you buy anything. I know that there are better amps out there (Moon W5, Krell FPB200, ML 331, etc.), but I beleive that this amp offer best value for the money. I saw on the web for used unit in the range of 1000 -> 1200, you can not find any better deal than this. I would give this amp 5 stars for best value, and 4.5 star (or 4) for sound (because I know that the Moon W3, W5, Krell FPB200, ML331 is out there). Good listening

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile