Sherbourn 5 1500A Amplifiers

4.78/5 (27 Reviews)

5 Channel Amp

Submitted by swanny76109 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
I purchased this from the first owner on Videogon. I use this to power my NHT setup, with the Pio Elite 94 receiver as my pre/pro. Classic 3 for front, Classic 2 for surround, Jamo Center (couldn't fit the Classic C here), and Classic 12 sub. The NHT are a difficult load, not highly efficient at 86 db and 6 ohm. This amp drives them to outrageous yet controlled levels. It is an authoritative, warm, and responsive HT amp. You can hear the channels flying around during movies. The monoblock design allows each channel to bloom during the most hectic scenes. For music, I am happy too, but have mainly used it for HT. Multichannel DVD Audio is awesome. The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds is wonderful on this system. For music video, try the Led Zepp DVD set in DTS to see the power and musicality of this amp. It is heavy and solid at 75 lbs. Not exciting to look at, but boy does it do the job well. Everything is clear and natural throught this system. Never fatiguing to listen to, and voices sound extremely natural. I expect to enjoy this amp in my system for a long time. At 5x300 wpc it gives me all the power and glory I need to rock out. A great value.

Purchased At:   videogon

Submitted by flash a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
Here it is 2008 and this amp is still selling for 900.00 everywhere. That in itself is a good testemonial.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Montana-1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
A few months before the 5 year warrantee expired, my Sherbourn developed some static noises in 2 channels.
I contacted Sherbourn by e-mail, and the next day their affable tech, Joe, called to talk to me about the problem.
Apparently it was something they had experienced before which required replacement of some filter caps.
They not only replaced the caps in the affected channels, they replaced all 10 caps (2 for each channel) at no charge.
This is great customer support, and potential buyers should know about it.

All my previous comments about this terrific product still apply, and I see no acoustic reasons to "upgrade." I've compared it to many more expensive stereo amps and this one has never come in second.

Submitted by dax a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Purchased the 5/1500A model because I needed an upgrade over my Denon receiver to power 4-ohm Dynaudio Audience 72, 122c, & 42W speakers. This amp drives the Danes effortlessly. Clean power and tight bass at a very reasonable price especially used.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by bobpaule a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first ever separate amplifier. I am using it with the ill-fated Sony STR-V555ES and very nice Polk RT800 speakers.

What can i say that has not been said already? The sound is flowing out thick and rich like honey. Many mention Saving Ryan's Privates as the ref audio but i love Gattaca and the amp carries it flawlessly.

I am thankful to people like Paul Hartley from The Perfect Vision who do such a thorough and unbiased job reviewing equip.

This amp will smoke the lights of the competition out as at this price it is a steal. God i love this machine

Purchased At:   Internet