ROTEL RMB-100 Mono Amplifiers

4.43/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

125 Watt Mosfet Power Amplifier (1995-1999)

Submitted by axel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me tell you the combination between my mono blocks and my fl-8 spendor unbelievable the soundstage the naturality and of course the power is uncanny. there is no power under 1500.00 that can blast my babys

Submitted by Old Owner a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I began my foray into High-end back in 1995 with the purchase of a Cal Icon MkII and took about two years to assembly a complete system. My slow pace was dictated by my lack of funds so I had a great deal of time to make the selection of individual components. I was also lucky that my local dealer at the time, St. Louis Sound, was increadibly kind and patient with me. I had opprotunities to listen to almost every component in the store at my leisure.

I listened to the AR D120, some other unknown 120x2 amp from a local manufacturer, and the Rotel RMB-100s. At the time, the D120 was out of my price range. At the time, I found the RMB-100s to be slightly bright, forward, and aggressive -- all qualities I liked back then so I took the amps home. My RMB-100s served me for six years driving Thiel CS1.5s. The Rotels were configured in balanced mode from an Audio Research LS3B preamp.

Recently, I sold the RMB-100s and bought an Aragon 8008BB. Now, I'm not one of those "it was like God himself played the music once I added those $100 foam discs to the walls!" type of audiophiles; I know what I like and once I find it I don't messs around too much. But, comparing the 8008BB to the Rotels revealed a lot of stuff I was missing, particularly in the lower end. The bass of the RMB-100s is suprisingly anemic for a monoblock. I found it muddy and ill defined. The Aragon was more laid-back and much less bright.

I also found some "musicality" differences in terms of soundstaging, midrange sweetness and imaging bloom between the 8008 and the RMB-100s. For the most part, the 100s were bland, not really doing anything spectacular, but not screwing anything up either whereas the 8008 did some spectacular stuff and also didn't screw up anything.

For the used market, I think the RMB-100s are a deal but I would recommend trying out other amps in the same used price range. Also, there is a 3db difference when using the balanced versus single-ended inputs. The balanced inputs sounded more open to me so I would recommended your own comparisons.

System:
Homebrew cat5 speaker cables

Purchased At:   New at (the defunct) St. Louis Sound

Submitted by per hansson a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
I find the Rotel RMB-100 the most afordable mono amplifiers around.I have not tried the balanced input yet but soon i will get my new Thule
pre amplifier and we will se how the Rotel compares with Thule`s own amplifiers.

Submitted by Adi Einat a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
Those monoblocks are the best for their price.First , I've purchased the mission753 freedom loudspeakers. then , I was trying to find an amplifier that will get
the best out of those speakers. I tried the NAD 114 , a used Hafler , and the
best results was from those babes.

Submitted by gene a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
Better than any intergrated AV amps I've heard. Flexible too. Flip side is the large number of sockets needed to power up these babies for a 5-channel AV system. Amps like Audiolab 8000s, Classe and YBA sound a bit smoother and sweeter but cost considerably more.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile