ROTEL RB-991 Amplifiers

4.62/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

3 Channel THX Power Amplifier - 200 Watts

Submitted by Gerret a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2016

Bottom Line:
This amp does exactly what I expected. I have switched away from Adcom amps to Rotel a while back. Innocently I started with an RB 981. This is a great amp and more powerful than the specs would suggest. I liked the sound and wanted more of th same. A short while ago I was able to get a late model RB 1080. That was a rude awakening. The sound became bright, harsh in a similar sound stage. Even upgrading the internal fussed or changing the power cord did not help. After a few weeks of frustration I sold the RB 1080. The RB 891 was just more musical.
Enter the RB 991, it provides simply more off everything I liked about the RB 981. It has the same musicality, same open space and yes, just enough more power I was looking for for the transients that could have sounded compressed with the RB 981.

The amp is driving a pair of Magnepan MG12s and is combined with an RC 995. No complaints! I kept the RB 981 and am now running it with a Rotel RTC 965. This is also a great sounding combo.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 991 to compare with the RB990 which I currently own. The 990 has great punch, while staying tight for bass and mid bass. I always felt that the high end was not as good. I am driving B&W CDM 9NT's. (Great speakers). I use a Rotel 1070 CD player and Rotel RSX1055 receiver.

My plan was to sell the amp that I liked less. When I hooked up the 991 I found that the high end was much better. However the bass no longer had the tight controlled sound of the 990. I was totally confused at this point.

Just for the fun of it I decided to try bi-amping. I use the 991 for the high and the 990 for the bass. This has worked out really well. The sound is much tighter all around. The only problem I have now is the expense of keeping both amps.

The internal amp in the RSX1055 is OK. It just lacks the strength that two 400 watt amps deliver.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by JohnArnold a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Yes there are better amps out there but I guarantee they are all 3-4 times the price of the big Rotel and that most of them glow in the dark. This has got to be the best buy audiophile high powered amp on the market.

Purchased At:   Intersound Melbourne

Submitted by mshaw25 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was lucky enough to find this wonderful amplifier on eBay with the original box, manual, and receipt, still under warranty :). I ordered two pair of 1m Silver Serpent interconnects from Bettercables and hooked everything up with a used Adcom GFP 565 preamplifier (using bypass for the shortest circuit path), a Denon DCM-370 HDCD CD player, and a Technics SL-1700 turntable. The sound is superb. Excellent detail and the midrange and voices are outstanding. Great compliment to my Klipsch Legend KLF-30 speakers, toned down the brightness, no listening fatigue.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by jaosn523 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
This thing in a word - DYNAMICS. Plenty of juice ready ON DEMAND. My speakers are inefficient (86 db Dynaudios) and this thing can drive them with aplomb. As with the 1080, though (see stereophile's review), a little volume helps brings out the best (side note my preamp - a NAD C160 could also be robbing me of a little detail, etc., and I have not auditioned different preamps). The power obviously helps bring out the shocking amount of bass my speakers possess. The amp, like my speakers, likes CHOICE equipment. The crap wires will not due. When my cables (JPS ultraconductors) broke in, it was AUDIBLY NOTICEABLE. The amp is a gem.

Purchased At:   Audiogon.com