ROTEL RB-981 Amplifiers

4.77/5 (30 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

130 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier

Submitted by karister99 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome sounding, excellent power amp with lots of power to spare and great controlled sound. This thing has been paired with the Rotel RC-995 preamp,running some Energy Veritas 2.3i's with a B&W sub and this thing produces sweet music all around. It's very rare you see these things going on sale anymore, I guess people hang on to them due to such great sounding amp and it's great built quality. I had been rotating this amp with others in my rig, always comes back to the awesome sounding Rotel. If one want's to get in to audiophile quality without breaking the bank, jump on one of this if you ever come across and you'll never regret your decision to purchase this solid amp.

Submitted by Yann a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
Just bought this on ebay to complement my RA 971 mk2 and Acoustic Energy AE120s.
Oh man what a difference! I've had my system for 8 years, despite the fact that I enjoyed it greatly, I always found it a bit limited on the bass side. The added 8 year old 981 gave it punch and control, a totally new experience on such an old system. Who would believe it.

The problem was that my lovely AE120s were power hungry and the integrated amp struggled to deliver the juice at times... I like it loud at parties.

There you go, 125GBP power amp that rocks my world!

Yann

Submitted by Flammen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
Well, it´s often emphasized, that this amplifier sounds very good in bridged mode.
Granted - but there´s an even better way of doing it if you can live with a little less on the effect side compared to the bridged mode, namely "pseudo-balanced" mode.
You´ll of cause need two RB 981´, and then you short-fuse one channel on each of the 981´s by the help of a shortfused jack. Then connect each channel of the cable connecting the pre-amplifier to the remaining channel on each of the 981´s - and the power-anplifiers are in pseudo-balanced mode.
The result is an astonizing amount of control because the transistors in one side of this stereo-amplifier now is dedicated to "dampen" the signal when needed. The noise-floor comes down to virtually nothing and the dynamics gets astonising - even copared to the bridged mode.
WARNING: You are never to "pseudo-balance" an amplifier that´s in bridged mode - make sure, that it´s in the normal stereo mode before you try this trick. You can´t do this with a "class a"- or a tube-amplifier either, but you can off cause do it with any "normal" solid state amplifier.
I have listened to my combination of two Pseudobalanced 981´s for years and would´nt dream of switcing them with anything else. Well - not at this price at least...

Submitted by jleonardk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
Rotel RB981 Amp ? It's wonderful. Very good build quality. I am now using a Rotel RC972 preamp and the noise level is non existent. With CD in pause and the volume turned up above listening level the speaker output is nill. Hit play and my room comes to life. I have no balance adjust, but no problem Dianna Krall is center stage. The highs are crisp the mids clear and the bass tight. Every instrument sounds natural and the detail is incredible. My speakers are Phase Technology 745ES, the tweeters are precision, lively, never harsh - can listen for hours and not fatigue. I really like Phase Tech speakers. CD's I thought were poor recording quality now sound incredible. If you have this amp and don't like it, then you need to try a better source. There is absolutely nothing bad too report on the RB981.

Submitted by hein88@sbcglobal.net a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I love this amp. Its a Rotel classic for sure. I have pushed Infinity Overture 1's,B&W 805's, B&W 801's and Legacy Classics with this amp and I have never been dissapointed. Always true to the music, never bright and never shy with the bass.

I recently bridged this amp to drive the HTM4S and I must admit that it sounds better then the Marantz MA 700's.

If you can find this amp on E-bay or garage sale, don't hesitate to purchase.

Purchased At:   Classic Stereo