ROTEL RB-981 Amplifiers

4.76/5 (34 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

130 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier

Submitted by Nigel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2016

Bottom Line:
Thought one would add comments after reading the others. Great, wonderful, awesome, incredible fantastic, amazing, all words well worthy of this amp. I have two in mono mode capable of over 350 watts each, but that's only the one side of these amps. Could be used as a welder as I found out after accidental short out. A very high current indeed!! But soundwise they rank well above some of the very expensive "named" so called Audiophile amps. I have tried many believe me! They are very well built indeed, though pre- start relays would have been a good addition speakers tend to get quite a surge, still, all said they are what they are: great amplifiers at great original price no wonder they are hard to find these days, if you do come across one or even better a pair grab them quick. I also have a Rotel rx1630 which is also amazing. Speakers used>>> Monitor gold floor standing, together quite a act!!

Submitted by Jg_meyer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2015

Bottom Line:
I never felt compelled to write a review until I wanted to upgrade. I have had a number of different amps: Adcom, Denon, Onkyo, Kenwood, Marantz and finally settled on the humble Rotel RB 981. A lot of reviews state that it sounds just like an RB 991 or RB 1080. Mine at least does not. I bought a last generation Rotel RB 1080. What I heard was a more clinical, harsher sounding amp. I took me a week of back and forth to admit pot myself that I had made a mistake. The RB 981 just sounded more open and defined, had better bass and musicality. I quickly resold the RB 1080. This is not to say that it was a bad a,p, but no match for the RB 981 in my set up. Thus experience cured me from wanting to replace the now beloved RB 981. If you can find one get it and you won't regret it. I am using it with Magnepan MG 12.

Submitted by aa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2015

Bottom Line:
Using this amp as a replacement while my beloved quad 405-2 in surgery.It has plenty of guts to drive nearly everything-kef 104.2,kappa 100, no problem at all, never sound harsh,always confident,runs cool.Bad points-lack of micro dynamics, dull looks, but overall good amp especialy in this price range.4.5 points from me

Submitted by Alan Nonymous a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
The House of Power
When you ask yourself the question is it worth forking out the cash on this brute you need to condiser what it brings to the table. I have discovered the answer, in the words of the late Mr .Clarkson is POWER POWER AND MORE POWER. What this POWER brings is the ability to convey a tremendous scale and dynamism in all forms of music with the ease assured by it's ability to deliver a rumoured 30 amps of current. I cannot imagine this thing EVER running out of breath - it shows the fort of a great amp, you turn up the wick, it doesn't just "get louder" the realism of the music increases till you feel like it's in the room. It will cure me of my upgraditis for some time I should imagine and despite it's SHOCKING quality banana sockets its astonishing prowess more than compensates and would heartily recomend to any lover rof good fun music !

Submitted by karister99 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome sounding, excellent power amp with lots of power to spare and great controlled sound. This thing has been paired with the Rotel RC-995 preamp,running some Energy Veritas 2.3i's with a B&W sub and this thing produces sweet music all around. It's very rare you see these things going on sale anymore, I guess people hang on to them due to such great sounding amp and it's great built quality. I had been rotating this amp with others in my rig, always comes back to the awesome sounding Rotel. If one want's to get in to audiophile quality without breaking the bank, jump on one of this if you ever come across and you'll never regret your decision to purchase this solid amp.

CRIMSON: