ROTEL RB 980BX Amplifiers

4.83/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Discontinued, price may be lower. 120 watt stereo amplifier

Submitted by Cruz Enrique a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
I'm going to give 5 stars to this already old guys only on one condition, and is based on my own experience with several hook ups to drive my speakers. I have an Adcom SLC 505 passive pre (I said I never go back to active but that not the point). First I audition this amps in "mono bridged mode"; my speaker are quite efficient and the amps in this mode turned irritating, annoying. molesting you name it, I've could not resist a minute listening to this amps on this mode; the only benefit of this connection is loud levels of sound. My Adcom passive was at 9 o'clock volume postion in this configuration. The second try was to connect an amp to each speaker bi-wired (Parallel mode?) using one channel of each amp; obviously the power drop from 360 to 120W, I had to increase the passive from 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock, but the Adcom still have enough juice to drive the system; everything changed and then I've understood why some audio and music lovers say that "The Lesser The Power The More Delicate The Sound" An overall change occured to my Rotels 980BX power amps; delicate, more controlled sound in all the frequency range, Bass still powerfull, but musical, fast and precise, sweet mids and non agressive relaxed, smooth highs. Soundstage opened noticeably. I enjoy 'em for hours without fatigue.

But the best connection I've ever made with this amps is biamping the speakers with them; that was my next and last audition; what was already awesome became even better. A stereo 120W/CH amp to drive each speaker and I've started to enjoy the best sound you can hear from 2 non expensive amps from Rotel. Sounds quite good with one single stereo amp Bi-wired.

Of course, this depends, obviously, on each listener's taste, for me, biamping is the best option, but if you want to complaint with your neighbors and love it loud "bridge 'em". Again, this review is based on my experience in the connections I've mentioned above.

Adcom SLC-505 Passive Preamplifier
PSB Image T6 3 Way Speakers
Adcom GDA 600 Outboard DAC
Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD Player (Used as a CD player)
Rotel RCD-950 Dedicated CD Plyer
All Audioquest Cabling
2 Rotel RB 980BX Power Amplifiers

Submitted by Figaro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought this old amp on Ebay based on these Audio reviews. It replaced a dead Denon POA 2800. The reviews were spot on. This amp is dead quiet and very easy to listen to all day long. Very clear sound, good sound stage, crisp bass, great mids, and smooth highs.. At the going used prices for this amp it is one incredible value. I supply this amp through a Yamaha CX-2 pre and it drives Overture 1 bookshelf speakers. High end sound on the cheap.

Submitted by Bert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
The RB 980 was an upgrade of a NAD tuner/amp because of a pair new (used) B&W 803 Matrix S2 in 2002. The Rotel had far more control over the sound (especially the bass) and the sound stage was very good. A year later I sold the NAD receiver and the RB980 was controlled by a Rotel RC 980. Good combination for the money (€160).
In 2004 I completed the set with an as good as nes Rotel CD player RCD 991 (€450).
I upgraded the standard interlinks with self constructed interlinks (good quality microphone cable with golden connectors about €6 per pair, a bargain for the quality)
I am fully satisfied with the sound. I know that an improvement will cost much more money.

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by AJCalhoun a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
I just recently picked this off during a buying spree on eBay, and could have had it for even less if I'd played my cards right, but it doesn't matter, because it's a great deal and would be even if it were bought today at the MSRP, as far as I'm concerned. I've been looking for an amp of equal power and quality to replace my Yamaha M-40, which is getting up in years and was too darn big to fit in the rack with the Vantas Dolby 5.1 processor/pre-amp I had added recently (another great deal, but another story, told elsewhere on this site). So I found this unit, examined and tested it, found it not wanting in the essentials, and now have put it through the workout and it is definitely in a league with much pricier (new) equipment. It's a little more detailed than the Yam, and also just a tad warmer. With the B&W DM 600 S3's and Boston PV600 powere sub this amp will never have to work up a sweat. The power knob rarely goes beyond 5:35, and that's loud! It's physically smaller and a little lighter than the Yam, built to British standards, extremely clear, clean, and pretty neutral. Just to my liking. It's served via an AudioSource Preamp/Tuner-2, and before you start laughing read my review on that item elsewhere. While Audiosource has put out one dud preamp (the Preamp One/A), this one is far, far superior, and I would rate it right up there with the Rotel 972 preamp that would have been a great companion to this amp. All in all it was a great way to chuck $329, and I'm keeping it til it passes away, which, from the looks of the build and quality components inside, could be a long, long time. I'm happy as a cherrystone clam.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by D. Ocampo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I must say that I was very impressed by this amp. I have a Marantz THX Ultra certified 5-channel amp (175 W x 5) for my HT set-up and this Rotel can keep up with it. I got the amp and pre-amp for a steal and I am using it to drive a pair of NHT ST-4 towers (which sound absolutely fantastic by themselves) using canare starquad cables in a bi-wire configuration. Power is not an issue with this amp as the power supply is huge. Everything is crystal clear and very non-fatiguing while still bordering on the bright side of warm.

Purchased At:   eBay

Rotel RB-980BX For Sale - Great 2-channel amp

Right now I'm back home from school for the summer and have my AV gear all packed up until I go back to school in the fall. I'm looking to upgrade to a 5.1 HT/Music system and only have room for one amp so this one has to go. Here is the owners manual on Rotel's website: [url]http://www.rotel.co ... Read More »

Award-Winning Axiom: