ROTEL RB-970BXII Amplifiers

4.3/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

60 Watt Power Amplifier (1995-1997)

Submitted by ces4x4 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
Back in 2001 I wrote a review on this amp in this column and gave it two stars.Since then my system has completely changed, I'm currently using a Mac 220 tube pre-amp, B&W CDM9NT speakers, Velodyne SPL 1000 sub, Arcam CD73T cd player, pro-ject turntable, all cabling is solid core single strand copper wiring. This amp really sings when hooked up with these components. I'm now really convinced that there is something to components interacting together. This amp was lifeless in my previous system yet now I have never owned a system that has been this musical. The depth and air surrounding the instruments is huge. Each player in the band can be plainly heard and I can sit in front of this system for hours on end without listening fatigue. I find my foot tapping continuously as I listen to the music and not the components. It's a crying shame it takes such trial and error even among well respected components to come up with a match that is so pleasing. I have an Adcom 555 II that doesn't sound as good as this little rotel. Though the adcom is currently out being modified so we will see how it stands up when I get it back. There is more to component matching then just the components themselves. Even the best components may not give their best sound when hooked up together. I don't know why this is but I can certainly distinguish good sound when I hear it. If the trial and error weren't so expensive it would be fun!!

Submitted by 5Hero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
Came accross one of these a while ago, £50 on eBay, not working. Soon traced to a set of blown outputs on the left channel. Replaced the outputs on both channels and soon realised what a nice sounding amp it was. The key here is 'what you see is what you get' - for the money you can't expect tank like build or enough power output to weld sheet metal but what you do get has been well thought out.

Had it running from a Soundblaster Audigy platinum soundcard on my main PC driving a pair of Celestion Ditton 4's (virtually unknown mid size floorstander, twin 8" bass and soft dome tweeters), nothing more than an Alps volume control inline between it and the soundcard. The Audigy is a mid level soundcard and has never been that musical but the first thing I noticed was how open the midrange had become, combined with a tight punchy bass and sparkling treble...sparkling but not overpowering by any means.

Ran that system for a while, I'd always liked the Dittons but this amp really made them sound good...even running .wav and DVD audio from a PC. Maybe not club sound level stuff but a nice system to really sit down and listen to, especially on acoustic and vocals...very transparent with a good soundfield.

Did try it once in my main system, from a Pioneer reference CD driving my Celestion A3's. Slightly disappointed there, it did sound a bit too pushed and the treble was far brighter than before. But then the A3's are a mammoth speaker and the Rotel would've been punching way above its weight if it could drive them - I think the recommended amp is 250-300w/ch there, go figure.

All in all a nice amp, was quite sorry to see it go.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by klaatu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I decided to buy two of these little amps and bi-amp them to my Monitor Audio speakers I was using at the time.
The sound? Punchy, good detail and nice transparent midrange.
I've been a firm believer that you'll be more surprised by great sounding budget gear in the right system than by mis-matched overpriced high end gear, and these amps are no exception.
I now run Castle Harlech quarter wave floor standers and except from a 'bloom' at the bottom end the Rotels can't be faulted. A previous reviewer mentioned he had trouble driving his Castles, I have had no problem at all and I suggest perhaps this is due to his room shape or floor construction - this can have an enormous effect on the sound of any hi fi.
I've now bought another 2 RB970's off Ebay and will now have a tinker with monoblocking 4 of them. Or try multi channel music with my DVD audio player and Castle Tays (3 of them, centre & rears)
Good fun this hifi stuff!

Micromega T-Drive/T-Dac
Rotel RB990 Pre
Rotel RB970mk2 x 2
Pro-Ject Perspective/Trichord Dino phono stage
Nordost & Audioquest cables

Purchased At:   Axent Audio

Submitted by Scott a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have used 3 60 watt amps in my life so far. All were high current designs. The Denon was good, but had a bit of harshness to its sound and wasn't as powerful on music peaks. The Luxman was the smoothest sounding of the 3, but lacked current on music peaks and was the weakest of the three amps. The Rotel however was pretty darn good. On bass notes, it was strong and tight. This amp has plenty of current on music peaks. On some classical music it scared me when the woofer kicked out. I haven't heard that quality from the other two units I've owned. This amp has plenty of current for 60 watts. I say its under rated. More like 70. Anyway the highs are quite clear with not as much brittleness or harshness like the Denon had. I say its a little bright though. I had Paradigm 5 SE Mk2 speaker which the treble was a little soft, so that helped me a little. The soundstage was quite good, though I have heard better imaging from higher end amps. For the money though these are great buys. I sold off my Rotel gear and am currently running my old Luxman, but I'm now looking for an amp to compliment the Lux since its power output is rather weak. I'm looking for the RB-1050 which is the 970s current model. As a side note I had the 980 Rotel preamp running with my old Rotel amp.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Center Vancouver

Submitted by Euan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Got a great deal to get these power amps...

I used 2 of this AMPs in conjunction with the RC971 to do bi-amping...Yielding a total of 120w to drive my NHTs....Wow, simply amazing, I got layers of layers of soundstage coupled with realsitic imaging. Bass is taut and clean, instruments sounds accurate and vocals sounded grain-free....

Certainly makes a great combo when used in a Bi-amp config.

My conclusion is that : If you are after a warm and relaxinf sound, look elsewhere....But if you want razor sharp and accurate sound, with a rthymic ability to get you involve with the music, then this is it....

Atlantic Technology: